Author Topic: Schome Park Highschool Project...  (Read 13127 times)

Offline Zzzzz Schomer

• SParkers
  • All Jazzers bow to the sax diety that is Bird.
    • View Profile
Schome Park Highschool Project...
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
Hi, I'm a student at the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA), and I am here on account of the school. When Schome park opens up on the 15th, I'm going to need a buddy to help me get my bearings in the Schome world.

Thanks in advance,

~Zzzzz Schomer
~Zzzzz Hath Spoken, and He speaks naught but the Truth.

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Re: Schome Park Highschool Project...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
hi, welcome to schome

I think this is in the incorrect board so i'll get a moderator to move (don't worry its a common occurance)
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

It's under introductions, unless it was moved already

Hi, welcome to Schome! You'll hear that phrase a lot. Could you tell us some more of what your project is, are there more people coming from your school, how did you hear about schome?

Offline Zzzzz Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
There are alot more people from my school coming, about 20 more students. The project, as far as I know, is just interacting with others through Schome, and in the process learning to use new technology. We were offered to be apart of this project by some one in Britain, who's name escapes me.

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »
Hey, welcome to Schome! :)
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
Wow-sounds good. I look forward to meeting everyone.  :)
Incidentally, I think this is fine left here, otherwise I'd have moved it already.  ;)

EDIT: I hate typos.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:06:03 PM by Explo Schomer »
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »
There are alot more people from my school coming, about 20 more students. The project, as far as I know, is just interacting with others through Schome, and in the process learning to use new technology. We were offered to be apart of this project by some one in Britain, who's name escapes me.

That'd be Peter Twining :)

Offline Zzzzz Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »
Yep, thats the guy.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

That'd be Peter Twining :)

The begin dictarter round here >:D

*avoids urge to send clone messages to all of these pages*

Hello and welcome to the comunity, If any of the phrases/terminology/anything seems uncomman to you just ask :)

Topper

Offline Zzzzz Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
Class is out...

Thanks for all your help,

Adieu for now...

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »

Those words were 'benign dictator'.

Adieu!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
Hi Z (I'm pretty lazy so counting how many Zs it's meant to be is more than I can handle).    ::)

Great to have you on board.  :)

Your first post raises an interesting dilemma - cos you name your school - which is something that we have discouraged folk from doing within the project (cos it gives away your physical location - and hence raises a risk in terms of 'child protection'). If one of the students in the UK had posted their school name I would have told them they were in breach of the Acceptable Use Policy - but it is the case that there is another school in the US, which is also bringing in a group of children, where the identify of the school is known within the community. So there is a discrepancy there - which I suspect is more linked to the fact that the two US schools are brining in a teacher and a group of students than that they are in the US (though there may also be cultural differences about the level of paranoia about child protection on-line!).

I guess the key message is that folk need to be very careful about the information that they inadvertently reveal about themselves, which might make life easier for someone to locate them in the real world ...  >:D

Faz's use of my real world tag rather than my Schommunity name also makes me uncomfortable - again this is a very fuzzy one (and all the more uncomfortable because it is one of the few areas where the rules for adults are not the same as the rules for students). Students are definitely not allowed to reveal their real world names within the Schommunity. However, it is quite difficult to conceal the real-world identities of some of the adults within the project - myself included - one reason being that when communicating with your parents and schools about consent forms etc we have to use our real names, another being that when we publish journal articles etc about the Schome Park Project we have to use our real names (we did try to submit an article using our avatar names but were told we couldn't do so). So on the one hand anyone who wants to can find out my identity - so silly to pretend that is not the case. On the other hand folk new to the community might assume that it is OK to share personal info (like your real name) if they see us doing it.  :-\ 

PeterT

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:03:36 PM »
You see if I revel that my name is joe bloggs (obviosly not my RL name :P) you gollgle it and you know which school i go to which youthgroup i go to what ear I'm in. I proved to someone today hat if i much as got that persons school name i could find there name and on thier bebo there DOB, e-mail adress, picture of them etc. And I could do all of that in under 5 mins. I wouldent use it obviousl but someone just passing though the town is could quite easily do that. (NB the info about me on the ne is very limited and most of the info you would be lodical to a gnat)

Topper

Offline Yankee SParker

• SP core
    • View Profile
    • http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
Welcome, fellow Americans!

Can't wait to get in-world and say hello. I an my students are await you!

Just so you know, we have found the Schome Parkers to be exceptionally warm and welcoming. You and your classmates will love it here!

Best,

Yankee Sparker

Offline Zzzzz Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
Hey everybody,

PeterT, sorry about giving away info like that. I will be more careful in the future.

So, anyways, when the park opens up on the 22nd, I'm going to need a buddy to help me get my bearings.

I don't see alot of Hawaiian Shirts jumping at every student who needs a buddy, but if someone could get back to me soon, I would appreciate it.

Maybe even soon enough where i can ask them about these questions I have for an assignment.

Class is out again already,

So thanks again in advance...