NOUbie Welcome Centre
The nOUbie Welcome Centre is located on Schombase and was created to provide information, help and guidance to Open University group members inworld.
The Inaugral meeting was held on July 10th 2008 and a basic framework was set for the facilities that would be available.
- The proposed name of the centre was “The nOUbie centre”. The group liked this and it was generally adopted. The centre will have some sort of identification added to the building to reflect this.
- A “Buddy Board”. A board in the centre that will have images of volunteer “buddies” and their online/offline status. This would invite visitors to “page” those online if they either needed help or wanted some guidance. During the meeting, snapshots were taken of those who volunteered but others would be welcome.
Note: This would need to include some information about how to page a buddy who isn’t on your friends list.
- Video Tutorials
- Downloadable, short and concise guides to various essential “skills”. These should be written by group members to make it more relevant to the OU Island. Perhaps included in some sort of “Cybrary” in the nOUbie building.
- Some interactive island “Walk through”. The idea would be that one would have a notecard guided tour of the island. It was felt that the idea needed to be developed further before the way this worked would clear.
- Some Freebies! So New residents can obtain an inventory of items that will get them started on the island. This can include, but not be limited to Clothes, Furniture and Landmarks of interest.
- A “Suggestion box” where residents can make comments and request new things
- A new system of teleporter in the centre. Possibly based on a 3D map of the island to orientate new residents.
- A database of Inworld Skills. These would not only be the usual things such as building and scripting but RL skills that can translate in SL. For example, Planning, team working etc. This may lead to some sort of economy where people earn points/lindens for skills exchanging.
- A regular resident induction event where new residents can just turn up and have a short introduction to the island, its residents and its aims. This could also include some visits and practical demonstrations of how to do things.
- A variety of notice boards where suggested but this seem to come down to an “Events calendar”. Maybe clickable to provide comprehensive notecards about the event and its location.
- Faculty representation. Science are currently being consulted about other things at the moment so this faculty seemed the obvious starting point.
- A directory of who is studying what. This would enable those studying the same or similar courses to discuss/share experiences. It would allow others wishing to take a particular course to find out firsthand what that course offered and maybe foster an informal “study buddy” or “study group” system
- Wiki/Web space which would be a follow-up/supplement to inworld activity that everyone could contribute something towards.
Friday July 18th 2008 at 8pm at the nOUbie centre (SchomeBase, SchomeBase (19, 204, 38)).