Author Topic: Proximity hats  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Faji

• Faji Bing
    • View Profile
    • My wiki page
Proximity hats
« on: February 05, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »
Here's an idea that came to me in the last meeting when we were all trying to follow people around.

What if we combined the proximity sensor jobbie with the teleport dohicky in a hat? Then if we were having a tour and the tour guide had a special hat and everyone else a not so special hat which measured distance to the special hat then if it went too far away then it teleported you close to it.

This could also be used as a game, if someone were 'it' they could run away from everyone else, and if they get far enough away then the person that's furthest away will be teleported to a 'loser cage'. I think this would be a good way of learning movement stuff.

NOTE: It must be a hat!
Because I'm worth it.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Proximity hats
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:55:29 AM »
Sounds like a very useful idea.

How long would it take to do?

khairoun

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:55:17 PM »
A lovely idea which I like. Am intrigued by the hat metaphor for it too.

Some silly thoughts on hats - hee!

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841) by Charles Mackay has this to say about hats and personal identification, in the context of a chapter on phrases that go in and out of vogue:

"What a shocking bad hat!" was the phrase that was next in vogue. No sooner had it become universal, than thousands of idle but sharp eyes were on the watch for the passenger whose hat showed any signs, however slight, of ancient service. Immediately the cry arose, and, like the what-whoop of the Indians, was repeated by a hundred discordant throats. He was a wise man who, finding himself under these circumstances “the observed of all observers,” bore his honours meekly. He who showed symptoms of ill-feeling at the imputations cast upon his hat, only brought upon himself redoubled notice. The mob soon perceive whether a man is irritable, and, if of their own class, they love to make sport of him. When such a man, and with such a hat, passed in those days through a crowded neighbourhood, he might think himself fortunate if his annoyances were confined to the shouts and cries of the populace. The obnoxious hat was often snatched from his head, and thrown into the gutter by some practical joker, and then raised, covered with mud, upon the end of a stick, for the admiration of the spectators, who held their sides with laughter, and exclaimed in the pauses of their mirth, “Oh! what a shocking bad hat!” “What a shocking bad hat!” Many a nervous, poor man, whose purse could but ill spare the outlay, doubtless purchased a new hat before the time, in order to avoid exposure in this manner

Apologies to people who dislike extensive quotes, outré historical references etc
I am a bit *into* odd-seeming group behaviour and memes.

Khair
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:07:28 PM by khairoun »

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »
I like the hat idea but, if everyone's snowed under with other projects, we might consider investing in a Pied Piper tour bus
http://www.3pointd.com/20070102/pied-piper-tour-bus-for-second-life/
"the Pied Piper unit lets you create a 1-, 3-, 8- or 14-seat floating platform — which then follows you around as you walk or fly around a sim"
Rebecca
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Faji

• Faji Bing
    • View Profile
    • My wiki page
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:01:36 PM »
i think that this is a relatively easy thing to code, and my cannon is prety much finished, so i think i will give it a whirl. unless anyone wants me to make something else.
Because I'm worth it.