Author Topic: Supporting each other in the Schome Park Environment  (Read 25792 times)

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
Re: Supporting each other in the Schome Park Environment
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
Ah, yes. I remember showing people how to do the freckles.  :)

(Good to hear from you Vibia)
Havent had all that much time to come on recently. Exams.  :( 1 down, 7 to go.  ::)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »
Havent had all that much time to come on recently. Exams.  :( 1 down, 7 to go.  ::)

Good luck with the exams, Vibia. :)

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:29:13 PM »
Sky base never reopened Amba. I think i am responasble for that with my anti big build rants...

Topper

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
Aw, thanks for posting Topper - it was just an innocent question as I wasn't around much for most of the skybase related activities. I expect you all decided what was best as a group rather than individually.

A quick search for skybase on the forum just now showed up a lot of postings! I used to follow the building discussions avidly once I had joined the project because I was very interested in how you took decisions collectively. I'm sure you would have had a lot of in-world discussions about it as well which I would have missed. There's clearly a whole, very interesting research topic there in its own right.

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »
I remember the argument about the big builds. It was a hard one. Sky base was very useful when I first started but then once we had all become accustomed to how everything worked it wasnt needed as much anymore, although it was quite a nice place to meet up with people in.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 09:21:51 PM »
Yeah, I remember the argument about the huge buildings. I distinctly remember the main problem being the fact that they tended to eat about half the object allowance for the land... *glares at LL* :P

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Ah, yes. It wasnt the space as they were in the sky, its just that there was little allowance left for us little people to practice with.  ;)

We did have some good times didn't we??  :lol:

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »
We did, yes :D
I remember the wedding and staff "thanks" party we held at skybase II....that was both fun and interesting..lots of tubes all over to get to different places...and the quite obvious competition that Mars and Skybase seemed to have with ideas from both myself and mars being simular but wanting to do them as part of our own building..hehe..in reflection seemed so stupid.

I remeber that i was going to reform skybase for the "newer" stage..however make it much smaller, infact if memory serves...PeterT did ask me to do it as part of the orientation thing..but as soon as he deeded the land..half of woops and elsa's objects got returned (over the prim allowance thing)

Ah, yes. It wasnt the space as they were in the sky, its just that there was little allowance left for us little people to practice with.  ;)
Well, when you have two skybases plus machinima sets..plus race tracks..plus the hude AI thing...it all adds up!

In hinesight (spelt that right?) the skybase II did eat up about a thousand..maybe two thousand prims...Skybase one was slightly less before the additions of SkyLounge and SkyAppartments that i had little control over. 
!!Baso!!

Offline Kali Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »

I would say that everyone (well most people) had a lot of fun. I know that i certainly did. All the sessions that were run and all the random stuff we did, like the space experiment, the builds, the popgun wars etc etc.
All was all great fun :)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 05:24:00 AM »

I would say that everyone (well most people) had a lot of fun. I know that i certainly did. All the sessions that were run and all the random stuff we did, like the space experiment, the builds, the popgun wars etc etc.
All was all great fun :)

Yup - I have particularly fond memories of Phase 1 (which let's face it was the time when I was most active in Schome Park) - like the time I was trying to sort out the griefer attack and ended up deleting most of the SchoOp by mistake (sorry Woop)  :-[

Trixxiee publishing pictures (with amusing captions) which showed our talent for dancing.

And Wintermute - being Wintermute - what more need I say?!  :lol:
Wonder what he is calling himself these days ...  ;)

PeterT

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 05:43:10 AM »
I’d like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. This is exactly what I was looking for and also exactly what I was hoping we would be able to capture and share with others at the JISC RSC Eastern event on the 31st March.

There was something unique about some of the young learners’ interactions and originality of approach. You were keenly aware of difficulties and came up with ways of dealing with them.

Thanks for posting PeterT. It is a shame that you were really mainly only active in Phase 1. I will always feel that I was never able to see Schome Park at its best, but happily some of the sense of adventure  did spill over into Phases 2 and 3 and of course there were a few new people which added to the interest.

I am intending to capture some of the happiness and the way in which you worked with each other at some stage. It is obviously too late for the 31st March event and for the thing I was working on a couple of weeks ago, but not too late in general!

It must feel strange to think about things which happened over two years ago (especially for those for whom 2 years represents a significant percentage of their age!  :lol:) but these considered reflections are valuable. Keep ‘em coming!

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »

Yup - I have particularly fond memories of Phase 1 (which let's face it was the time when I was most active in Schome Park) - like the time I was trying to sort out the griefer attack and ended up deleting most of the SchoOp by mistake (sorry Woop)  :-[

PeterT

By the way, this has always confused me. I have heard the story told at many conferences and events and always wondered, why didn't you simply return by owner?  ???

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 06:07:42 AM »
It is most likely that we didnt do that...because we didnt know how..or didnt think of it as a possibility, we just dealt with it as it happened. Was definatly a learning experience.
!!Baso!!

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »
I think when Peter says 'deleted' he means 'returned to owner'. We didn't lose the Scho-op for long.

And it's fairly easy to do when you're Developer Schomer - mis-click and you've removed something significant. I'm sure we drove Woop to distraction by doing it. I once spent an hour or so clearing boats and motorbikes from unlikely places - and accidentally removed a large segment of Schome Beta's roof.  :(

Mark you, it did make it a lot easier to get in for a while  :P
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »
Mark you, it did make it a lot easier to get in for a while  :P

Definitely!
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter