Author Topic: hello  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Evelina

• View Profile
hello
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:15:43 AM »
hi there
I'm Evelina a newbie here at Schome. I lecture at a university in many environmental science based topics. I hope I can meet some new and exciting friends here!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:32:21 AM »
Hi Evelina - welcome to the Schommunity - and thanks for posting an intro message.

Other than wanting to meet new and exciting friends what induced you to sign up?
(I ask both cos I'm interested in your interests but also cos so few people do actually sign up I'm intrigued to know what the hooks are ...)

PeterT

Offline Evelina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Hi PeterT,
I am doing a course at the moment in teahcing in higher education and this site was mentioned as an educational resource. I am interested in how the site works and also in picking up some helpful tips and information. I seem to have missed the whole virtual world thing somehow, and feel a bit out of touch with some of my students....so I've decided to try and put that right!!! Who knows I may even sign up for Facebook or go the whole hog and try second life!!!!!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »
We have an island in the Main Grid of Second Life called SchomeBase which is pretty dormant at the moment - you would be welcome to experiment on there if you wanted.

To get into Second Life check out our Second Life help page - what it probably doesn't tell you is that to get a free avatar on the Main Grid you go to the Second Life registration page

Enjoy.

PeterT

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:35:16 PM »
Hello Evelina,

Welcome to Schome. I signed up some months ago initially because I was impressed by the design and feel of SchomeBase and also the very open and communicative nature of the group. It looked as though Schome provided a wonderful exciting environment for young people to experience and explore. (That was as "Shri").

Since then I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about Schome and am now known as "Amba" here.

I've spent quite a bit of time on SchomeBase on main grid in the past. Other useful places to wander around on main grid include the "Education UK" islands.

There is a mailing list which has been set up specifically for UK educators interested in second life: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/secondlife.

All the best
Amba
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:45:17 PM by Amba SParker »