Author Topic: Plans for 'Writer's Corner'  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Wintermute Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
Plans for 'Writer's Corner'
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
Hello all, dear old white-haired Wintermute wants to express his verbal abilty (and make a laughing-stock of his poor spelling) by asking that a small space be provided for a 'Writer's Corner' where bookworms (such as myself :P) would allow to be gathered, whilst there was some sort of item to link to classic lit. possibly with a sitting area (and of course, hot coffee!) I imagine it could be set out like a library where bookcases take you to online books, or, if the project is upgraded, a SL scene where you could explore the interpretations of one SL designer of said book.

Physics, Archology and Philosophy are all fine indeed, but in a world where we can create ANYTHING we want, surely there is place for writers?

Thanks for reading

-Wintermute
What do you want to know today?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Plans for 'Writer's Corner'
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »
Nice plan - which fits in with our original thoughts about what would be on the first floor of the Scho-Op - this was originally going to be a library.

Would be happy for you to work with a group to use part of the first floor of the Scho-Op as a library and reading area - leaving half for the Research Group to use.

Of course you can also meet in the Japanese Garden to talk about book (or whatever).

There is already a creative writing group in the schome community - started by some home educators - and I'm sure they would be happy for you to link out from and extend their pages in the wiki - check out Storybuilders. The home educators in question are a bit younger than you folk - but home educators generally like working across ages ... And the group has not been frantically active - so scope for new blood inject some new energy ...

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »
Forgot to mention that there is also already a Book reviews page in the wiki - which you could add to (my suggestion would be to turn the book reviews page into an index of book reviews, with each review/book having a seperate page of its own).

PeterT

Offline Wintermute Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:37:14 AM »
Well, it seems people like the idea, after talking with Mark, Baso, Trix and Flooosie, we all seem to of aggreed on the idea of recreating a scene from a book in second life, wwe all aggreed on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, though if you'd rather have a more simple challange, making a scene from 'moby dick' is fine by me (note to builders: since we really cant go about creating whole scenes, an optical illusion will have to be used, IE instead of looking down into a fully sized crevice with the Iron Giant at the bottom, you'll have to make the whole scene a lot smaller, to give the illuison of distance and height. This also makes building alot easier, as not so much detail will be required.)

Anyway, i'll bring this up tonight at the meeting (19:00) see you then!
What do you want to know today?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Well, it seems people like the idea, after talking with Mark, Baso, Trix and Flooosie, we all seem to of aggreed on the idea of recreating a scene from a book in second life, wwe all aggreed on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, though if you'd rather have a more simple challange, making a scene from 'moby dick' is fine by me (note to builders: since we really cant go about creating whole scenes, an optical illusion will have to be used, IE instead of looking down into a fully sized crevice with the Iron Giant at the bottom, you'll have to make the whole scene a lot smaller, to give the illuison of distance and height. This also makes building alot easier, as not so much detail will be required.)

Anyway, i'll bring this up tonight at the meeting (19:00) see you then!
We have a holodeck - not sure how it works - NanoDave knows I think - but I suspect that this is exactly the sort of thing that it is designed for ...

NanoDave - Woop - any thoughts re how the holodeck works?

PeterT
PS Schoming Pidgeon has it

khairoun

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 07:20:08 AM »
There's a bunch of info on www.stagework.org.uk about how the stage and scenes were built for the theatre adaptation of His Dark Materials.

A lot of stuff in there on how the set designers made their decsions, plus stuff from the stage director and Philip Pullman on the decisions made in adapting. Might be useful background for recreating a static scene, also I wonder how a an acted scene might be in SL?

The HDM stuff starts here: His Dark Materials

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:35:17 AM by khairoun »

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »
Hey  if you want static scenes making ill get them for you, there is a L$10 price tag im afraid, but this goes into making the scenes. Ask me next time im in world. happy to do it for you :-)
-Mars