Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6683 times)

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:56:39 PM »
Hi everyone

I am a new member of staff and I am really pleased to be here! I am not a teacher (or at least do not teach school age people), I suppose I have sort of turned into a social psychologist type of person although I started out as a paediatric nurse. Not your average career path! I am currently a researcher at the OU and am very interested in how young people's experiences of relationships have altered as a result of the huge amounts of digitally mediated communication around.  I do not just mean Computer Mediated Communication but how we all integrate it all over the place, sending texts to mobiles (via another phone or via the PC), games consoles to meet and play with 'virtual' friends and 'real' ones (note the scare quotes indicating that personally I am not sure that virtual friends are not 'real' ones??????). It gets even more complicated; I talk to my eldest son (13) via msn - I use it to tell him to go to bed mainly! I also chat to my other lads when I am in the office and they are at home via msn or email as well as texts. I could go on for ever here but I suspect you are beginning to see why I am so pleased to be here - teenagers' relationships (all of them) are so different now than they were when I was young years and years and years ago.....

I suppose I am here to learn from you really but in order to persuade the 'dictator' to let me stay I will need to find something to do and I reckon doing something is the best way to find out about it anyway! To start with I need to know how to make an avatars as I see there is a staff meeting in world on Wednesday and I assume I will need to go in as something....Incidentally I tried to add my name to the list for this meeting and I could not type it in there, does anyone know if this is a glitch or if I should be doing something that I am not.

I would also like to help out but will need some huge hints from you guys about what you want. I looked through much of the wiki stuff and feel a little lost. I would have no idea about organizing a regatta (in real life let alone in a virtual world), I might be able to hep with the medical type role play thingy - but only if it did not require anything technical! One thing that has occurred to me is, what about music? I imagine we all like to listen to different stuff and am quite surprised that I have not come across anything to do with music so far (except a very scary reference to avatars dancing - how on earth do you do that.....) Over to you I guess. I would really like a buddy (one who is patient would be good!) and some ideas!

Tara  ???
PS Why are some of us called SParker and some Schomer?
PPS These emoticons are excellent the one after my name just sums it up for me!

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
hi welcome to schome

sparker means over 18 yrs of age in rl
schomer is under 18 rl

you'll need peter to create your avatar in world
I'd suggest pming him for when he gets back on
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Jpskater777 Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »
hi and welcome to schome
-Jpskater777

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
Thanks guys!

Tara

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »
Hey, welcome...

I have problems convincing some of my friends who aren't on Schome that I do have friends on here- and that they really do exists and are more than just pixels!  :D
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Yati

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
I imagine we all like to listen to different stuff and am quite surprised that I have not come across anything to do with music so far (except a very scary reference to avatars dancing - how on earth do you do that.....) 

Welcome Tara. Yes in SL people really dance as they do in real life. Don't ask me how though as I don't understand scripts.I have seen 2 avatars performing together following same patterns, 'steps', etc.

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:19:44 PM »
To dance you can use a club dance bracelet which I think we all have. Just ask one of us when we get inworld and I'm sure one of use can give it to you!  :)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
Hey, welcome...

I have problems convincing some of my friends who aren't on Schome that I do have friends on here- and that they really do exists and are more than just pixels!  :D

Me too - to some extent. I have difficulty telling my husband that some of the colleagues I only know online are lovely! It really is all very interesting...and quite odd.

You should have seen my friend's face when I told her about my new job today. She had not heard of second life so it was really difficult to explain how schome works. Mind you I can't really imagine it either!

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:49 PM »
To dance you can use a club dance bracelet which I think we all have. Just ask one of us when we get inworld and I'm sure one of use can give it to you!  :)

Alternatively you can use the pre-active dance moves, activate new ones, or pick up some dance animations from the scho-op ;)

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Hi Tara!
I'd sure want one of those dance bracelts as well  ;)
scho-op? Would you mind if I ask what it is, faz? or is it easier to show in-world?

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 11:21:36 PM »
well i think i could answer that. :P
the scho-op is basically a schome shop.  :P there you will find a bunch of things from vehicles to textures almost anything you may need you could find there. And the BEST part is that everything is free!! lol
or just look at this  :D
scroll to the bottom
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Main_Page

-Jpskater777

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 11:29:12 PM »
Thanks, Jpskater777!
It will be my first place to be.. What could be better than a free shop  lol

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 11:32:32 PM »
lol i dont know what is but another great place to find free things is the famous SPTC centre its the big black castle building once schome park reopens youll be able to sspot it right away. there you can find vehicles and gadgets made by SPTC members or faz who made most of them lol.
-Jpskater777

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
I wouldn't put that as second on my list  ::)

Hiya Tara :)
-Mars

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 07:09:22 AM »
You should have seen my friend's face when I told her about my new job today. She had not heard of second life so it was really difficult to explain how schome works. Mind you I can't really imagine it either!

I think you mean The Schome Park Project or Schome Park rather than schome ...
Check out the schome page in the wiki for info about schome
Check out the Schome and Second Life page to find out why we are using Second Life as part of the Schome Park Project

Peter the pedant   ::)
I spend a lot of time trying to explain to people that Schome won't be a virtual system - it will have physical spaces (complemented by appropriate use of virtual spaces) - we are using second life to try out ideas and expand our thinking about possibilities for what schome could/should be like.