Author Topic: Schome Park and the wiki  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Schome Park and the wiki
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »
On Monday, Peter articulated the physical (?) features of Schome Park that will be in place by the time visitors start to arrive.
Perhaps we need to think in some more detail about the complex inter-relationship between this wiki and Schome Park?

I've just spent the morning reading a fairly dense book on educational theory so my head's buzzing with the importance of affective issues to learning, and the roles of dialogue journals in creating a sense of where everyone is coming from.

This wiki has already been a very effective learning resource - we've shared skills, references, thoughts, information about ourselves, we've talked things through and developed and refined a vision. How are we going to link this resource effectively to Schome Park? There are obviously lots of benefits to our visitors getting involved in the wiki. From a funding and research ppoint of view it gives us data and evidence. More fundamentally, it's part of the process of creating what Schome Park becomes, it's about communication and democracy and community building. It's about us all learning together.

How can we establish firm and positive links between Schome Park and this wiki, while avoiding just sticking up a poster in world saying 'Visit the wiki'?

Can we set up a part of the wiki which people in-world can IM directly? I know I used to be able to IM messages to my blog - so presumably the same is possible for wikis. Can we encourage mentors to talk about the wiki and encourage people to use it? Can we show as Schome Park is developed that posting to the wiki can have a real effect on the island and its community? Could we arrange events / discussions / meetings in-world to discuss what's being said on the wiki?

And, alongside this in-world work, should we be making changes to the wiki? Perhaps we should nest some of our work-in-progress pages inside others or choose to foreground some pages or add new pages. I think perhaps we could do with some sort of front page for those who come to the site from Schome Park. And perhaps we could reorder the Forum, so that the sections most directly relevant to people coming from Schome Park are at the top.

I guess what I'm saying is that we need to reprioritse the entire web site. At first it was focused on schome, recently it's been focused on schome but with a heavy bias towards Second Life. I think perhaps we should change it so that it is focused on Schome park, with schome a prominent feature. Change the front pages, change the breadcrumb trails, change the menus. The project is developing fast, and its important that the website keep pace with that development
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Vigo Forager

• View Profile
Re: Schome Park and the wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »
Hi Rebecca,

many things there but I am particularly interested in and experimenting with the relationship between SL and the external world (only of information right now, the web). Basically with given objects in world which communicate with a web page ready to receive messages in world blogging becomes possible.

For example imagine a virtual... 'ear' on schomebase that sends what you tell it to a website, accompanied with the authors name. The website simply collects the messages, filters them by author, and orders them according to the reception time, you have blogging. I'm doing something similar with the sign post survey and I'll update when there will be results.

Getting information from the wiki in world is also worth a try, but full pages may be a bit boring to read in world and I think it would be better to access bits of information, such as tips related to given locations. For example we could keep a map of schomebase on an external website. In world avatars would be able to leave messages which would be mashed up on the web map. Alternatively messages could be left on the website and appear in world. I am a partisan of trying to make the island lively and therefore would rather use speech than signposts. To populate the island when no one's there we can have small moving creatures, 'messengers', which would talk participants in a given range.

More complex interaction such as modifying a wiki in world should be possible but not trivial and constitute a project in itself.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:19:55 AM »
many things there but I am particularly interested in and experimenting with the relationship between SL and the external world (only of information right now, the web). Basically with given objects in world which communicate with a web page ready to receive messages in world blogging becomes possible.

Have you come across snapzilla (www.slpics.com) - I'm told (by Davee Commerce) that you can set up an account there and that when you take a snapshot if you email it (one of the three options) to pics@slpics.com with some text then it adds the image and the text to your personal snapzilla blogg.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:42:17 AM »
Perhaps we need to think in some more detail about the complex inter-relationship between this wiki and Schome Park?
How can we establish firm and positive links between Schome Park and this wiki, while avoiding just sticking up a poster in world saying 'Visit the wiki'?

I agree with everything Rebecca has said about the need to have strong links between the schome community website (wiki and forum) and Schome Park. The intention is that the young people will be explicitly encouraged to take part in the schome community website. For example:
  • they will be encouraged to bliki their experiences in Schome Park on their own userpage in the wiki - one of the introductory activities involves using the DIY Photobooth to take your avatar's picture and post it to your bliki.
  • we are keen that the young people play a lead role in sorting out the norms - which may well include helping us to decide about how we deal with money in-world and/or issues about ethics and research (eg to what extent should an avatar have the same rights of confidentiality as a real person?). We are already exploring some of these issues in the schome community website and the young people will be encouraged to contribute to those discussions. Again this will be explicitly built into activities that are set up - so going well beyond just saying that the website is available.

I guess what I'm saying is that we need to reprioritse the entire web site. At first it was focused on schome, recently it's been focused on schome but with a heavy bias towards Second Life. I think perhaps we should change it so that it is focused on Schome park, with schome a prominent feature. Change the front pages, change the breadcrumb trails, change the menus. The project is developing fast, and its important that the website keep pace with that development

As Rebecca has noted there is a current focus on Second Life within the schome community website - however, we must not loose sight of the main focus of the schome community website and why we have started to engage with Second Life - we are about developing schome and Second Life (may) offer us ways to reconceptualise education that will help us in that mission.

I agree that there should be a Schome-NAGTY Pilot front end to the wiki - but the approach should be similar to the one adopted on the Aspire Pilot (another project that falls under the schome umbrella), which is to provide a homepage for the project, which then links to a section of the schome community website. So the Aspire Pilot has its own homepage (http://aspire-pilot.open.ac.uk) which then takes you to a section of the schome community wiki. The Aspire Pilot has its own set of breadcrums and its own internal structure, but nested within the wiki as a whole.

I do not think that we should change the overall structure of the schome community website (wiki plus forum) to the extent of foregrounding Second Life (or Schome Park) above the overall focus on schome. Our SL (and Schome Park) activity is a subset of the schome activity. We might however want to think about how we structure the SL sections of the schome community website - and it might well be that we need to highlight the SchomeBase and Schome Park activities (blikis) and reduce the sections that were about preparatory activity(eg setting up the islands). Here too we need to remember that Schome Park is a subset of our SL activity - so yes to raising the profile of Schome Park (and the schome-NAGTY Teen Second Life Pilot) alongside raising the focus on the activities that are happening within SchomeBase - and the blikis (including those belonging to individual members of the schome community) will form a key part of this I suspect.

More discussion about how to move this forward and what the new structure for the Second Life sections of the website should look like would be good ....