Author Topic: History Sessions  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
History Sessions
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
OK, Kit and I are going to set up some history sessions. Unsure on times, etc but would anybody be interested at all?
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Kali Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: History Sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »
Sure, i would be interested.

I was also thinking of maybe doing some classics. We could combine some sessions if you want ???

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
i'd be interested in history and classics - did Latin GCSE but wasn't able to do classic civilisation for A Level....as was already doing sciences.

Offline Kali Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »
Really?

I did classics GCSE, and now do it for A level. I also do physics, maths and psychology.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
Is there a relationship between history and archeology - I ask for two reasons:
  • anxious about us spreading ourselves too thinly - a smaller number of strong strands with regular, well prepared and well attended sessions would be better than a large number of strands which are less strong.
  • I wonder whether subject based strands are the way to go - very schoolish - cross curricular projects which bring in a range of subject disciplines might be more attractive to a larger number of people ...  ???

Just a thought - which you are of course welcome to reject/disagree with/ignore (or indeed all three!)  :)

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »
I think to make them more interesting you should re-enact events, however we could alternate/merge archaeology and history - like Peter said :)
-Mars

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »
Well I havent discussed this with Vibia yet, but one of the main things I hope to do was possibly some recreation stuff such as building, recreating famous wars etc (a bit like Peter Snow with his briefcase - I think thats his name) and also tie ins with Archaeology, I shall speak to Mars, and also Ethics and Philosophy, Im sure we can do a subject about ethics and history
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »
I was hoping to be able to merge with Archaeology a bit!  ;) lol

Recreation would be good, I was hoping we could do some stuff like that!  :)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
We could do Troy - and build a wooden horse!

I seem to remember Achilles' body was tied behind horses, dragged round the city and left for dogs to eat. Not sure whether Achilles would be up for that  ::)

Ties in with classics cos we can look at Homer. Ties in with archaeology - cos we can look at how Troy was excavated and at the ethical issues of digging through centuries of context to find evidence of an event in a popular story.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 07:51:25 PM »
In the Iliad Achilles killed Hector, then stuck a spear through his feet, tied it to the back of his chariot and driven around the walls of Troy, in vengeance for the death of Achilles 'friend' (the translation is rather iffy, could mean squire, companion or many other things), Patroclus. Alexander the Great did one better and didn't kill the man first-I can't remember who he killed or where though...
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
I'd like to ask for a part of alpha to do out history 'projects' on. Am I correct in thinking mars has removed the media centre? If so, what about there?

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
In the Iliad Achilles killed Hector, then stuck a spear through his feet, tied it to the back of his chariot and driven around the walls of Troy

Pity, I was rather looking forward to people building dogs scripted to eat Achilles  :P

Now we'll have to create a spear-sticking, chariot-tying animation for him instead.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:34:47 PM by Fox Phlox »
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »
I am going on holiday later today, and will be without computer access. The date is undecided when I shall come back so Im not sure. Vibia if you would like to organise a few sessions, that is fine by me, I am expecting great things from History Strand!