Author Topic: Supporting each other in the Schome Park Environment  (Read 25756 times)

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
Supporting each other in the Schome Park Environment
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »
Hello Schome People!

I’m wondering whether you can help with a bit of research?

We’re thinking about help and support in the Schome Park Environment (ie. Schome Park + the forum and wiki). I’m particularly interested in technical skills such as doing and making things in-world, wiki editing, image editing an so on, but happy for you to tell me about anything you like.

Who did you look to for support? Did you support anyone yourself? Did this change over time during your involvement with Schome? Can you point me to any examples on the forum or in chat logs?

There is a bit of a tight deadline for this which is ... erm... today (or maybe tomorrow morning), but of course this is fun to think about regardless of my deadlines and may contribute to future papers so feel free to keep adding stuff as you think of it.

(For example, I remember Animus (or was it Faz?  ;)) showing me how to make doors and windows, and I remember making spirals with Spiral (who else!)  :lol:)

Offline Rowan

• SP core
    • View Profile
Re: Supporting each other in the Schome Park Environment
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
Hello Amba
I would say that in general I found it such a supportive environment.  :) I often needed help and it would be more difficult to think of anyone who didn't support me in some way, at some time rather than who did.  The ethos was very supportive and even if someone didn't know the answer to the question you were asking they would often point you in a helpful suggestion. 
I think that was especially true inworld and in the forum.  In the forum though I think I should especially put a shout out for 'Fox' who was always on the alert!
good luck with your work and everything
Rowan SParker

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
Hi Rowan!

Thanks for the reply. I think it is significant that in the Schome Park Environment, adults and teens could go in as 'learners' (regardless of age and off-schome status) and seek support from anyone who was listening. I think that aspect worked very well.

I'm really looking for about 4 quotes (from either the forum or old chatlogs), for specific examples of how support was given. I'm wondering whether the teens in particular became more confident about providing support for others as the SPP progressed.

(My feeling from my memories of time spent in the SPE is that they did, I've just been wading through chatlogs for specific examples and was wondering whether I could speed up the process by posting here!  ;)).

In-world chat-log snippets would be particularly useful as would pointers such as approximate date, subject matter and so forth.

I have a list of occassions in my head, such as the time we had an impromptu vehicle building class just because one of the learners was interested, another knew what needed to be done, and the rest of us decided it looked interesting enough to hang around and join in to learn + contribute!  :). That was around the end of Phase 2, in the SPA sandbox. Just wondered whether anyone else had any pointers too.

Thanks again,
Amba

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
Helloooo.... first post in AGES!!!

I found help in the very first few weeks from the staff, like Mark, Fox, Siobhan and Peter (to name just a few). I was completely new to the environment and didn't have a clue what I was doing.
I also remember that in the first few weeks, when Baso set up the very first SkyBase, he took me to some orange and purple squared building up at 5000m or so and we chatted for a while getting to know each other. I then went for tea or something and came back to find Baso wasn't there. Being completely new I was scared to leave the building because 1) I didn't have a clue where I was and 2) I was scared that if I feel into the greyness that was the sky then I'd lose my avatar :P
-Mars

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:29 PM »
Thanks Mars - great to hear from you!!  :) 8)

That is a useful example. By the time I first accessed Schome Park in (September 2007, less than 3 months after the start of Phase 2), you had already built up considerable expertise and were confidently supporting and advising newcomers.

Haven't seen Baso here for a while either. Do you know whether Baso knew more than the others at the beginning? I wonder whether he had spent more time in SP or whether he already knew about virtual worlds from elsewhere...

I missed Phase 1, so difficult for me to picture how things were then. It seems that it did not take any of you more than a few weeks to master the basics and then you branched out to develop your own areas of interest.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
If i remember correctly Baso had had some experience on the main grid before joining schome...

Topper

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
I think he said he had or was part of a company on it..?

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 05:00:34 AM »
Thanks Topper and Animus.

My feeling is that our ‘roles’ were blurred in the Schome Park Environment. No one was a just a “teacher” or a just a “student” in the SPE. We had lots of participants with different levels of expertise in different things. All were free to “teach” or “learn” (or simply “hang out”) as they felt appropriate. (By “Teaching” here I mean the sharing of expert knowledge with others combined with providing some “support for learning”).

I'm focussing on technical skills (in-world, wiki-editing, digital media processing and so on) and looking for examples which show participants behaving as ‘non-experts’, ‘learners’, ‘experts’, ‘learning facilitators’ and so on. I'm looking for specific examples of participants being all those things at different times (and / or in different contexts). I'd also be interested to hear of any examples to the contrary.

I have some quotes already and my deadline is long gone*, but I am interested in all this, so keep the examples flowing in, if you can! Who knows, we may make a wiki page for them one day!

Thanks again,
Amba  :)

*  "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." – Douglas Adams
http://www.quotes-museum.com/quote/344

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
My feeling is that our ‘roles’ were blurred in the Schome Park Environment. No one was a just a “teacher” or a just a “student” in the SPE. We had lots of participants with different levels of expertise in different things. All were free to “teach” or “learn” (or simply “hang out”) as they felt appropriate.
IIRC, that was the point of Schome in the first place, so yay, it worked :P

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." – Douglas Adams
I like that one.
I personally don't have that problem - I have the problem that I do essays/short stories/etc. at around 8pm the day before it's due in, because I can't be bothered... Fun times!

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »
Hello Decimus!
IIRC, that was the point of Schome in the first place, so yay, it worked :P

LOL!! Made me laugh so much that had to log in and say thank you!  :lol: :lol:

(Not all plans work. I think it's worth recognising and celebrating the ones that do!  ;) :-)

I personally don't have that problem - I have the problem that I do essays/short stories/etc. at around 8pm the day before it's due in, because I can't be bothered... Fun times!
:)

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
IIRC stands for..?  ???

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »
Either
'If I recall correctly'
or
'Interactive Illinois Report Card'
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
I remember Skybase. I found that really helpful. I had no idea as to how to do anything and I was talked through it by Baso and I think Mars talked me through some stuff too, it took me quite a while to get the hang of it all. I was quicker at learning on the clothes though, I kinda taught myself on that one.  ;)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 07:23:16 AM »
I was quicker at learning on the clothes though, I kinda taught myself on that one.  ;)

... and went on to share your expertise with others, of course!  8) :) (I remember being a weird shade of blue with freckles at our 'funny skins and hair' evening ... though I don't think we called it that).

Phase 1 Skybase sounds fun. Was it rebuilt in Phase 2? I remember visiting places in the sky ... never thought to ask what they were called, but they were clearly centres of great activity!

(Good to hear from you Vibia)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox