Author Topic: Olly's Observatory  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
Olly's Observatory
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
An idea came to me on the way back from my Saturday morning trip to Sainsbury's.

The observatory has been suggested as being situated on a mountain top on one corner of the island.  That's great, but the options you face with a tall mountain are to create a long, winding (and arguably dull) path up to it, or to create a teleport from mountain base to top (which breaks any sense of immersion or travel to the heights, so you might as well just have built the whole thing at sea level).

Possible solution: how about we create a ski-style cable-car/chair-lift to take you up to the mountain top?  It creates a much better sense of immersion, gives some excitement and adventure to travelling into the clouds, and gives you a great view of the island on the way up.

Adding to that, wouldn't it be great if we timed the journey to take, say, 1 minute, and then made a 'presentation' (eventually maybe several) of some kind that displayed in the cable car or on a screen infront of your chair.  Origins of the universe, Galileo, or whatever, but make the ride have an informative (and obviously subject-relevant) side.

Sounds an interesting way to link things together and make for a more rounded experience.  Comments welcome  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:26:40 AM by Dan »
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Olly's Observatory
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
 >:D Or we could shoot them from the cannon ...

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
Re: Olly's Observatory
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »
Well I've done a simple 'rocket chair' (re-using some of the script from the chairs I built on cetlment) that takes you from the reception area to the lower observatory platform.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan