Author Topic: Where can the SParkers build?  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Where can the SParkers build?
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »
(I'm calling our participants SParkers until someone comes up with something better.)

After 30 paid hours in SecondLife I'm beginning to come to grips with it. And, as we prepare to move to the Teen Grid, I'm loaded up with freebie goodies. I've got houses, I've got trees, I've got furniture and fountains and flowers. Now I'm wondering where they can be used.

I don't want to put up a house where it will get in the way, because I agree we want Schomebase to look professional and planned. On the other hand, I don't want to put it in a sandpit where it will get swept away overnight, and I can't see much point in putting it on a development platform high in the air where no one can see it. So, where am I, and the SParkers going to be building? Where are we going to put all the different elements which made life on CETLment both exciting and chaotic - the puzzling houses, the revolving balls, the jumping frogs, the pointless rubber igloos..?

And, on a slightly tangential point, it's still bothering me that only the owner of the land can plant trees. Why is it that I can distribute all sorts of junky freebies and some badly made prims of my own all over the island, but I can't put a few trees in place and stop large chunks of it looking so much like a wasteland? (I did put some willows by the lake just to cheer me up, but I bet they pop up in my Lost and Found folder within a few days.)
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where can the SParkers build?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 03:43:48 PM »
How about a sandbox/free build  area(s). This could be above the  main island. (yes, I'm obsessed with building things at altitude) I could  knock up a space with some prims and arrange a teleporter to get there and back. 
The downside would be that this platform would block out part of the mini-map.
but extra space to build and roam free could be good.

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »
Forgot to say...SParkers! Top name :)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:13:13 PM »
I think part of my reason for wanting SParkers to be able to build on Schome Park is to make it their own. I know the island fulfils other roles, and there will be other residents and other buildings and other projects. On the other hand, we don't want the SParkers to feel they're only temporary, and that they're not important/skilled enough to build on the island.

A flying colony might be fun, though. Or an underwater colony. Or could we put a big raft out in the sea? An ocean platform? A living space which shimmers on the horizon?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
Part of 'the plan' for Schome Park is that folk can 'apply' for a plot on which to create something - that is what the Project Proposals board is intended to be used for.

We certainly want the SParkers to take ownership of Schome Park - but we want to have some control over this cos there is only a limited amount of space - not just me being a control freak (honest).

As I say - the same thing will apply to Schome Base after the migration - actually it has started to happen already - note Eduserve's meeting pod on the archipelago and Andrew's temple for example.

So if you have an idea for something you want to build post a proposal (planning application?!) in the Project Proposals board.

PeterT
PS Re trees - not sure why they are limited to the estate owner - could be my control freakyness coming out again (wanting to keep the prim count down and not have too many complex/moving objects) - or ?????
PPS I did see some trees obstructing the open views across SchomeBase - but I resisted (at least temporarily) the temptation to return them to their owners.   >:D

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »
Just following up a related point from the last Schome@Digilab meeting-
If we build a ceiling/platform does it have to show on thew mini/map. Have popped over
to The International SpaceFlight Museuem. They use platforms to excellent effect.
So, do they show up on the map-yes and no.
They have two island spaces at ground level and the stacked spaces are all on one of these.
The platforms are all  one-way see-through too.
We don't have  the second island to stack above. However,  we could stack around the edge to great effect and not disrupt the map.
P.S Please could someone give Zed Zhao a magic feather. I travelled to the upper levels of the museum using a rocket enabled cow-don't think this did my street cred any good at the museum.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:44:02 PM »
Hey - I'm happy to give Zed a flight feather if he'll give me a rocket-enabled cow. Sounds way more fun!