Making sure you are safe when using the Internet is vitally important - whilst not wanting to over egg the cake, there really are some weird and not very nice people out there and you do need to be careful that they do not take advantage of you (this applies to adults as well as to children, though children are particularly vulnerable).
This is a list of websites that provide guidance on Internet safety:
- Parentscentre http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/usingcomputersandtheinternet/
- Chatdanger http://www.chatdanger.com/
- ThinkUknow http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
- Childnet International http://www.childnet-int.org/safety/parents.aspx
- CEOP http://www.ceop.gov.uk