Author Topic: Discussion of draft thingy  (Read 14392 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Re: Discussion of draft thingy
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »
I'm still struggling with the notions of 'schomey' and 'Schome values'. Here's my stab at them. Could other people chip in and say what they think it means to be Schomey?

Schome will be an education system for the knowledge age.
Key characteristics of Schome - and thus of activities on SchomeBase and Schome Park are;
  • Learners have control of their learning.
    Learning together.
    Learning as partners.
    Learning is exciting.
    Using ICT to expand learning opportunities.
    Global connections.
    Working to include everyone.
    Nothing is set in stone.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »

I totally agree.  In fact you have identified the problem I had when drafting this article.  I wanted to include some information about the Schome Initiative but wasn't sure how the two communities fit together, also, how much the intended readership of the article (OU students) knew about Schome.   The article can certainly be amended to address this.  Also, the format of articles on the Sesame website provide a sidebar for links to related URLs, articles, etc.  Perhaps we could include the URLs you have given or links to some other relevant article?

There was an article about Schome Park in Sesame back in September 07! Check out Schome in the media for a link to that article (and a few others) - but I dare say most OU students won't know anything about the Schome Initiative at all.

Very happy for relevant links to schome info to be included in the sidebar ...  :)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
Must learn to read all the thread before responding - was halfway through a response to a message way down the pile!

As usual I agree with most of the things most people have said - even where they appear to be disagreeing with each other - for for example:
The two islands have different purposes. One is primarily designed to provide an immersive campus for OU students. The other is designed to support development of  'a new form of educational system...
Either this view is slightly out of date of what's happeing on the ground is in serious conflict with policy. A number of Open University students took up residence on Schomebase some time ago. The area they occupy is a hothouse of ideas - both of the conventional type and the more "schomey." These ideas blossom into activities, many of which happen on Open Life. I would be very disappointed in the Open Life admin if they started objecting to this on principle.

Fox is correct in saying that the prime underlying purpose of SchomeBase is to support the Schome Initiative's work in developing Schome (the education system for the information age).  Developing a community which is 'a hothouse of ideas' is definitely part of the strategy for achieving this aim.

Amba has made post about the distinctions between OpenLife and SchomeBase - and I agree that it is the intention that the two islands have different foci - with OpenLife being a space for more formal activity (ie OU course related activity) and SchomeBase being for informal activity - and that is pretty much what is happening at the moment.

I am keen to pick up on Dan's suggestion about doing more to showcase what schome is about (and what has been happening on Schome Park) - though much of the important stuff is pretty ephemeral and about the attitudes and ways of working within the community. The more we talk and interact with each other the more that will evolve and develop.

Interesting times ahead ...

PeterT
PS Re the unfriendly avatars - yes if they are called something like nSchome Magic then they are ones used in staff development sessions to give folk a first experience of Second Life. When they are being used in this way the people using them are all in the same physical space and there is someone leading the session who is also in-world. Needless to say these sessions are a bit crazy - you know how hard it is to take a group on a guided tour when they have only been inworld for a short while .... Totally agree that we should warn people before this happens in future - sorry for not having done so in the past.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
I'm still struggling with the notions of 'schomey' and 'Schome values'. Here's my stab at them. Could other people chip in and say what they think it means to be Schomey?

Schome will be an education system for the knowledge age.
Key characteristics of Schome - and thus of activities on SchomeBase and Schome Park are;
  • Learners have control of their learning.
    Learning together.
    Learning as partners.
    Learning is exciting.
    Using ICT to expand learning opportunities.
    Global connections.
    Working to include everyone.
    Nothing is set in stone.

My tupenceworth is summarised here  :)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
Maybe you could say something about the theoretical stance being situated social constructivist? I'm guessing that's an unfamiliar string of words to a lot of people accessing the forum.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »
Maybe you could say something about the theoretical stance being situated social constructivist? I'm guessing that's an unfamiliar string of words to a lot of people accessing the forum.

