Author Topic: Should we have money in SchomeBase?  (Read 8270 times)

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
Should we have money in SchomeBase?
« on: December 22, 2006, 12:24:56 PM »
Following on from the shops discussion in this area, I'd like to ask a related question - should we use money within the SchomeBase island?

Peter has asked if we should use money to reward people in SchomeBase, and there is an ongoing discussion about shops (which suggests to me exchange of goods for money).

So should we use money at all? What purpose should money play within our educational space?

I don't like money in SL. I think everything should be given away for free (there you go, that's my bias clearly defined :) ).

In the real world, why is money useful, and what benefits in the real world transfer to SL?

Some of its value in the real world clearly don't transfer, for example, portability - money as being easier to carry around than a herd of cattle, or longevity, useful for a longer period than a harvest of fruit that will rot if not eaten.

Clearly unlike gold in the real world Linden Dollars do not have intrinsic value - they do not have any worth for their own sake (you can't make jewellery or dental fillings out of them...).

Maybe Linden Dollars have value as a medium of exchange which overcomes any coincidence of wants - they can be exchanged for anything. But if we give everything away, then do they become less necessary or valuable in schomebase?

Are there reasons why money is useful in SL? (particularly thinking of our educational focus)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:31:57 PM by mgaved »
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
Re: Should we have money in SchomeBase?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:06:14 PM »
I never did business studies as a subject at school, but I remember those that did engaging in a project along these lines:  create your own business complete with business plan/market research .etc., run it for x weeks, submit final accounts and evaluation.

The same thing seems entirely possible within SL, and would really challenge peoples creative skills.  Where is the market in SL?  How to promote a business?  How much to charge? And so on and so forth.

I believe this works as an interesting project that has 'money' at the core.  I agree with some of your comments on money, but at the same time money is part of life, and if people can work with it/learn through it in SL, they again do so in a 'safe' environment yet have skills that transfer back to RL.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:29:31 PM »
Fair comment Dan - that's good idea: a controlled business venture, students making something then selling it. I guess the added value of doing this in SL as compared to the students running a micro business in real life is that the sums of money are much less and there is possibly more protection in terms of identity for teenagers operating in SL than in real life?
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Vigo Forager

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:15:52 PM »
Not sure if we are interested in doing something like that in schome but wanted to point out that if we decide to use money with young people, nothing (but time and convenience) forces us to use L$. Indeed it is feasible to have ones own simulated economy in SL; it would take a simple web app representing a bank (with login, etc) and some artefacts to communicate the information inside SL (e.g. a 'schome purse' updating itself from the website, or, arrggh, cash machines). It is not about reinventing the wheel but SL's economy has been made for real life purposes (i.e. getting wealthier in RL) which are irrelevant for educational purposes and which can maintain inequalities as Mark pointed out.

The same can be done for the rating system.  Indeed, Linden's one is more an indicator of 'coolness' than anything else. If Schome wants to be a bit better than school maybe a more complex rating system is needed, made of automatic criterions (i.e. rating and/or S(chome)£ gain when going through that particular cave) and interactive ones (given by... us?).

Such a project may fit in nicely if we think we need a portal were students can register to keep track of their progress.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
The same can be done for the rating system.  Indeed, Linden's one is more an indicator of 'coolness' than anything else. If Schome wants to be a bit better than school maybe a more complex rating system is needed, made of automatic criterions (i.e. rating and/or S(chome)£ gain when going through that particular cave) and interactive ones (given by... us?).

This is something I did want to see if we could do - cos as Vlad says the current in-world rating system is not ideal for our purposes.

??? How hard is it to pass info between SL and an external database? (I already use FileMaker Pro to collect data from web-based questionnaires - and was thinking of setting up a rating system outside SL with a web interface - would be much better if the info from SL was passed out to the database and could be displayed in-world too - as well as being accessible via your web browser).

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »
I think we could interface with an external database via functions like llHTTPRequest (http://lslwiki.com/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=llhttprequest) according to the LSL Wiki.  I've not tried it though.

Offline Vigo Forager

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »
Thanks for the function Dan, that seems quite easy to achieve... not sure the time we want to invest in building another database website, especially since we need a strong design for it, which may only be established after the first experiments. For the time being we can try to read from a specially formatted page in the wiki.

Will try to read comments from the wiki for the sign post survey and if it is convenient, this could also be used to ratings or to virtual money.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:02:50 PM »
Infact it may be more pragmatic to see whether we can hook into a Moodle database, using work from the Sloodle project.

Checked again today, and there doesn't appear to be vast progress on Sloodle, but it could be a different way of accessing databases, and of course offer other levels of integration given the OU's VLE choice.  One to watch if nothing else.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »
Happy to be advised by those with a more technical bent than me - I like using FileMaker Pro (v6) cos any idiot (meaning me) can set up a database and link it to a web page .... and we have some pretty cool flash extensions that we can use now too for different types of web questionnaires ...

But agree that something that links in with 'mainstream' OU stuff and/or open source stuff (like Moodle/SLoodle) is ideally what we want - particularly if we can integrate that with the schome community website .... (well if you don't have a vision ....)  ;)

Peter T