The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
July 04, 2020, 10:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saying Hello  (Read 4658 times)
Eyebeams

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:35:32 AM »

Hi I'm Leon Cych (aka Eyebeams Electricteeth) an indie ICT Education consultant who is heading up a voluntary self-elected group who want to know more about SL for naace. Hi there everyone!
mgaved

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »

Hi Leon/Eyebeams

welcome to Schome. Would you like to tell us a little bit more about your group? What particular aspects of SL are you interested in, how did you find about us? (so many questions, we're a curious lot here!)

regards
Mark Cabaret

Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:14:12 PM »

Hi Leon/Eyebeams - thanks for posting an intro message.

Looking forward to seeing what the NAACE folk make of Second Life - and it will be good to have some more focussed use of SchomeBase taking place ...

PeterT
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »

Hi Leon. I'm glad you're interested in us, perhaps I will be able to help you with some aspects of you're work.  ;)
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »

Hi Leon, Welcome to schome. Fox

Note to anyone who is wondering: 'Naace is the professional association for those concerned with advancing education through the appropriate use of information and communications technology (ICT).'
http://www.naace.org/

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Eyebeams

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 02:46:07 PM »

Hi Leon/Eyebeams

welcome to Schome. Would you like to tell us a little bit more about your group? What particular aspects of SL are you interested in, how did you find about us? (so many questions, we're a curious lot here!)

regards
Mark Cabaret

Ok I'll give everyone some context.

I am heading up the Web 2.0 collaborative learning pullCPD aspect of naace's future learning remit. Phew what a mouthful. Basically I am looking into collaborative opportunities for CPD using distributed, open, configurable, free "stuff" if you want. Obviously the "stuff" is more to do with the collaborative and extensible opportunities for learning than the "actual" resources if get my drift, which knowing Schome, I am sure you do :).

The SL group is my own initiative within that framework - I have realised from previous innovative projects that it is useless trying to explain "stuff" to people who have no conception of what you are on about, so you have to populate and engage and collaborate in an emergent way to get things done and to see some tangible outcomes and partnerships even within organisations who just cannot see the need for this although it may well be mainstream much faster than any of us realise.

In my own life I'm used to rapidly prototyping and steep learning curves - I read about 500 RSS feeds a day and am finding the "nodal" opportunities for cross-fertilisation are jumping more and more into high relief; because of that I can sometimes see connections where others can't - it's the different arenas I operate in and the focus I have being indie. It's a kind of exploded view of dynamic opportunities that gradually coalesce (it's the only way I can explain it!!!) and enables me to drive what I do.

I have had a SL account for well over a year now and a sloodle one from the outset but just didn't have the time or opportunity to investigate. Now with this current role for naace I made that a priority. I knew about Schome from Peter when I interviewed him for the Learn 4 Life podcast onmy site and I filed it away for future reference.

For me the challenge is to take people from one comfort zone to another one and along the way open them up to new possibilities and that's what I'd like to do with the group - but they may have other ideas :) I have started to populate a Ning group with very, very basic resources - as far as I can see only one person in the group has any experience of SL (far better and more informed than me) and she has self-elected to help and it's very welcome - the rest are completely new to it and curious. I have arranged for an 'in Life' meet for everyone at the beginning of July. So far I have concentrated on breaking down how to go about joining SL, getting an Avatar and installing software into very very small units - don't forget although this group has self-elected there may be self-esteem or expertise issues surrrounding  dipping a toe in the water so as well as being extremely attentive to people's needs, keeping the channels of communication going and providing numerous entry points into those threshold skills I am trying to create and showcase numerous web 2.0 apps that are highly collaborative that they may want to engage with whilst learning the basics or they can refer to them again and again. Kind of embedding collaborative opportunities in anything that helps move them on whether it be a simple slideshow resource on slideshare or a tagged video on viddler or, more importantly, a series of interactions. What I don't want to do is swamp people either but just get them to make an av - load the software - get it to work and then get them - in world - and take it from there. The first bit will be by far the biggest hurdle as far as I'm concerned and it worries me already. The more hand-holders and collaborators I can get the better.

The group is only days old - so I am doing digital outreach in the main like this at the moment. Does that clarify the agenda?

Oh and as an afterthought I am personally interested in ways in and out of SL and haptic and mobile interfaces in and out of world.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 02:57:19 PM by Eyebeams » Logged
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »

Wow - I found reading that last post pretty scary!

My interpretation of it is that Eyebeams is trying to help folk who are involved in education learn to use some new/cool tools - SL is one of them - and he is doing this by running a course of some sort (I have inside info on that so cheating a bit here) - but as for haptic and mobile interfaces I am clueless!

