Author Topic: Discussion on the new Notecards written by Kickaha and Scathach.  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Becka

• View Profile
What do you think about the cards? Improvements? How should they be distributed?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Discussion on the new Notecards written by Kickaha and Scathach.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:36:15 PM »
Haven't seen them so can't comment (I know that hasn't stopped me putting in my 2p worth in the past  ::) ) - might it be helpful to copy their text into here (or the wiki) so everyone can see what we are talking about?  ???

Offline Eshala

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »
I haven't laid eyes on them yet  :-\

Offline Lambchop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »
Haven't seen them. Where are they?
 :'( :'(

Offline Kickaha Wolfenhaut

• View Profile
    • Open University Study Journal
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:50 AM »
The draft help cards are saved in Word 97-2003 format in a 7.18MB compressed folder which can be downloaded by right-clicking on the
link below and selecting Save Target As...

http://www.withnail.co.uk/DRAFTHELPCARDS9703.zip

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
The draft help cards are saved in Word 97-2003 format in a 7.18MB compressed folder which can be downloaded by right-clicking on the
link below and selecting Save Target As...

http://www.withnail.co.uk/DRAFTHELPCARDS9703.zip

When folk said 'notecards' I assumed them meant in-world notecards - my experience with those has been that you can only put text on them and the formatting available is very limited. Have I missed something (please say yes cos I would love to be able to use notecards in world which included images and decent formatting facilites!).

???

Offline Kickaha Wolfenhaut

• View Profile
    • Open University Study Journal
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:34:53 AM »
Sorry, you haven't missed anything in the standard SL world, as far as I know.

However, Scath and I have discussed using in-world books. I have an in-world publishing thingy which can be used to produce an interactive book (the pages actually turn, lol) suitable for the cards including their graphics. Perhaps they (or the version Scath uses) can be used as a HUD, which might be more practical.

Part of the plan was always to make these cards viewable at the nOUbie Centre and/or sanndbox on either separate "noticeboards" or on a viewer/vendor. Again, we have all the neccessary bits and bobs for this.

I would also like to see stuff like this translated as well as possible to notecards, Web pages on the wiki and even the OU FirstClass forum. Would so-called "accessible" versions (such as audio) be appropriate? My guess is that SL pretty much excludes those who might be after that kind of thing, but I'm asking anyway, cos I am very ignorant on that subject.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »
All sound like good ideas to me - so long as we bear in mind keeping things as simple as possible for the users (are the books very easy to use?). Maybe we should try a couple of formats for the first 'card' and see which folk find the most accessible. 

Re audio versions - like you I know nothing re accessibility issues for partially sighted folk in virtual worlds ... anyone know anything about this aspect of things?  ???