A very potted (otherwise known as PeterT's version) interpretation might be:

Situated - meaning we believe that everything is dependent upon context.

Social constructivist - meaning we believe that everything is socially defined - you experience the world through a set of lenses which are created by the social contexts in which you have been immersed. 

Looking forward to someone else providing more coherent explanations.  :P

Offline Kickaha Wolfenhaut

• View Profile
    • Open University Study Journal
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 08:32:42 PM »

lol Pretty off-putting to our poor readers too. I much prefer the "working to include everyone" stance.

Anything needing its own thread to decypher is probably not suited to an article intended to attract new people!  :P

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »

lol Pretty off-putting to our poor readers too. I much prefer the "working to include everyone" stance.

Anything needing its own thread to decypher is probably not suited to an article intended to attract new people!  :P

Indeed - and to be honest our underlying theoretical stance is probably of no interest or relevance to most folk using SchomeBase (a bit like knowing how your car engine works - you don't need to know that in order to drive it).

PeterT  ::)

Offline CQ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »
This has been an interesting discussion which I have just read (in it's entirety).

I, like most of my fellow OU students, came to OL/Schome, from the OU's advertising of it on our student webpages, coupled with a Sesame article.

I have gained a little understanding of the Schome philosophy and I am very interested in it. However, until now I was not aware of anyway of making any input.

I think that the academics in Schome could do well to involve the likes of the OU students more in their project.

I am an OU graduate (BSc) who is now working on a BA Humanities. I have spent my 43 years completely based in Maths and Science. Then a couple of years ago did one of the second level music courses and am now embarking on a full blown Arts degree.

On top of that I am the father of 7 children (ages 22 - 5) and have been a school governor for about 15 years.

Whilst I am not an educator, education is something which I see as vital - in a Life Long Learning way.

In work I am the finance director of a software company (also a computer programmer).

It seems to me that the cross section of society that OU students represent is one which Schome would do well to analyse and utilise.

I have found my interactions in SL - all of which have been within OL/Schome - enjoyable and useful.

Andrew R.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »
Welcome to Schome, CQ.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
This has been an interesting discussion which I have just read (in it's entirety).

I, like most of my fellow OU students, came to OL/Schome, from the OU's advertising of it on our student webpages, coupled with a Sesame article.

I have gained a little understanding of the Schome philosophy and I am very interested in it. However, until now I was not aware of anyway of making any input.

I think that the academics in Schome could do well to involve the likes of the OU students more in their project.

I am an OU graduate (BSc) who is now working on a BA Humanities. I have spent my 43 years completely based in Maths and Science. Then a couple of years ago did one of the second level music courses and am now embarking on a full blown Arts degree.

On top of that I am the father of 7 children (ages 22 - 5) and have been a school governor for about 15 years.

Whilst I am not an educator, education is something which I see as vital - in a Life Long Learning way.

In work I am the finance director of a software company (also a computer programmer).

It seems to me that the cross section of society that OU students represent is one which Schome would do well to analyse and utilise.

I have found my interactions in SL - all of which have been within OL/Schome - enjoyable and useful.

Andrew R.

Hi Andrew and thanks for your comments - I am feeling a bit remiss cos I should have been being more proactive about telling folk on SchomeBase about the Schome Initiative. I'm very keen to include OU students within the Schommunity - which is why we decided to co-locate OpenLife and SchomeBase.

Feeling very positive about how this will all work out ... even without knowing anything about the Schome Initiative the things that OU students have been doing on SchomeBase has been very schomey - about learners working together to support each other's learning (where everyone is seen as being a learner). 

Really looking forward to working with you (and everyone else who wants to be involved) and seeing how the community on SchomeBase develops. 8)

Offline Scathach

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
This article for Sesame has been put on hold for a few weeks.  There will be some changes happening to Schomebase/Open Life whch may require a major reworking of the article.   A new draft will be produced when things are clearer.