Author Topic: Interactive noticeboards  (Read 6271 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Interactive noticeboards
« on: January 26, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
I have pasted in text from an email or two about the development of 'interactive noticeboards':

PeterT said:
maybe that the noticeboard tells you about the event and you can click on it to sign up - which adds your name to a note (but only if there are enough spaces left).  The note cannot be edited other than by clicking on the sign ... Maybe sign needs three buttons:

a.. see note
  b.. add my avatar name to note
  c.. remove my avatar name from note
That sounds like it could work and all be inworld ... though would be even better if the data was also being sent out to an external website so folk could see who was attending which events via the web (but that is an extra at this stage).

MarkG responded:
A display board in world. Currently noticeboards are multiple prim objects with scripts that allow one or more people to add text displayed as graphics via the "chat" functionality. Messages are then displayed on the noticeboard for a set period of time. Peter proposes we extend this functionality to allow other users to interact with the displayed messages. We need to work out how we can best achieve this (maybe this has has already been done?)

Function 1: Allow permitted users to post notices: displayed as text. Messages are posted by talking via chat on a specific channel in the vicinity of the noticeboard.
-       how many characters in the notice?
-       More than one message/
-       Who has the rights to post notices?

Function 2: Allow visitors to respond to notices:
F2.1: see the note
F2.2: add my avatar name to note
F2.3: remove my avatar name from note

Questions:
F2.1: do you mean see the text of the notice inworld, or see an extended text note based on the text displayed?
F2.2: Preferred method: should the avatar name be added so it appears on the screen, or is sent out of world to a remote email address/ database? I think you’re saying that the name is to be sent to the course manager, possibly displayed on an external website.

thoughts?
Currently I am working with some copies of the XYText to try to make this work in world. This will provide a multi-prim noticeboard. Potential problem might be that the longer text versions can use up to 255 prims, I am assuming this might be an issue? (feedback please)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Interactive noticeboards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Hmm - I think you've added a level of complexity that I'd been ignoring in your Function 1.

I was thinking that:

Function 1 - post notice re event/activity
Was assuming that this was something 'one of us' would do - by changing the texture on a notice.
The ability to do it by editing a note inworld would be a big plus - so long as layout etc looked good. In doing this they also set a maximum number of participants.

Function 2 - inworld sign up
Pretty much as you listed it - folk inworld can sign up for the event/activity:
  • See list of participants
  • Add your avatar's name to list of participants (if max number not exceeded)
  • Remove your avatar's name from list of participants

Function 3 - real world sign up/viewing
Folk out of world (via the web) can
  • see what events are taking place
  • see who is attending an event
  • add own avatar name to list of participants (if man number not exceeded)
  • remove own avatar name from list of participants

I suspect that Function 3 is the hard bit - but is the sort of thing that the Schome Log (SLog) might be extended to do.

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
cheers Peter.

Function 1: - currently the way we put up notices is to upload an image into SL at 10 LDollars each time. This is our fallback position I think.

The 'text' noticeboards that I've been looking at allow people inworld to stand near a noticeboard and on an agreed channel type in a notice up to a certain number of characters by typing /1 (representing channel 1) and then their message. The advantage is that this is free.

As an aside it might be a nice toy to have "official noticeboards" where we can type in our messages but then "unofficial ones" where students can post up any messages/graffiti they feel like? (but maybe that's another stage down the line...)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:37:40 PM by mgaved »
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »
Function 1: - currently the way we put up notices is to upload an image into SL at 10 LDollars each time. This is our fallback position I think.

The 'text' noticeboards that I've been looking at allow people inworld to stand near a noticeboard and on an agreed channel type in a notice up to a certain number of characters by typing /1 (representing channel 1) and then there message. The advantage is that this is free.

This sounds great - would it be possible to have a template which provides set 'fields' (each of which I guess would actually be a seperate prim) that you can click on to edit the text.  So might have:
  • Title
  • Date and Time
  • Venue
  • Descriptions
  • Max number of participants

What I'm thinking is that we could then set up a 'pretty' noticeboard into which the specific text were inserted - would give more control over look and feel - whilst still retaining the immediacy of updating and the freeness (no cost).

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »
As an aside it might be a nice toy to have "official noticeboards" where we can type in our messages but then "unofficial ones" where students can post up any messages/graffiti they feel like? (but maybe that's another stage down the line...)

Would definitely be good to have 'the offical event boards' - perhaps one for each of the key strands of activity (ethics/philosophy; physics; archeology; induction; community events; ....) and then some others for anyone to edit (maybe we provide the basic board in the Scho-op and a space on the Plaza where community members can pitch their board - which might get around the issue of (a) different board templates - for kids to organise meetings/events or for more general graffiti/notices (b) folk changing details of an event before it has happened (only owner can change content - so have to get a new board from the Scho-op if you want to post a new event!)))

PeterT
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:38:02 PM by mgaved »

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »
Official events boards, indeed all kinds of signage, are crucial to initial rollout.  From the user experience angle we would be best coming up with agreeing on logo/style/colours/fonts .etc. such that we have a consistency, and of course this can be replicated across the media we are asking visitors to engage with.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »
Also height is an issue. I seem to spend a lot of time spinning my camera controls trying to view boards which are at 'eye' level. If I zoom my camera in without moving it around, I get a huge picture of the back of Fox's head - then I have to spend some time negotiating the camera in front of Fox.
I'd guess an optimum height is just above 'head' height, then your camera can go up and zoom, rather than round and zoom, which is a more complex operation.
Are there any published guidelines for typography in SL? I'm thinking of those ones for the Internet which specify the colours and typefaces which all browsers will read, and which people with visual disabilities will have fewest problems with.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:49:23 PM »
I've not seen any, but in many ways I'd imagine the same kind of usability and accessibility guidelines that apply to the web are relevant here.  However because things like text are (currently) created largely by uploading images, you have to be very careful to ensure the quality is sufficient to hold true on a large size board.  This is an issue I've seen frequently in experiments. (that said the interactive whiteboard could reduce issues here)

Regarding height, I think there's also a balancing issue here, in that creating boards too large and or high, as much as they help usability in the direct sense (.ie. usability of the board), can potentially stifle the user experience in the wider context (.ie. reduce view of the rest of the environment, reduce immersiveness).

Some of this stuff we can take a running start at from a web usability/user experience background, and some bits we'll need to hone as we go along.  I believe it can also be informed from the angle of good game design.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:10:00 PM by Dan »
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan