Author Topic: Mentoring in Schome Park  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Mentoring in Schome Park
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
I've set up a new page on the wiki http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Second_Life_Mentors where we can put information about what we will be doing there (other than the important ongoing development and maintenance work which is coveed elsewhere).

I thought "staffing Schome Park" sounded a bit too like school, so I've called us mentors. Likewise "students" or "pupils" sounds too like school and "children" or "teenagers" sounds vaguely patronising. I've opted for "visitors", but that sounds too transient. Any other ideas?

Following this afternoon's meeting, I've put in a vague job description, but I think it needs to be fleshed out. For example, it includes "monitoring behaviour". Do we need some definition of what we're looking for? Do we have some scale of sanctions? (I guess sanction no 1 is asking someone to stop what they are doing, and sanction x is getting Peter to ban them from Schome Park for ever, but what is the middle ground?) Do we have some more positive feedback system where people are praised / rewarded / commended for welcoming newcomers or for building something fabulous?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Re: Mentoring in Schome Park
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »
I also have some more practical, contractual queries about working on Schome Park, whether mentoring or building.

We all know it's easy to get sucked into virtual reality worlds and spend far too much time in them (judging by the amount of work he's done, I guess Dan hasn't slept for months). The transferable skills we should be teaching include being able to regulate your time online, and remembering to take screen breaks. I therefore propose that no one should be scheduled to work in SecondLife for more than two consecutive hours, and that it should be accepted practice that we take five minutes off each hour. I know this is difficult, but I think it would be good practice. Let's set up two or three of Vlad's Rest Eggs (see his page for pic) and make it clear that for five minutes each hour, that's where the workers will be!

Do we have contingency plans in place for sickness or for unexpected absence? Do we need to schedule in a back-up in case someone doesn't turn up, or their computer suddenly fails?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Mentoring in Schome Park
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:33:22 PM »
All good questions - though some of them are perhaps verging on areas that it would be better to discuss 'in private' at least for the time being.

There is a Schome-NAGTY Pilot private discussion - to which I have started to add folk.

If you want to be added let me know.

PeterT