This page has been replaced by
For info about activities on Schome Park (our island in the Teen Grid of Second Life) see Schome Park events.
Monthly Schome Research Group Meetings, 9.30 to 12.30 on the last working Monday of each month, Stuart Hall Building, Level 2, Room 3, The Open University (contact PeterT (P.Twining@open.ac.uk)
22 Sept 06 The 1st schome home educator's workshop - an event for home educated young people who are interested in exploring creative ways of thinking about visions for schome. To be held at the Open University in the Milton Keynes on the morning of 22nd September 06. The focus will be on using wireless PDAs on a nature trail. The session is open to home educating families - however it is now FULL. If you are interested in subsequent workshops for home educating families then contact PeterT (P.Twining@open.ac.uk).
Mar to Sept 06 Check out the Aspire Pilot project dates page for details of additional schome events.
March 06 to Sept 06 The Aspire Pilot is working with young people to develop 'provocations' to help other people develop creative yet grounded visions of schome.
August 05 to May 06 eSIR (The eStrategy Implemenation Review) is a Becta funded project that analysed the state of play in the school and FE sectors in relation to Priorities 2 and 3 of the DfES eStrategy in order to identify future research and development needs. The final report was submitted to Becta at the end of May 06 and should be available from the Becta website from July 06.
The schome research group is currently working on the following activities:
- a literature search - looking for info about education systems around the world, which will incorporate formal and informal systems/approaches.
- website development - the current focus of attention within WikiWorks is on the schome vision sections of the website - and of course the related Aspire Pilot pages. The education systems pages still have some gaps - which we'd love your help to fill ....
- focus groups - asking folk (young people, parents, teachers, employers, etc) re their views of what our education system should be like - Kieron is presenting a paper based on this at IFIP's 'Imagining the future of ICT and education' conference in Norway in June 06. PeterT and Kieron are running a further focus group at the same conference.
- vision building - we are bidding for further funding for more extensive vision building activities to complement: the focus groups, vision discussions within WikiWorks, and Aspire Pilot.
- assessment and accreditation - we are working on a bid for funding to look at assessment and accreditation of learning in formal and informal contexts utilising ICT.
Other schome related activites include:
- wikied - a really exciting look at ways of enhancing wikis so that they include peer-review tools - driven by a belief that assessment is the key to changing education.
Feel free to add info re schome related conferences etc - in chronolgical order.
30 Aug-2 Sept 06 Democracy and Culture in Early Childhood Education, EECERA, Reykjavik, Iceland. http://www.congress.is/eecera2006 1-2 Nov 06 Spaces, Places and Future Learning, FutureLab - using innovative technology and practice to re-imagine learning spaces, Rich Mix, London. http://www.futurelab.org.uk/events/learning_spaces/intro.htm 13-19 Nov 06 The Future of Schooling? Australian Council for Education & Microsoft, online conference. http://www.cybertext.net.au/acelnov06.htm 8-10 Jan 07 Creativity or Conformity? Building cultures of creativity in Higher Education Cardiff, Wales (UK). http://www.creativityconference.org/