User:Trixxiee Schomer/Tutorials/Making a T-Shirt for SL
How to edit a page | How to create a new page | How to Upload an Image | Basic formatting on the wiki | Tips for a good wiki | Basic formatting on the forum | Basic guide to the SL interface | How to make a basic t-shirt in SL | How to use the forum calendar
How to Make A Basic T-shirt for Use in SL
Note: For the purposes of this tutorial, the interface of Paintshop Pro 9 has been used, as that is my graphics program. I do not know how to adapt it for another program, so don't ask. I would suggest that you have a basic understanding of how to use your graphics program before you attempt this, because you need some understanding of layers and how to add text and colour, but you can still have a go!
1. Firstly, you need to visit here and download the upper body template onto your computer. You also need a graphics program, preferably Paintshop Pro or Photoshop. This tutorial will be using Paintshop Pro 9.
2. You then need to unzip the downloaded file, and open it in your graphics program.
3. Make sure you have the 'materials' and 'layers' palettes visible (underlined in red). You can do this by going view > palettes > select the one you want. When you open the file, it will look like the picture below.
4. On the 'layers' palette, delete all the layers apart from the overlay, t-shirt alpha, and the background (you do this by selecting the layer you wish to delete, and clicking the button shown by the arrow).
5. You then need to double click on the 't-shirt alpha' layer. A dialog box will come up. Set the opacity to 100, and make sure the checkbox is selected for making the layer visible (shown by arrows). Then click ok.
6. You then need to decide what colour you want your t-shirt to be. This is done by using the materials palette. If you right-click on the top box (shown by an arrow), a dialog box will appear where you can choose what colour you want. Then hit ok.
7. You then need to choose the fill tool (shown by the arrow) and click on the white part of the t-shirt. This will turn it the colour you selected in part 6.
8. If you wish to add text to your t-shirt, select the text tool (shown by the arrow) and then click anywhere on your image. This will prompt a pop-up where you can type anything. Then select apply. You must make sure that your text fits within the lines near the edge of the t-shirt shape (in the second picture, shown by arrows). Otherwise not all the text will be visible when your avatar wears the t-shirt.
9. You then need to delete the 'overlay' and 'background' layers in the same way as before. You then have to merge the remaining layers by going layers > merge > merge all (flatten) (shown in the second picture). This will make your t-shirt all one image.
10. You then need to save your image as a Truevision Targa (.tga) file. You can name it whatever you like. Congratulations, you have now made a t-shirt. To wear it in SL, you need to upload it, edit your appearance and select is as the fabric in the t-shirt tab.