Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 09:07:35 AM »
This is very interesting; what about absent presence, you know when you are alone but you know people are there. I think msn can do this by having chat windows open whilst doing something other than chatting. Does schome work like this?

Alternatively what about being present but absent? When people are there but perhaps they are not really listening. Does this happen in schome, I know it deos in real life?

I think both of these have an impact on loneliness and am intrigued about how they pan out in schome.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:15 PM »
Animus-being a newbee, it will take time for me to learn the roles of people involved :) maybe most have different views of them?   ???

Thanks for your comments Yati! I agree, though I think presence does not have to be social, does it? Do you feel immersed in the environment in SL and forget about the real life - to some extent of course, let's say while creating/designing something even when you are alone? Himm, then can we say presence is like a state of not feeling alone & lonely??  ::)

One more question: if it is "the participants' sense of awareness of the presence of 'real' interational partner(s)", can we talk about presence (or perceived presence??) if you are talking to a chat bot?  ;)

Amimus or faz in world :)

Hi and welcome

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:05 AM »
This is very interesting; what about absent presence, you know when you are alone but you know people are there. I think msn can do this by having chat windows open whilst doing something other than chatting. Does schome work like this?

Alternatively what about being present but absent? When people are there but perhaps they are not really listening. Does this happen in schome, I know it deos in real life?

I think both of these have an impact on loneliness and am intrigued about how they pan out in schome.

Point of clarification: schome doesn't yet exist - it will be the education system for the information age - which we are currently working on developing visions for. Schome will definitely need to have physical spaces ... find out more about schome ...

Schome Park is an island in the Teen Grid of Second Life, which we are using within the Schome Park Project. The Schome Park Project has a number of 'official' aims - and indeed, as noted elsewhere, no doubt different members of the community have different aims (reasons for taking part) - official aims include:
  • Expanding our experiences of radically different models of education in order to help enhance our thinking about what schome could be like
  • Collecting evidence about what works and what doesn't work - to inform our thinking about schome and also our understanding of the educational potential of virtual worlds
  • Developing a learning community (whatever that means) - this isn't really an aim so much as a necessary thing to do in order to make the whole thing work - the members of the community need to be having a positive learning experience in order to justify their involvement in the project

Peter (the pedant)

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »
Point taken! What would the the term for the learning community as it is now. I imagine it would encompass both the people and the space?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »
Point taken! What would the the term for the learning community as it is now. I imagine it would encompass both the people and the space?

Hmm - probably more than one community - cos there are folk who have access to the Wiki and Forum (but not Schome Park) and there are those who have access to the wiki, forum and Schome Park.

I tend to think of the former group as the Schommunity and the latter group (which is a subset of the Schommunity) as the Schome Park Community.

We used to refer to the Schome Park Community members as SParkers - before we introduced the second name SParker for adults in Schome Park. All very confusing ...  ::)

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »

We used to refer to the Schome Park Community members as SParkers - before we introduced the second name SParker for adults in Schome Park. All very confusing ...  ::)

Now that explains some of the postings. Slowly it might be making sense....