Author Topic: Discussion about what we should provide as a "Guided Tour"  (Read 5783 times)

Offline Becka

• View Profile
Discussion about what we should provide as a "Guided Tour"
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:31:59 PM »
Hi - Here you can discuss any ideas you have for the proposed nOUbie guided tours.

Offline Becka

• View Profile
Re: Discussion about what we should provide as a "Guided Tour"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
Here are Kerrys thoughts sent aroud at the meeting :

Kerrys thoughts:

Places to go:

Sandbox

Icerink

the halls

Drums

Underwater cavern with octopus

Events area

Treehouse

Acappella area

nOUbie centre

Open Degree

Other thoughts: Maybe conduct the tour on a magic carpet or a plane of some sort, or if possible to set up have some sort of teleport post at each location to transport people to the next destination.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
Or turn it into a 'treasure hunt'?  ::) ??? >:D

Offline Eshala

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 07:24:47 PM »
This is my notecard I should have handed round at the meeting but I think I handed Kerrys round instead  ???

Eshalas thoughts.

Places to go:

These are in no particular order as yet

Ice rink 􀀀

Underwater cave 􀀁

Diving Platform with swing opposite 􀀂

Platform in tree with seating 􀀃

Steel drums 􀀄

The halls 􀀅

Events space 􀀆

Acappella walkthru 􀀇

Open degree building 􀀈

The beach/sandbox 􀀉

Treehouse with seating and pool table 􀀊

nOUbie centre and learning spaces 􀀋

Thought a fly round the island on the magic carpet (or similar) to finish would be good

Thoughts:

How do we transport the tourists - on foot, flying, tp, magic carpet <-- bit like a bus tour hehe

How many guides for the tour?

How to keep in contact with everyone?

Offline Kickaha Wolfenhaut

• View Profile
    • Open University Study Journal
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:07:28 AM »
I think such a tour ought to stick to the "useful" locations. If we over-egg the pudding, there will be nothing left for new people to discover themselves. For example, I would be in favour of including the sandbox, but against including the mountain-top ice rink.

As for the actual tour execution, we have a choice between supervised and unsupervised tours. All other factors being equal, supervised tours obviously have huge advantages over unsupervised ones. However, regardless of whether such supervised tours were timetables or conducted on request there will be many times when a potential inductee's availability doesn't coincide with that of the Schomebase helpers. So my feeling is that unsupervised tours, while not ideal, enable us to cast the net wider than supervised ones.

I would like to suggest that such tours be automated rides. Since we are aiming to serve the complete novice, it might be tempting fate to stick a notecard in his hand and shove him out of the nOUbie Centre door. In my view, the treasure hunt idea would be a great way of getting the new folk started on their own exploration of the islands' nooks and crannies - but after the basic orientation of a gentle ride with chat commentary.

I once bought a balloon tour system and can testify that it's a doddle to set up and is very cheap - free if my (sadly non-transferable) one is used.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:10:08 AM by Kickaha Wolfenhaut »

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »
Yes, I've been on a few automated tours and they are very handy when no one is around, or when no one has the time to take you round.

The Lindens have one at their home base (Windermere?), there's a nice one on Svarga and I went on a good one round the Great Exhibition recently.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Becka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:59:25 PM »
I remember doing Elsas "treasure hunt" when I joined a tutorial (well, gatecrashed is a better way of putting it). It  was pretty cool and it did show me parts of the island I probably wouldn't have explored otherwise.

Offline Scathach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
I like the idea of an automated Balloon trip.  I have been on a few and found them very good .  They can give an idea of the layout of a sim, where the various places are in relation to each other, somehting that can be difficult for a novice to figure out.