Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1902 times)

Offline JaneMagill

• View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:33:57 PM »
Thanks for the invitation to join this group.

I'm at Glasgow University where I work with trainee teachers of technology. I studied chemistry at University but like many have followed a windy path through research, industry and now academia to get to the place where I am now.

I'm very interested in creative and (especially) multidiscipliary education. I wonder whether the subject "boxes" allow our "formal" education to hide from the real world.

Looking forward to some good conversations - there are lots here already!

Jane

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:50:01 AM »
Welcome Jane, good to have you join us.

Thinking out of the box is one of the key themes within the Aspire Pilot - we talk about grounded creativity - which in the context of visions for schome means thinking out of the box (creatively) about what schome could be like whilst keeping in mind what we want from our education system and 'reality'. So 'school on the moon' doesn't fit cos it would be impractical (most folk couldn't get there!).

Looking forward to talking with you further.

Peter T

Offline Kerry

• View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »

I'm very interested in creative and (especially) multidiscipliary education. I wonder whether the subject "boxes" allow our "formal" education to hide from the real world.

Hi Jane - really good to see you here.  Referring to multidisciplinary education, and the obvious connection to the Performing Arts Labs - I do keep mulling on what a flexible model this approach to learning/teaching/learning is and how it might be applied more widely.  For those of you reading this who aren't aware of what PAL does see - http://www.pallabs.org/

They run multidisciplinary 'labs of learning'. in the past using them as a tool for, amongst other things, CPD for science teachers.  PAL are currently looking at ways of 'spreading' their way of working which could be applied as a way of learning in the classroom, for teacher training etc etc.  It basically breaks down the lines between disciplines and between traditional notions of 'teacher' and 'learner' and puts creative enquiry at the heart of the activity.  Worth considering as a potential 'schome' I think?

Kerry
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 11:15:31 AM by PeterT »