Author Topic: Locking Topics  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
Locking Topics
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
Sorry to undermine you Mars, but I have unlocked this topic. I think it is necessary that anyone can reply to the posts already in existence. Only if the topic has been inactive for a long time would locking be suitable. I apologise again, but I think as moderators we have to under-use our power, if at all possible.

To explain this to those who have not read the Final Scho-Op thread, this is in response to Mars loking that thread and is intended as a discussion of whether threads should be locked. Profuse apologies for the confusion that this is bound to cause.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 05:11:08 PM by Explo Schomer »
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Locking Topics
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
I've locked it again, trying to keep posts about the same thing in one topic. POST IN THE SS TOPIC NOW PLEASE.
-Mars

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
Locking Topics
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 04:53:48 PM »
Mars, just because the main point of the topic is on the SS thread, doesn't mean that we can't have replies here on other points that have been mentioned in this thread. I am sure there are many things that can be put here, and if we decide not to merge SS and the SO we will just have to unlock the thread again. While we are coming to a decision people can post ideas on the Scho-Op here and even if the two merge it would be better to merge topics rather than lock or delete this one. However, I don't want to get into a lock/unlock war, so I'll leave it locked until you reply.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Locking Topics
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 05:00:05 PM »
Okey dokey, we'll leave it locked because you yourself have said you don't like switching between two incredibly similar topics. We'll unlock it if the SS poll falls through.
-Mars

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
Locking Topics
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
Sorry, I just said that I would leave it locked until you presented an argument for it being locked and if it convinces me I would leave it locked after that. However, I would still prefer this thread unlocked and will unlock it unless you can convince me otherwise.

Incidentally, I think we are somewhat smothering this thread so I have taken the liberty of splitting these posts off and moving it to the main governance thread, as a general discussion on locking threads.

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
Re: Locking Topics
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 06:51:41 PM »
Replying to Mars in the fragment shown in '1':

I am afraid that confusion is not a particularly convincing argument as you yourself have said that the SO and SS are different concepts and as such different threads are suitable, especially as no decision has yet been reached on the proposed merger. People can continue to post designs and comments in the relevant thread and if the merger takes place the threads can be merged also to form one design. What is confusing is my pathetic attempts at shifting this thread around.  :(

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
lol, Faz and I have agreed to share a building or complex, not quite sure which. But I think we're keeping the projects separate - not sure yet. :S
-Mars

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »
Well, we'll wait for the result of the vote-you are not the sole arbitrator of the Scho-Op just as Faz is not the sole arbitrator of Second Steps, so any decision between you, while definately a step in the right direction, is but one piece of the picture. This does not, however, answer my query as to why we should lock the Scho-Op thread, and indeed the Café/Pub thread.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
I left the cafe one open
-Mars

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 07:03:44 PM »
Ah, on my screen it's locked. [twlight zone theme] :P

Could you answer my question though. I really am sorry to pester you like this but I do think we need an open and honest debate on it, and that includes everyone, not just the two of us (hint to any readers).

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »
That's fine - no pestering going on lol

I just felt that a mix was what everyone asked for, and I remembered you saying you didn't like changing from thread to thread on similar subjects. We can unlock it now if you wish :P
-Mars

Offline XxDaisyLouxX Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Kerrmiit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 07:08:12 PM »
I hate it when threads are moved forums. It is soooo much more confusing. If it started off as a game can it not be left as a game? At least everyone will know where to find it. Also I am not that bothered that games go into chat, it shows that we all have views. Anyone agree?
Dx
I'm back!

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 07:09:08 PM »
bit confused - can you make it clearer what you mean please?
-Mars

Offline XxDaisyLouxX Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Kerrmiit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 07:11:37 PM »
What I mean is I am not bothered if a game reverts into people just talking. I don't think it has to be moved, it originated as a game. Just my view.
Dx
I'm back!

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 07:13:18 PM »
oh I see. I find it confusing having things in places different to their name ! lol
-Mars