Author Topic: What do we need to have on SchomeBase?  (Read 9223 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
What do we need to have on SchomeBase?
« on: December 15, 2006, 10:36:42 AM »
We need to agree the installations that we need on SchomeBase. My starting suggestions would be:

Essential
  • Reception area with noticeboards
  • Meeting place - social, informal
  • Discussion area - more formal, make people sit down!
  • Library (though it might not look like a library as we know it)
  • Sandbox
  • Help 'desk' - might be part of library
  • SL Skills development area - underwater caves
  • Plots that folk can bid to develop
  • ??

Do you agree with my essentials list?
If not what would you change?

Desirable
  • Building platform - so we can prepare instalations without making the place messy
  • Observatory
  • ??

Do you agree with my 'Desirables' list?
If not, what would you change?

Would be nice if ...
  • Water park
  • Sailing area/Marina
  • ??

What else would you add to the 'would be nice ...' list?

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
Re: What do we need to have on SchomeBase?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
I'd add a "feedback box" to the essential list.

I'm pretty sure I can craft a box that people could drop notecards into, that will email the contents back to a (real-world) email account.

This could arguably be used for more than just feedback.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure I can craft a box that people could drop notecards into, that will email the contents back to a (real-world) email account.
Definitely want one of those - and a generic Schome SL Help email address that the messages come to ...

I'll sort the OU email address.
Would be great if you would sort the feedback box.

PeterT

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:01:37 AM »
Agreed!  :)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:08:57 AM »
Other things that have been suggested - I've extracted this from the SchomeBase page in the wiki (which I am converting into a page that documents what has been agreed):

• Group meeting place with breakout areas - overlaps with meeting area and discussion area?
  • Storage place (I agree we need one of these)
  • Map (I agree we need one of these)
  • Retail outlet (?)
  • Place to find out about events - which I think maps onto our noticeboards/reception area
  • Second Life tutorial - which maps onto our SL skills development area
  • Library sub-branches (?)
  • Sponsored features (I like it - could be one or more of the plots that folk can bid for?)
  • Robot area
  • Concert venue
  • Virtual writers' circle (not sure that is a place - more an activity)
  • Virtual dojo

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »
We have already agreed the following projects:

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:33:02 AM »
This is all good stuff and I am delighted by the way and things people are contributing.
Would it be worth having a schome style-perhaps only a badge or colour or font that we use? A subtle thing rather than a big house style.
Not certain about this myself but what thinkst? Having done some tunnelling (and filled it back in) I think the caves could be built at altitude and treleported to. Easier  on space  perhaps.
I love the object map by the way. That is so cool I showed my children (they said 'wicked' and 'bet you didn't do that Dad').   

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:11:45 AM »
lol, I hope you lied and said "Of course I did!"  >:D

'Branding' eh?  Tricky one.  I like the idea myself, certainly gives a greater sense of identity to our area and creations, but I can see how many people would go the other way entirely.

The one thing I'd like to start seriously on for my next project is a formal presentation area.  I think this is essential for in-world events (not just group meetings which can be smaller and less formal and I believe by prior agreement, will be elsewhere anyway).

As usual I'll dart about trying to do all sorts at the same time of course  :)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 01:08:35 PM »
The one thing I'd like to start seriously on for my next project is a formal presentation area.  I think this is essential for in-world events (not just group meetings which can be smaller and less formal and I believe by prior agreement, will be elsewhere anyway).

Interesting question about what 'a formal presentation area' might mean.

Do you mean a lecture theatre? In which case I'd tend to go with 'renting' space from other folk when we need one of these.

My original concpetion of my discussion benches (which are currently on the archpelago?) was to have a circular wall around them which could double up as a presentation surface - in effect being two or three curved screens (each showing the same thing so that wherever you were sat you could see it).

So I was kind of assuming we would have the following types of 'presentation areas':

Reception area with noticeboards
Noticeboards on their own around the place
Displays in the library and by the help desk

Formal discussion area (currently discussion benches on archepelago) with break out facilities (Dan's cloud chairs?)

Meeting place - informal - but none the less with 'display' potential - maybe in the form of 'TV screens' or radio.

How does that sound?
Did you have something different/additional in mind - maybe a big amphitheatre in the sky?

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:32:36 PM »
I'd just thought about building a "lecture-theatre"-esque (and I use the description loosely) space for events/presentations.

I except entirely your point about renting space elsewhere, but I was thinking it helps establish your name/project/in-world presence to be able to host events.

Not a problem however.

Offline Faji

• Faji Bing
    • View Profile
    • My wiki page
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »
I think it would be nice to use some of the resources we already have (in the real world), such as all the recorded lectures from prominent people, which implies we could do with a lecture theatre-esque type thing.

I know places have hosted gigs in RL and SL at the same time, but has anywhere done lectures?
Because I'm worth it.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
Yes I think so.  I'm very keen to do an inworld event for one of my current projects.  Would be nice to test the medium.

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 09:11:32 PM »
I agree, I think testing the medium in as many aspects as possible is a good goal for our short term project in SL.
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:33:09 AM »
yes, I think we should have a space. I see it as having simple interactive displays of schome related research ( we have the whiteboards and projectors to do this...and money to upload images thanks to SchomeLoan-Bank of Schome-I;ve spare ones happy to give.) This would also be a space for lectures or the starting point for tours of other sites. We could rent it out for a confererence or host our own presentations. This would be quite simple. A big screen, some clean seats and teleported to (i.e up in the sky off the island) that would  do the trick.
p.s re skills development area-should we build /are aiming for an area for each skill within the levels framework? (ie. a walking 'test' -I like the wibbley way that currently exists just pat the arrical area on schomebase.)
Should we post the levels framework  and then assign/post the levels to be built to different peeps?

p.p.s. I can now make a pool of water that goes 'splash'. Just had to share that :-)
p.p.p.s- had a boating accident. The boat is under the land somewhere if anyone sees it please delete.   

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
Ok - concensus seems to be that we need a lecture theatre type space - so we should add it to the schomebase page

PeterT
PS I've created a goldfishbowl discussion area in the archepelago alongside the existing talkatorium (or was that imaginarium?)