Date: Saturday 21 April 2007
Time: From 9.30am till 11.30am
Organiser: Fox Phlox
Starting to work with machinima / video.
- A chance to discuss what we already know about machinima, what experience we have of the genre and whether we have already used the video function in SecondLife.
- Discussion of uses we have for machinima on Schome Park.
- An opportunity for brief practice sessions. I'm hoping we can split into pairs for this and maybe video short interviews.
- Once people have had a go, I'll give out copies of the Alt-Zoom machinima tool I picked up on the Main Grid (think it's copiable, must check) which lets you set up cameras and film with them. I've not had a chance to try this out, but the instructions make it seem fairly straightforward.
Disclaimer I'm not an expert (you can see that by my videos). This very much a beginner session where we can try things out together.
Before the session, I recommend::
- You try out the video function in SecondLife. Can your computer handle it without crashing? Can you find the files it is producing? If you're not sure how to make a video in SL try this guide.
- You check that you have some video editing software on your computer. If you can't edit your footage it's almost bound to be boring.
- You watch all or part of the wedding video. To give you some idea of the time involved - the wedding started at 8pm and this video was completed at midnight. It's not a good video. Think about how it could have been improved.
- If you want to use the Alt-Zoom machinima tool you'll need to watch Moo Money's introductory video because it contains all the instructions. I've summarised those here but it's still useful to watch.
- 'Machinima: Bridging Games, Film, and Animation' provides an interesting history on machinima.
- If you already have video footage, please email it to email@example.com for possible inclusion in the Schome Park promotional video.
1 Aston Schomer
2 Mars (Hopefully i'll be able to come, depends.)
3 achilles schomer