If I have got that wrong hopefully someone will correct me!

PeterT
XxDaisyLouxX Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

Kerrmiit :D

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

Hi. We have people in both grids, TSL and SL btw :)
Dazzeh x

I'm back!
Eyebeams

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »

Wow - I found reading that last post pretty scary!

My interpretation of it is that Eyebeams is trying to help folk who are involved in education learn to use some new/cool tools - SL is one of them - and he is doing this by running a course of some sort (I have inside info on that so cheating a bit here) - but as for haptic and mobile interfaces I am clueless!

If I have got that wrong hopefully someone will correct me!

PeterT

Sorry Peter - I get carried aways sometimes. Yes, just at its simplest a course to show people new tools :)

As for mobile and haptic - two concrete things:

1) I'd like to be able to send a twitter from SL to my Twitter network ourside of world and get messages from my friends' mobiles in world.

2) Like to be able to do stuff with a Wii for instance in world to help learning...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 03:55:44 PM by Eyebeams » Logged
mgaved

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »

Hi Eyebeams

thanks for the very informative post!

We've got some help pages that you're more than welcome to use:
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Second_Life_help

As we're exploring Second Life we're trying to document the process on the wiki. You'll find a lot of useful information put up here, not only by the support staff but also the student participants, who are our recognised experts in some aspects. We'd be more than happy for you or any of your group to post questions on the forum or wiki - over the last few months we've all been learning together so we understand how it can all seem daunting to newcomers.

We'd love to link to your guide pages on the wiki - do you have some URLs we could put up?

Regarding ways in and out of SL, we have our own blogging tool made by one of the staff that allows SL participants to send messages from inworld to the web - "SLog".

Schome has an interest in mobile devices such as mobile phones, GPS units, and PDAs, though I'm not sure how much experience we have between us on haptic interfaces (devices communicating through touch rather than sound or visuals).

Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax
Eyebeams

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:43:11 PM »

Hi Eyebeams

thanks for the very informative post!

We've got some help pages that you're more than welcome to use:
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Second_Life_help

As we're exploring Second Life we're trying to document the process on the wiki. You'll find a lot of useful information put up here, not only by the support staff but also the student participants, who are our recognised experts in some aspects. We'd be more than happy for you or any of your group to post questions on the forum or wiki - over the last few months we've all been learning together so we understand how it can all seem daunting to newcomers.

We'd love to link to your guide pages on the wiki - do you have some URLs we could put up?

Regarding ways in and out of SL, we have our own blogging tool made by one of the staff that allows SL participants to send messages from inworld to the web - "SLog".

Schome has an interest in mobile devices such as mobile phones, GPS units, and PDAs, though I'm not sure how much experience we have between us on haptic interfaces (devices communicating through touch rather than sound or visuals).

I definitely will be pointing people to the wiki as soon as I have everyone signed up - the call for participants only went out day before or was it yesterday and I have been messing around with resources on SL ever since- they are very very very basic.

Here's a couple of links - perhaps people might like to tag, comment or add a video response to them. Don't forget I'm trying to work all this out myself - I don't mind constructive criticism and I don't mind failure - all's good and everyone is in this together.

http://www.viddler.com/player/c1a845ee/

Primer on a Prim

Code worries me - there is always so much unexplained even with "Hello World" examples and I think you have to go about it from several angles - here are a couple of unfinished examples I am working up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/learn4life/513348293/

A simple Flikr resource, unfinished, but I am looking at ways of streaming these in via an API Key.

http://www.slideshare.net/naacecpd/coding101-second-life

Slideshare resource - another way of doing it - also unfinished. Sort of look at how you can present something and allow people to tag it - do it in several ways so that one way sticks or gels with another person through collaboration but of course they have to be easily disaggregated for reuse so maybe not the ideal. That's why I love the Web 2.0 stuff. I will look at audio too and I have a brief background as a flash developer - and of course I'll be looking at objects in world too :)

I was a primary ICT teacher for a long time and over 10 years ago I was getting students to work collaboratively to make flash movies of games for younger children. They worked modularly so if they needed a timer they could drop it into a game for instance. I'd like to see some of that going on in SL. For example at the conference yesterday - it would have been great if someone had given me a watch - one that talked to me and told me the in world time, the conversion from my time to EST and who was speaking where at that particular synchronous moment - and even better it is dynamic so that you can take it with you from conference to conference and it resets itself for that particular context - oh and of course - it teleports you there as well and it says things like that in a variety of voices a bit like this:http://www.voco.uk.com/ or other types of personality. Little things like that to make your life easier ;) Oh and it calls you on your mobile in RL when it's 10 mins or whatever before it's time to attend

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:56:51 PM by Eyebeams » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: