Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6669 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:24 AM »
Hi Tara and welcome to the schommunity.

I'm just waiting for confirmation of your CRB status to come through - then I'll sort out your avatar ...

The wiki/forum are somewhat confusing (understatement) - we have rationalised the structure of the forum to try to make it easier for folk to find their way around (and keep to topic) - but the wiki needs some serious gardening I fear ... (any suggestions for how to make it all easier to cope with would be very welcome).  :)

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
You should have seen my friend's face when I told her about my new job today. She had not heard of second life so it was really difficult to explain how schome works. Mind you I can't really imagine it either!

I think you mean The Schome Park Project or Schome Park rather than schome ...
Check out the schome page in the wiki for info about schome
Check out the Schome and Second Life page to find out why we are using Second Life as part of the Schome Park Project

Peter the pedant   ::)
I spend a lot of time trying to explain to people that Schome won't be a virtual system - it will have physical spaces (complemented by appropriate use of virtual spaces) - we are using second life to try out ideas and expand our thinking about possibilities for what schome could/should be like.

Arhhhh! The penny is beginning to drop! This makes sense. CRB form should be with OU today so hopefully I will have an avatar in time to enter tonight!

Any offers for a buddy?

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »
I will be your buddy Tara! These seems appropriate seeing as I am organising the Hospital RolePlay and you seem interested!

I am a Hawaiian Shirt trust me - it may not say it under my name on the forum but it does on the wiki honest!

KitKatKid
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
Fab! I seem to have difficulty adding to the wiki, even when signed in. Would you do the honours on the 'buddy' page for me? I am hoping to have an avatar this evening so I imagine I will need help to customize it!

The benign dictator has met me - I wonder what kind of avatar he will give me? Or are they all standard issue to start with?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
Fab! I seem to have difficulty adding to the wiki, even when signed in. Would you do the honours on the 'buddy' page for me? I am hoping to have an avatar this evening so I imagine I will need help to customize it!

The benign dictator has met me - I wonder what kind of avatar he will give me? Or are they all standard issue to start with?

They are all standard issue (either male of female).
I fear your avatar won't be ready tonight - I have to get permission from Linden Lab before I set up each adult avatar and that usually takes about 24 hours.  :(

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »
I am a Hawaiian Shirt trust me - it may not say it under my name on the forum but it does on the wiki honest!

Oops, sorry about that. I've changed your settings.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
Thank you Fox ;)  I could get used to this posting-in-the-daytime lark. Day off school you see :) Rather good as it coincides with SP re opening! If only my avatar was gifted with being able to enter early *cough cough hint hint* :P Only joking!
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
Might be worth PMing PeterT to put you near the top of the list for re-entry.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »
I fear your avatar won't be ready tonight - I have to get permission from Linden Lab before I set up each adult avatar and that usually takes about 24 hours.  :(

Well, I couldn't get my disclosure paper in as well, hopefully this afternoon if I could catch the person! I wanted to be in-world on Wednesday for the staff induction, but then if it is +24 hours, I might not be :(

A question on forum/wiki administration to SParkers: Are there any guidelines other than AUP? For example, how do you go about the use of slang - if not meant to be directed to anyone, but just used as more spoken language?

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »
We encourage people to write postings out in full, because the forum and wiki have a wide audience worldwide, not all of whom find English text speak easy to understand.

We also ask people to bear in mind when making their choice of subject matter and language that some contributors to the community are pre-teen children. In addition, many Sparkers access the wiki and forum at school and we're wary of parental-guidance-type filters picking up on a few odd words and automatically blocking forum access for those at school.

Community moderators are usually quick to pick up on inappropriate postings and, if they act to moderate them, are always supposed to let the original poster (and often the wider community) know why they have been moderated.

Offline Tara SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »

Well, I couldn't get my disclosure paper in as well, hopefully this afternoon if I could catch the person! I wanted to be in-world on Wednesday for the staff induction, but then if it is +24 hours, I might not be :(

Annoying isn't it - I am really keen to get on and get finding out. I suppose it is reassuring though - at least it is clear that the formal requirements for entrance of adults to schomepark (still not sure I am using the right word in the right place!) are non-negotiable. Peter tells me that the Inductions are regular events so we should be able to 'catch' up OK.

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
Thank you, Fox, for the useful information!! (well info is universal or is it  :P )

Tara - that's good news then, an induction will be very helpful, indeed!!.. even the forum/wiki takes time to get used to and the of course there is the terminology ;)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
Thank you, Fox, for the useful information!! (well info is universal or is it  :P )

Tara - that's good news then, an induction will be very helpful, indeed!!.. even the forum/wiki takes time to get used to and the of course there is the terminology ;)

When it comes to terminology the Schome Park Dictionary may come in handy (or perhaps not?!)   :P