Author Topic: I'm in - finally!  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Enigma SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
I'm in - finally!
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
Hello everyone! :)

I feel like I've arrived at the airport of a foreign land - everything still looks familiar, but I know that as soon as I leave the airport I'll be somewhere I've never been before.

Do I have to learn how to read text messages and type without punctuation?

Well, if I ever find my way back here, I'll check to see if anyone's responded.

So long for now...

Offline Kali Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in - finally!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
Hi :)

Welcome to Schome

What is it that you will be doing in this project?

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
Hello everyone! :)

I feel like I've arrived at the airport of a foreign land - everything still looks familiar, but I know that as soon as I leave the airport I'll be somewhere I've never been before.

Do I have to learn how to read text messages and type without punctuation?

Well, if I ever find my way back here, I'll check to see if anyone's responded.

So long for now...

Welcome to schome
You probally won't face txt speak here, We never have appreciated it I think lol

Look forward to seeing you in world
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
Welcome Enigma!
I'm sure you'll get used to it very quickly..  ;)
Would you like to share your interests in the project or your first impressions of it?

Alice

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
Only thing you will need to get used to is my awful typing/spell/grammar :P

Topper

Offline Enigma SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
I've just been in for the first time, and spent ages deciding what to wear...  I enjoyed flying and falling.

How do you maintain anonymity if you can make your avatar look like you, if you have students/colleagues from the same institution 'in world' and if you tell people about what you do and what you hope to achieve?  As soon as I put in a link to my website, my full name and address (through WHOIS) will be available.

I have no problem not being anonymous, but it seems a major feature of the project.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:51:25 PM by Enigma SParker »

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »
I've just been in for the first time, and spent ages deciding what to wear...  I enjoyed flying and falling.
I'm glad that you enjoyed your first experience!  Did you meet anyone in-world?

As soon as I put in a link to my website, my full name and address (through WHOIS) will be available.
As to anonymity, I wouldn't be in favour of a link to a real life website and a way to your address!! Though, there are people in the project, like PeterT, whose anonymity is impossible to keep :P
I've met most of the staff in real life, but I'm not sure how that works among students within the same institution. I'd imagine they would be kept anonymous, but is there a way to control that even if that's desirable??..

Thank you for opening up the discussion Enigma  :) It will be good to hear other's views about this..
Alice

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:25:56 AM »

How do you maintain anonymity if you can make your avatar look like you, if you have students/colleagues from the same institution 'in world' and if you tell people about what you do and what you hope to achieve?  As soon as I put in a link to my website, my full name and address (through WHOIS) will be available.

I have no problem not being anonymous, but it seems a major feature of the project.

I suppose in terms of avatars, we don't know whether the avatar looks like the owner or not.... most take the opportunity to create an "interesting being" rather than a replica of themselves....[I think i am 6ft 9 in world - i'm no where near 6 ft in RL!]. 

We have a couple of groups all from the same school and haven't had problems with anonymity so far, obviously if the school group are logging in at the same time (e.g. during a lesson together) chances are they will figure out what each others avatar is called.  However as the students all chose their avatars independently, as their teacher, even you do not know what they have chosen! On the wiki user pages we would suggest no personal information for students is uploaded....this includes school, DOB, address and other personal details.  Although many students mention which yr group they are in or they say they are doing ALevels/GCSEs.

With respect to you linking to outside websites, i suppose it is at your discretion as a teacher, your students know you and yout students' parents know you....whereas most of us haven't met in RL.  On the wiki,  Faji Bing (Olly) has linked to our personal website where all our photos, blog and CVs are.  Most people know my RL name as I am Admin (Becca), so sign off emails with my real name as opposed to Gaea! Most people also know where i work - so it isn't difficult to find my work address.  I also know Yankee SParker (Kevin) has linked to his blog and Flikr pics of Schomers in-world and their RL owners doing work etc in his class.  Students should be wary of what they link to....if they link to a blog/website - does it contain personal info and pics of them? if so this wouldn't be appropriate to link to from the Schome wiki.  Some Schomers have "Second Life" blogs, where they log stuff just related to work.... Kathy Schomer's website is a good example of this as it doesn't divulge personal info nor RL pics.  http://katharineberry.co.uk/.  Sorry for the long post  ::)

Offline Yati

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
Welcome to Schome Enigma! Hope to meet  you in in-world.
Yati

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
Hey, welcome to Schome.
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »

Welcome Enigma - I agree that the anonymity thing for adults is a problem - this is one of those areas where we do treat students and staff differently - though actually where students are getting involved in things like the space project (and are thus meeting and publishing things in the 'real world' the whole issue of annonymity becomes a total mess). The key of course is that we all need to be very conscious about what info we make available (in the light of who is going to be able to access it) ...   ::)

PeterT

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
I do love a good name....

Enigma....just rolls off the tounge, dosent it?
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.