Author Topic: New Who's Who pages  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
New Who's Who pages
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:35:35 PM »
I've started work on a Schome Park section to the wiki. You can link directly to it from the main schome page. I'll be putting a lot of new content into it, as a lot of SecondLife content won't be relevant - all contributions welcome.

I've started with another Who's Who page http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Schome_Park_Who%27s_Who

This page is for people who will be working in Schome Park. I'm not sure which avatars are moving across, so I've made a best guess. Can you check that a correctly named avatar is in place for you on the page?

Can you also slot in a picture of your avatar? If you haven't ever used Camera Controls, this is the time to start, because they let you look your avatar in the face to take a picture. Avatars are curiously unwilling to look straight at a camera - I've found that you can often make them look towards a cursor if you run it past their face. To take a snapshot while your cursor's in use, click SHIFT-CTRL-S or SHIFT-APPLE-S if on a Mac.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Re: New Who's Who pages
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:40:14 PM »
As a follow-up to that last post - I have linked avatar names on the Schome Park who's who page to current user pages.

You may want to start a new user page in the name of your avatar, if you want to protect your privacy to some degree.

Peter, do you have any thoughts on this? Do we want to stay in SL role throughout? Are there any child protection / data protection issues about participants having access to real names and hence, with just a little thought, to our emails, addresses and phone numbers?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Vigo Forager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:11 PM »

Nice new page! Will add add Gus Vidor to the old page as soon as I get some time to find an appearance. No strong opinion about the privacy - we are (or will be at the time) CRB checked and this is not worse than googling the name of your teacher or something like that - so will go with what you decide. However, having concerns about the language to use; shall we say 'kids' (some teenagers will get offended), 'participants', 'nagty residents'?...

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:13:46 AM »
I've been trying out 'Mentors' and 'Visitors'. I still quite like Mentors, but I'm unhappy with Visitors.

How about SParkers?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
Peter, do you have any thoughts on this? Do we want to stay in SL role throughout? Are there any child protection / data protection issues about participants having access to real names and hence, with just a little thought, to our emails, addresses and phone numbers?

Interesting questions - and as always there are not simple answers (well not many) ... So some thoughts:
  • within the schome-NAGTY Teen Second Life Pilot we will be insisting that the students only ever use their avatar names in-world and on the schome community website
  • one could argue that we should model the practices we expect students to adhere to - which would mean that we too should only ever use our avatar names - however,
    • many of us already have established presences with the schome community which it would be pretty difficult to conceal
    • we work across many projects/activities (and I suspect couldn't sustain the number of userpages that it would need for all the different persona we adopt)
    • the only reason for expecting the students to use their avatar names is to do with child protection - and as adults (rightly or wrongly) this is less of an issue

So - for the students on the schome-NAGTY TSL Pilot it is definetly avatar names only - for adults I guess its up to them .... ???? (which kind of feels inequitable .... but I think is unavoidable :-\ )

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I've been trying out 'Mentors' and 'Visitors'. I still quite like Mentors, but I'm unhappy with Visitors.

How about SParkers?

I love SParkers - all the right connotations ....

Aren't the adults SParkers too?
Wanting to avoid 'them and us' - but also wanting to have ways for the teens to recognise 'staff' (meaning people they know they can trust) - maybe the official inworld 'helpers' might all belong to a group (so that they can have a 'helper' label above their heads). Maybe a teen could become a 'helper' in some circumstances?

Not sure what the helpers/mentors should be called - within the Children's Research Centre I believe that the adults who support the children are called 'slaves' (in an attempt to redress the power imbalance between adult researchers and child researchers) ...  ???

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

-Are there situations where we might need to be in contact with the students outside of the TeenSL environment?

If not, I'd say that we just stick to the TeenSL avatar names.
(This, incidently, is why I chose "Mark" as my SL avatar name  - for simplicity's sake)

I assume we're going to ask the students to stick to their avatar names so I think we should play by the same rules, surely?

Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
Wanting to avoid 'them and us' - but also wanting to have ways for the teens to recognise 'staff' (meaning people they know they can trust) - maybe the official inworld 'helpers' might all belong to a group (so that they can have a 'helper' label above their heads). Maybe a teen could become a 'helper' in some circumstances?

We could adopt an official uniform, such as a particular tshirt?

I believe that the adults who support the children are called 'slaves' (in an attempt to redress the power imbalance between adult researchers and child researchers)

No thank you. Too many reasons not to use this name. From the personal dislike to the political/historical.
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »
We could adopt an official uniform, such as a particular tshirt?

Now that turns the tables nicely - staff in uniform and students not ....

We could all wear schome sweatshirts - as per Schomer Simpson's ....
(Not sure how natty that would be - or whether it goes well with floppy ears or a tail ...)   lol

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »
I believe that the adults who support the children are called 'slaves' (in an attempt to redress the power imbalance between adult researchers and child researchers)

No thank you. Too many reasons not to use this name. From the personal dislike to the political/historical.

I agree - wasn't trying to suggest we should adopt it ...