Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Bright Sparker

• SP team
    • View Profile
Hello...
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
Hi Schomers (is that the term?)

My name's <real name> (AKA Rumaki Heron in SL), I'm 31, I've recently been a High School English teacher, and I'm now a PhD student at <real university name>. Real name and real university name removed. Please see AUP/stay anonymous. Alice  :)

I'm really interested in what the Schome community is up to, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get involved and help develop it further as part of my research. In a nutshell, I believe that education should be:
  • democratic, not autocratic
    about following your passions and being inspired
    linked up with the world outside the classroom
    more about developing personal skills than about exams
    more about discussion, and less about silently listening

All easy to say, and hard to do in the current school system. But I think projects like Schome and its Second Life community show a way forward. Or am I being too idealistic... what do you think?

My ideal would be to help set up a group through Schome that would help teenagers to develop their character, beliefs, skills and confidence - using an online environment as a starting point. Because these things don't directly lead to school grades, it may not be possible during school time, but since young people are only at school for 1/6th of the time, that needn't be a problem... right?

The overall aim would be to demonstrate how the mainstream school system does a very patchy job at developing their self-knowledge, and that improving this sets young people up for adult life and work much better than a fistful of 'C' grades.

Right - I'll stop preaching and read some posts.

Rumaki
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:03:25 PM by Alice SParker »
Forget how it is now... how would you like it to be?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Hi Rumaki and welcome to the Schommunity.

Sounds like there is a good overlap between your priorities and those of the community - check out the defining schome page in the wiki for some thoughts about where we think schome should be going and how it differs to other forms of education system.

You might also be interested in the P21 framework which we are using to inform our thinking about knowledge age skills - but which needs a lot of filling in of the detail!

Looking forward to talking with you ...

PeterT

Offline Bright Sparker

• SP team
    • View Profile
P21 framework
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »
Hi PeterT

Thanks for the link to the knowledge age skills page. I think that most of those lists are useful - the main failing, I think, is that many of them, consciously or not, fall into business-like categories that are attempting to define people against their future utility in business contexts. Some element of this is useful - but one of education's real problems from the late 70s onwards has, I think, been an increasing tendency to see education as a market-led enterprise that's about preparing us as workers for competitive industry. This isn't the whole picture.

The framework at the bottom emphasises the 'softer' skills more: self-knowledge, confidence, motivation, empathy - without these, you can't be more than an empty shell, no matter how well-skilled you are.

Rumaki
Forget how it is now... how would you like it to be?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »
Seems to me that we are talking about two qualitatively different kinds of things here though:
  • skills (which as you so rightly say are often 'employment focussed')
  • dispositions (which cut across everything else)

So things like Life and career skills (and all their sub-elements) are qualitatively different to motivation or confidence. I think it is appropriate to pull them apart - which is not to say that one is more important than the other (I am actually with you here I think - in that stuff like confidence and self-awarenesses - and being an effective learner - are more important than the other things).

The P21 Framework kind of tries to address this - by having skills (which actually include things like flexibility, initiative, self-direction) and themes through which those skills should be developed (which include things like civic and health literacy, and global awareness).

Of course what should be included under some of those labels in the P21 Framework is so vague ... which is an opportunity for us to define it as we see fit perhaps?   ::)

Offline Jpskater777 Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:56:36 PM »
hi welcome to schome
-Jpskater777

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »
Hi Schomers (is that the term?)

My name's <real name> (AKA Rumaki Heron in SL), I'm 31, I've recently been a High School English teacher.

Ahh one of the most unforgiving jobs of them all ;)

Well Welcome to schome it might be useful for a english group to be set up around the exam season and the group you prosed to set up looks really good

See you in world

Topper
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:06:31 PM by Alice SParker »

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
Hello, welcome to schome :)
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
Hey, and welcome!  :)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »
My ideal would be to help set up a group through Schome that would help teenagers to develop their character, beliefs, skills and confidence - using an online environment as a starting point.

Hi Rumaki! I think you are at the right place  ;) In my list, I would also add communication and community building skills.. soft skills are definetely necessary..

PS. Not to mention that I worked as an English Language Teacher (though as a foreign language) before I came to the UK for a PhD :P