Author Topic: Migrating from SchomeBase to Schome Park  (Read 7909 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Migrating from SchomeBase to Schome Park
« on: December 15, 2006, 10:43:04 AM »
This topic is for discussion of any issue relating to the process of migrating installations etc from the Main Grid (SchomeBase) to the Teen Grid (Schome Park).

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating from SchomeBase to Schome Park
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:17:17 AM »
In preparation for the migration from SchomeBase to Schome Park there are a number of things we need to do. Including:

• Identifying who is moving to Schome Park and ensuring that:
    • we know the name of the avatar that is being moved (if they want to remain on the Main Grid as well as moving to Schome Park then they will need two avatars)
    • they have a current CRB check - and we have details of it
  • Ensure that all objects on SchomeBase have been given the correct settings/permissions so that we can edit them when they are migrated to Schome Park (even if their owner avatar is not migrated)
  • Ensure that Schomer Pidgeon has been give a copy of all the objects in your inventory for migration to Schome Park and that these have the correct settings/permissions so that Schomer Pidgeon can edit/copy/move/give away

I have attached a word document to this message that explains what the settings/properties need to be for all the objects on SchomeBase and for all the objects in your inventory that are being given to Schomer Pidgeon (we want to migrate to Schome Park).

If you are part of the schome players or a member of the schome-NAGTY TSL Pilot then please read through the attachment and ensure that all the objects that you own/created (and are on SchomeBase and/or should be migrated to Schome Park) have the correct settings and have been give to Schomer Pidgeon (clearly you will retain the originals of objects).

Any questions - then post a reply to this message.

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »
 :o This attachment to this message replaces/superceeds the one on the previous message (dated the 12th January).

:-X So delete the previous attachment if you have downloaded it, it was called
'Preparing for migration to Schome park 07-01-09.doc'

:) Download the new version, which is attached to this message and is called
'Preparing for migration to Schome park 07-01-16.doc'

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:42:53 PM »
I like the idea of schomer pidgeon.
Two points-In my role as 'collector' of  stuff I have well over 10,000 items in my inventory (may are duplicates). To drop each item one at a time into S.Pidgeon would be quite a task. Hopefully the scho-op collections will be okay for the moment to give him. (is he a him?).
Secondly, has anyone found anything unsuitable in the scho-op
collections? I have screened them but we need to do this a couple of times before teh migration. 

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:13:31 PM »
In my role as 'collector' of  stuff I have well over 10,000 items in my inventory (may are duplicates). To drop each item one at a time into S.Pidgeon would be quite a task. Hopefully the scho-op collections will be okay for the moment to give him. (is he a him?).

Yes that should be fine - and I'm assuming that the avatar of yours that is being migrated to Schome Park will have the entire collection anyway?!

PeterT

Offline Faji

• Faji Bing
    • View Profile
    • My wiki page
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
I think I may be a little out of the loop here (that's what happens when you spend all day programming in a dark room:) ), so apologies of I am asking questions answered elsewhere.

Do I need to go to SchomePark? Everything I have done can be copy and pasted from the wiki (eventually).

If I do then do I have still have my avatar in the main grid?

I still haven't heard anything back from the CRB check people, has anyone else?

This is the last week of me being paid to do this so is it worth it?
Because I'm worth it.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:05:37 AM »
I think I may be a little out of the loop here (that's what happens when you spend all day programming in a dark room:) ), so apologies of I am asking questions answered elsewhere.

If you want to carry on then the possibility exists - I am looking to employ folk to provide 'in-world support' as part of the schome-NAGTY Teen SL Pilot. This activity will be taking place in Schome Park - so anyone who is involve in providing in-world support on this Pilot will need an avatar in the Teen Grid.

When an avatar is moved to the teen grid it is no longer in the main grid (and can't get back). What most of us are doing is setting up a second avatar (one off payment of $8.99 - which I will pay for those folk I am employing to work on the schone-NAGTY TSL Pilot) - this is the avatar that is getting moved to Schome Park.

What is essential - whether or not you are carrying on working on this - is that all the items you have created (prims/scripts) are given to Schomer Simpson (but before doing that you must ensure that their properties are set so that the next owner can move/copy/give away). Info on how to do all of this is available here as an attachment.

As for CRB checks - most of the SL players are still waiting for their CRB check to come through.

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Migration to Schome Park - objects that can't be given away
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Someone asked me the following question via email - though it would make more sense to answer it here cos I dare say lots of folk will wonder about this:
A query. I've been collecting objects etc that might be useful in Teen Life, given the fact that we'll be limited to the one island. Some of the item properties do not permit modify or resell/give away, although they all seem to allow me to check the box "share with group".

I've tried giving some of these objects to <name of someone else> without success.

Do you know what will happen to these objects during the transfer?

:( Not good news I fear - if you cannot give an object to someone (ie Schomer Pidgeon) and your avatar is not moving to Schome Park then the object won't go to Schome Park.

Using Groups does NOT work - I am told that groups do NOT travel between the Main and Teen Grids.

You could try taking the object out of your repository and putting it on the ground and seeing if the other avatar can take it. Otherwise I fear there's nothing we can do ... (unless someone else knows different ....)

Offline Euphloozie Phlox

• Euphloozie Phlox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
Thanks Peter,

So, just to clarify, if an item has "no modify" but nothing else, then that can be transferred OK.

If the item says "no transfer" then it cannot be given to someone else and cannot be taken to the teen grid.

I'd better change the clothes my avatar is wearing then!!!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:16:27 PM »
So, just to clarify, if an item has "no modify" but nothing else, then that can be transferred OK.

If the item says "no transfer" then it cannot be given to someone else and cannot be taken to the teen grid.

That sounds right to me.

PeterT

Offline Euphloozie Phlox

• Euphloozie Phlox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »
Maximum items
There appears to be a maximum number of items that you can give to another avatar in a single folder. Not discovered exactly what it is yet, but 80 items is too many.

Migrating avatars
Also, we're still a little confused about the "no transfer" setting.

If the avatar is transferring to teen world, are we correct in assuming that all its inventory items go with it regardless of whether or not they have a "no transfer" setting on them.

Have we got this right?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:35:37 PM by Gill »

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating from SchomeBase to Schome Park - max items in a folder
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:44 PM »
Maximum items
There appears to be a maximum number of items that you can give to another avatar in a single folder. Not discovered exactly what it is yet, but 80 items is too many.

Rebecca emailed me to say that the max limit for the number of items in a folder is 42 if you want to give it to somebody. More than 42 and you cannot give it away!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
Migrating avatars
Also, we're still a little confused about the "no transfer" setting.

If the avatar is transferring to teen world, are we correct in assuming that all its inventory items go with it regardless of whether or not they have a "no transfer" setting on them.

My understanding is that all the items in an avatar's inventory are migrated with it when it is move from the Main to the Teen Grid.

'No transfer' refers to transfer to another owner - as you are not transferring the object to another owner (you are transferring the owner to another grid) - it is not relevant.

But heck - we won't know for sure till we try!

PeterT