Author Topic: Hoping for a new thread.....  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Hoping for a new thread.....
« on: April 13, 2007, 12:19:01 AM »
Hello, all, your resident physican here!

I was just wondering, would we be able to open a forum for psychology? I have noticed a couple of members here and there getting liking the idea, and i have already built (and currently; furnishing) the facilty, Psychology is a large fascination for me, d'you think we could also consider getting funding for a teacher?

(I know, high hopes, but not all schools teach psychology, and i'd really like to learn it, going through a large and heavy textbook gets a bit tedious after a while :( )

-Hapno
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping for a new thread.....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
I, too, think it would be interesting, since psychology is not offered at my school, and otherwise I would never have the chance to have a go at it. What we've done so far is really interesting, but it would be great to get support if possible ;).

Trix
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Wheelo Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »
I'm all for this.  I want to get into psychology, but it's too late to join the course at college.
One of the hardcore Schomers who have been in the SL Corps since the great prim wars ;)
(Quote from Flio)

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
right, so thats myself, Trix, Wheelo and Faz mentioned he'd like to join (if the flat-footed furball can get online :P)

Ranger? I belive its your cue to make a statment on the devlopment of other areas.

-Hapno
-Doctor Schomer

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »
Happy to open an new board on Psychology for folk. That is easy.

I don't have any more funding to buy in additional staffing - but there are other ways of going about this, for example:
  • there may well be existing members of the Schome Park community with psychology expertise
  • there is at least one person who is planning to come on Schome Park (waiting for their CRB Disclosure to come through) who works in the Psychology Department at the OU - so when that comes through the key will be encouraging them to play
  • there might be other ways to attract folk to play - anyone know any psychologists who would like to help us out?

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:35:39 PM »
Happy to open an new board on Psychology for folk. That is easy.

A thought - at the moment the main 'curriculum' discussion boards are organised around fairly standard subjects (physics, ethics and philosophy, archaeology). To what extent do those categories work - would we do better to have discussion boards that were around projects and that thus pulled in elements of lots of different subjects?

So - as an off the top of my head example - governance is something that spans lots of important aspects of things (ethics and philosophy, law, psychology, politics, etc).

What do you reckon?

Peter
PS I know that Fox or Euphoozie posted a very similar message to this somewhere else ... but I don't think anyone picked up on it so giving it another run ...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:27:55 AM by mgaved »

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
'Standard'? I dare argue that Archarology is a standard topic! However, I dont suppose i've had much experiance in it, so I'm probably wrong!  ;)

Anywho, Psychology does indeed cover many, many topics; at closer inspection you could say it covers 'all' topics, as it studies man and its behavoir, whilst physics (well, the study of) Philosophy and Archaelology are all man-made subjects, therefore, there is psychology in each field. (Philosophy:culteral diffrences, Physics=the adminstartion of the mind, approval of facts. Archaeloldy=Study of past culture)

Personally, i'd rather have a dedicated board, then cluttering up the others with why, how and when questions.

-Hapno

I am aware we have a few people already on-board; if they'd like to teach us...then, help yourself!

Right now, I see Schome as a kind of extra-curicliem device, though i'd like it to function as a full school in the future.....
-Doctor Schomer

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 05:06:55 AM »
'Standard'? I dare argue that Archarology is a standard topic! ...

I agree Hapno that from a school perspective some of our 'strands' are not 'standard subjects' - however they are 'standard' discipline areas at university and in the wider world (which is what I meant). You know my views on school ...

I'm definitely open to persuasion if there is a strong lobby that feels another 'discipline' focussed board (on Psychology) would be valuable ...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:28:42 AM by mgaved »