Author Topic: Another Idea  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Another Idea
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:33:55 AM »
I have noticed a lot of interest in languages around Schome Park - I've had some conversations about what sort of languages we learn at school, and even in some languages, and I think it would be great if a corner could be found somewhere for some kind of 'languages lab', where we can help each other to get to grips with different languages, or have sessions speaking in a specified language. I'm happy to help with this for the languages I speak, but I think that it would be an interesting strand to open if possible, because languages have a lot of use in the real word with increased travel and the like, and they're one of my passions ;).

Trix
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Siobhan

• View Profile
Re: Another Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:23:15 AM »
Great idea Trix - where on the island and what languages?

What topics/languages would others suggest would be good starters?

And..another interesting question.. do you build one area as a 'language lab' for all languages or should there be different spaces for different cultures? What might it look like?

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:35:43 AM »
With the prim count as high as it is, it's probably best to use part of an already existing building to reduce the number of prims needed for a whole new build - I might ask Hapno if we can use part of the library, for example, to make use of a space already there.

Languages wise, I think as many as people are happy to help with - I can do French and German, but a lot of the other SParkers speak something else, Latin, Spanish, Italian etc, so it would be good to know what languages people are willing to help with, if any.

Something with a language such as French would probably be a good starter, because most people learn that at school and can speak it to some level, perhaps with a culture topic of somewhere that is less well known.

Looks-wise, it's probably easiest from the building point of view to have one space that can be adapted for its use - we could have a different country a week, and decorate it in the sort of style of that country, y'know, flags, typical things, if people are willing to do so, some information on notecards or something.

Hmm, just some ideas at the moment.

Trix
P.S. Not meaning to sound rude, but who are you in-world?

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:13:22 PM »
I can do French and German, but a lot of the other SParkers speak something else, Latin, Spanish, Italian etc, so it would be good to know what languages people are willing to help with, if any.

And I'm guessing that a lot of SParkers are native speakers of languages other than English. Perhaps we could branch out from the languages commonly offered at schools and try out something else? Welsh? Urdu? Arabic? Japanese?

How do you communicate in Second Life in a language which doesn't use the Latin alphabet?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »
Second Life claims:

International Language Support:
Users can chat and communicate in their local languages, including Asian character sets. Additionally, European keyboards are supported.
(http://lindenlab.com/press/technology)

There's a Unicode UTF-8 test : http://secondlife.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=255
This will check how your machine can deal with certain figures in world.

Not sure if this means that Second Life draws characters from your computer's existing font set or what comes with SL, but I guess if the Lindens have written a UTF-8 tester then they are saying it will support anything from this character encoding being passed through SL.

I *think* this means if both your computer and your audience's computers have the right character sets on, you can chat in anything that can be encoded in UTF-8. So that's just about anything, including Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters, musical notation and Sumero-Akkadian Cuneiform. Tolkein's scripts don't get in though, so all you elves are going to have to speak human for the time being I am afraid. And we won't even mention the Klingons.

Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »
I *think* this means if both your computer and your audience's computers have the right character sets on, you can chat in anything that can be encoded in UTF-8. So that's just about anything, including Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters, musical notation and Sumero-Akkadian Cuneiform.
One problem with UTF-8 is that it only supports 256 different letters; UTF-16 or UTF-32 would give you the ability to use any of a massive number of letters (216 and 232)

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 07:06:24 AM »
I think UTF-8 can support a wider character set depending on how many bytes per character are allocated:

UTF-8 uses one to four bytes (strictly, octets) per character, depending on the Unicode symbol. Only one byte is needed to encode the 128 US-ASCII characters (Unicode range U+0000 to U+007F). Two bytes are needed for Latin letters with diacritics and for characters from Greek, Cyrillic, Armenian, Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac and Thaana alphabets (Unicode range U+0080 to U+07FF). Three bytes are needed for the rest of the Basic Multilingual Plane (which contains virtually all characters in common use). Four bytes are needed for characters in other planes of Unicode

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf-8)

My interpretation is that UTF-8 (and therefore SL) can cope with pretty well any language. Certainly there are Japanese speaking parts of the Main adult SL grid.

But more than happy if you could dig into this one Decimus, for sure!
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Siobhan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 08:43:05 AM »
Not meaning to sound rude, but who are you in-world?

And there was me thinking the pink hair was a giveaway!

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:46:52 AM »
And there was me thinking the pink hair was a giveaway!

Now you mention it....and have changed your display name...I think I was having a slow moment there!

The UTF-8 keyboard symbols thing sounds great, a bit beyond me, but if my computer does not support Japanese etc. symbols normally, would I still not be able to view them in SL, or does this override the settings of your computer?

Trix
Obviously still half-asleep...

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
I think UTF-8 can support a wider character set depending on how many bytes per character are allocated
Ah. I was assuming stuff again (never do that; 'tis dangerous :P) - because UTF-32 uses 32 bits, I was assuming that UTF-8 used 8 bits...

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 12:15:09 PM »
Another blonde moment, Trix? :P

I still cant get over the fact that you couldnt understand why there were bubbles underwater :D

you mad person, you!

-Hapno
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 12:28:25 PM »
Another blonde moment, Trix? :P

I still cant get over the fact that you couldnt understand why there were bubbles underwater :D

you mad person, you!

-Hapno

Shut up! It's not my fault I have blonde days, despite being well and truly brunette :P.

And yes, I realise I am mad. Now, back on topic. Would you like a languages section thingy?

Trix

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 03:26:32 PM »
With the prim count as high as it is, it's probably best to use part of an already existing building to reduce the number of prims needed for a whole new build - I might ask Hapno if we can use part of the library, for example, to make use of a space already there.

That sounds like a very sensible way to go ...

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 04:24:41 PM »
Language Lab wiki page

At the moment, this is still in the planning stages - perhaps an informal meeting next week would help to organise things?

And if everyone, SParkers and staff, could write up what languages they speak from an interest point of view if nothing else, that would be great (though if you speak something that isn't French or German, as loads of people seem to do that, it would be great if you would help out occasionally). Link to that page is on the page given above.

Trix