NOUbie Welcome Centre
The nOUbie Welcome Centre is located on Schomebase and was created to provide information, help and guidance to Open University Students and the Schome Educators group members in world. Concerns expressed by a member of the Schome core team that the word nOUbie would exclude those not involved with the Open University were discussed and then dismissed. Comments have been moved to the talk pages.
The Inaugural meeting was held on July 10th 2008 and a basic framework was set for the facilities that would be available.
The group tries to meet once every few weeks to discuss progress and future projects. Minutes of the meetings are available here :
August 21st 2008. File:MinutesAug212008.pdf
September 18th 2008. Chatlog : File:Chatlog18thsept.pdf
Next meeting October 4th 2008.
Important notice - By attending this meeting you are giving permission for your contribution to be published in the chatlog. You must voice your desire to be excluded at the meeting if you do not want your name to appear.
You can discuss the various topics raised at the meetings by clicking on the appropriate title in this section.
Buddy Board System
- The “Buddy Board” is now operational at the centre. It has images of volunteer “buddies” and their online/offline status. Clicking on an image will “page” the buddy if they are online who will come to the centre or send you message to say they can't and give you the opportunity to page someone else. If you would like to volunteer, please let Elsa or Becky know.
- The success of the events page on the wiki was discussed and the group settled on using this method. It has advantages over the Google or FirstClass alternatives in that it is available to both Schome and OU participants, there is no need to register just to view it's contents and it can be streamed into the centre. The task was assigned to Kickaha to progress.--Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- Anyone who has an idea for a tutorial, discussion or event and would like to either arrange and/or run it, please chat to Elsa first to make sure it is of an appropriate nature. You are encouraged to come forward with event ideas. --Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- I like the history / tracking facility offered by wikis (for example the ability to see which types of events attracted high levels of interest, which had to be cancelled and so on - very useful for research and data analysis) as well as the fact that this one is internally hosted. Shri 08:21, 17 July 2008 (BST)
SchomeBase events page is now active Elsa 18th July
We will try and get the events calendar displayed live in the centre --Becka 08:42, 22 August 2008 (BST)
- Video Tutorials
- Elsa is arranging some rolling video presentations in the centre for users to watch.--Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- Downloadable, short and concise guides to various essential “skills”. These should be written by group members to make it more relevant to the OU Island. Perhaps included in some sort of “Cybrary” in the nOUbie building.
- A start has been made on this. There are a number of guides that are needed. These need to be short and to the point. We haven't settled on a presentation format for these but will be posting a list of those required shortly. --Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- Some interactive island “Walk through”. The idea would be that one would have a notecard guided tour of the island. It was felt that the idea needed to be developed further before the way this worked would clear.
- New (and old) residents can obtain an inventory of items that will get them started on the island. This can include, but not be limited to Clothes, Furniture and Landmarks of interest. Take the lift to the first floor and you will find them there.
- Which we could let people 'buy' for nothing from the Scho-Op PeterT 11:56, 12 July 2008 (BST)
The Scho-op is being incorporated into the new building so that ir's all in one easy to find place, but it can still be a separate room and called the scho-op :o) Elsa
- A “Suggestion box” where residents can make comments and request new things
- An OU resident has provided with a scripted object to achieve this. However, it asks for your comment on the public channel so it has been requested that the script be ammended to allow you to leave a comment no one around you can hear. --Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- A new system of teleporter in the centre. Possibly based on a 3D map of the island to orientate new residents.
- The main entry to the island will be into the centre. From there, a teleporter will operate in the same way the current system does. --Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- A database of Inworld Skills. These would not only be the usual things such as building and scripting but RL skills that can translate in SL. For example, Planning, team working etc. This may lead to some sort of economy where people earn points/lindens for skills exchanging.
- I will be taking on the task of compiling this shortly. --Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- A regular resident induction event where new residents can just turn up and have a short introduction to the island, its residents and its aims. This could also include some visits and practical demonstrations of how to do things.
- A variety of notice boards where suggested but this seem to come down to an “Events calendar”. Maybe clickable to provide comprehensive notecards about the event and its location.
- Within the Schome Park Programme we used an events page in the wiki - check out Schome Park Events (actually you need to go to the Schome Park Events archive) - we could use a similar approach here ... PeterT 11:59, 12 July 2008 (BST)
- Faculty representation. Science are currently being consulted about other things at the moment so this faculty seemed the obvious starting point.
- A directory of who is studying what. This would enable those studying the same or similar courses to discuss/share experiences. It would allow others wishing to take a particular course to find out firsthand what that course offered and maybe foster an informal “study buddy” or “study group” system.
- Becka will follow this up as part of the "Skills audit", above. --Becka 01:19, 19 July 2008 (BST)
- Wiki/Web space which would be a follow-up/supplement to inworld activity that everyone could contribute something towards.
- I'm very happy for folk to extend their use of this wiki for supporting learning activities (particularly ones which are schomey in nature) on SchomeBase (and Open Life) - and remember that The SchomeBase bliki is a great way to tell people about events that have happened ... - and if you want somewhere to chat with folk about the use of SchomeBase (bearing in mind that some of them my not have access to FirstClass) then feel free to use the forum PeterT 12:01, 12 July 2008 (BST)
- It was agreed that any contribution on a "chat" basis should be done in the Schome Forums (not on the wiki as it gets messy). As pointed out, FirstClass is not available to many Schome participants and using the Schome forums will make sure everyone has the opportunity to comment. A general topic has been created and can be accessed here. The main forum page is at the forum--Becka 01:54, 19 July 2008 (BST)