Rather than individuals working for individual gain we ought to be working as a community for the benefit of everyone in the community...
Rather than replicating real life, with shops, offices, and living spaces that only seek to support themselves, we can build a community which progresses, which ends up doing things, and enjoying doing them.
These builds / areas have been suggested
- Community centre(Hey its mars, once again this will have a freeby shop on the ground floor.)
- Freebie store - Check out more
- Government building
- Flexible area such as an arena
- Places to meet informally eg café, Zen garden, plaza
- Places to meet more formally
- Function room
- Think tank
- Second Steps centre
- AI centre
- Social club
- Sports area
- Main street
- Nature reserve
- Open / green spaces
- Jungle / rainforest
- Forest / mini-island for weapons
- Lesson boards
- Help buttons
Problem with some previous builds
- Difficult to navigate
- Difficult to find exits / entrances
- Too many prims
- Seemed to be owned by individuals, rather than the community
- Duplication of effort
- Hard to find in the sky
- Too many scripts potentially slow things down
- What sort of environment do we want to spend our time in?
- What do we want to achieve? What are we doing here?
- Do we need walls? Why?
- Do we need weapons? Why?
- Do we each need our own territory? Why?
- How can we work together as a community to create what we need>
- How do we balance form and beauty?
- How do we make the island appear as a whole with a coherent design? Do we want to do this?
Web links for ideas
A report on the island of Svarga on the main grid, which is a fantastic place with a fully functioning ecosystem: weather, pollen, insects, creatures... http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2006/05/god_game.html
On a smaller scale, people have produced butterflies http://ebcreations.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/free-butterflies-now-at-ebc/
Thinking along AI lines, they have begun to develop ants: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2007/04/the_second_life.html
Other people have been getting fish to evolve http://secondlife.blogs.com/nwn/2005/06/evolving_nemo.html
== What Do You Think Of This == - Baso
See I think that this is better for the main street:
Community Centre AI Emporium Governing Building
Sandbox Park Forest
(ps. the government are looking into getting a new sandbox, but slightly smaller)
Faz - some good ideas. Remember, we can't just go around building everything huge though, the island may be bigger but not by too much.