Author Topic: virtual ephemera or first draft of history?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Fraternal Writer

• View Profile
virtual ephemera or first draft of history?
« on: April 27, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »

There is an old cliché about not knowing where we are until we know where we came from. But how will others in the future find out about their roots? We are at the cutting edge of learning in Second Life. People might well look back on this period as one of excitement and expansion and wonder what part you played in it all.

If what you've been up to is not important then we could junk the whole lot as so much virtual ephemera. B ???ut who is to judge? And when? And if what you are doing is important, then shouldn’t we preserve the artefacts, the dialogue and yes even the trivia so that we don’t have to reinvent the wheel because the ideas got lost.

And if we preserve all this material (as code? as screenshots?) who should have access and when? Should we have a 50 year rule or broaden access via the web? If we need a plan, rules, policies then should we have rules about other records you might be keeping (diary, blog etc) which aid preservation of the records of the Schome Pioneers?

If we don’t write our history, somebody else might. And if we don't preserve anything, what records will they use?

I’d be pleased to find out your answers to these questions.

Fraternal Writer

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Re: virtual ephemera or first draft of history?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »
Yes, we are making history. We're almost certainly at the forefront of something huge.

Just as TV's doing re-enactments of life in a Victorian house and a 1940s house, we could live to see re-enactments of life on an early 21st-century sim!
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »
And one of the things we are very keen to do is document what is happening - hence the wiki and the SLog.

The question of what needs to be retained is a fascinating one - as a hoarder I'm for keeping 'everything' - and when so much of it is digital that becomes possible - the question them becomes how to make it accessible/useful to others ...

We need help with all this sort of stuff - so looking forward to hearing more of your views Fraternal Writer (and others) (and get bliking and SLoging you SParkers - on your own userpages, in the Schome Park bliki and in your SLogBooks

PeterT
PS Hi Fraternal Writer - and welcome to the community!   :)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:20:27 AM »
This link from Khairoun might come in useful - it's about museums in Second Life
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2007/abstracts/prg_325000947.html
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
Fraternal wrote:
...then shouldn’t we preserve the artefacts, the dialogue and yes even the trivia so that we don’t have to reinvent the wheel because the ideas got lost

I agree (bias: ex-librarian).

However, a question:  can we preserve SchomePark faithfully without access to the Second Life servers? Because the server software runs on Linden Labs servers, doesn't this mean that we couldn't actually run a mirror of the actual Schome Park for somebody to fly through and explore in their own time off the internet?

I think the current situation is that we could only preserve a model of the "real" SchomePark artefact given access to this code. Or can we download a copy of the SchomePark 'model' in the hope that one day Linden would give us access to the code itself?

An analogy might be somebody holding the copy of a 3D Studio Max file on a disc (3d modelling program), but not having access to the program itself. They might have screenshots of the 3D image, paper print outs, but not the actual model itself.

(we'll ignore the issue about keeping a machine for 50 years/whatever that can run the program...)

Yes, I think it would be great to keep versions of SchomePark as it evolves. I was part of the small team that built Virgin Music Group's first website in 1994 and I really regret that we didn't keep copies of it as it evolved.

Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:50:49 PM »
Well, we make history in a small way by being listed in the SL History
http://www.slhistory.org/index.php/Teen_Sims-_Estate

This page is also useful for listing the other educators based on the Teen Grid. Not that many at the moment.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »
Reviving an old thread here...
Fraternal Writer and I have been invited to write a section of the Open University's new course in Heritage Studies (A280).
We're going to be writing about virtual heritage - if it's important, why it's important and what it can tell us about the more conventional types of heritage.
I want to include a case study of Schome Park - how we use heritage and how we are developing our own heritage/history.
I've pencilled a couple of sessions into the events page for talking about this.
I'd be interested to talk to people about museums, castles, memorials, archives, archaeology, re-enactments, historical costumes, Easter Island-style statues and anything else in Second Life which you feel is relevant.
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Schome_Park_Events

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »
Reviving an old thread here...
Fraternal Writer and I have been invited to write a section of the Open University's new course in Heritage Studies (A280).
We're going to be writing about virtual heritage - if it's important, why it's important and what it can tell us about the more conventional types of heritage.
I want to include a case study of Schome Park - how we use heritage and how we are developing our own heritage/history.
I've pencilled a couple of sessions into the events page for talking about this.
I'd be interested to talk to people about museums, castles, memorials, archives, archaeology, re-enactments, historical costumes, Easter Island-style statues and anything else in Second Life which you feel is relevant.
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Schome_Park_Events

Clearly blikis are important in this context ... anyone updated the SPii bliki recently?

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
Topper did today, and btw, I've started a completely separate bliki/blog for our work on Titanic. Just thought I'd bring that up  ::)
-Mars

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »
Topper did today, and btw, I've started a completely separate bliki/blog for our work on Titanic. Just thought I'd bring that up  ::)
When referring to pages in the wiki it would help a lot if you could include a hot link ...  ;)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »
Thank you! Sorry  :-\
-Mars