Author Topic: Building lessons  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Building lessons
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »
I've put in a page of instructions on how to build a simple object.
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Second_Life_building
Could someone who hasn't built anything in SecondLife try them out for me?
On the other hand, if you're good at building things, can you read them through to check that they show good practice?

I'm working on pages about how to copy/edit the object and how to make it talk.

If anyone has instructions for other really simple objects (this one's a one-prim bar stool) could you let me know? Also, if you've got any very short, basic scripts (the one I've got says 'Please sit down' if you touch the bar stool) could you send them to me? Nothing too complex - these are supposed to be basic, confidence-building exercises. Besides which, it takes ages for me to do all the photos if they get too long.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Building lessons
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
You're doing a fantastic job Rebecca - wondering whether the 'bar stool' could also be a 'kitchen stool' or a stool in a cafe?!  ::)

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
Is the Schome Life building page an alternative to Second Life building1?

If you ever create a page that you then don't need then if you let me know I can delete the duff page.

PeterT

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »
Wondering whether the 'bar stool' could also be a 'kitchen stool' or a stool in a cafe?!  ::)
Ah, good point. Café stool it is then.

I do want to keep both the pages mentioned above. I don't want any of the skills pages to look to overloaded. The idea is that you can complete one and then move on to another if you so choose, rather than scrolling down an endless page which might seems overwhelming. Once people have made their café stool they can choose whether to stop there or to move on and edit it, copy it or make it talk.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »
I've finished the (incredibly basic) intro to scripting page.
Once again, if anybody hasn't tried scripting, could you have a go at it and give me some feedback?
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Second_Life_scripting

Likewise, if any experienced scripters can spot flaws, please let me know.

Offline mummypenny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 11:11:27 PM »
This is brilliant, I know someone who will love to have a go at this.   Can you do something with wheels, because once he gets going he will want to build a vehicle - or should I look in the library?

Just got to wait for our defective wireless router to be replaced so that the big pc with SL on can go back online and I'll let you know how a 10yr old gets on with your instructions.