Author Topic: I'm new here  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Bridget

• View Profile
I'm new here
« on: November 03, 2006, 12:37:00 AM »
Hello, I'm Bridget a 40-something home educating mother of 2 boys aged 7 and 10.  We have always home educated. We have a very good relationship with our LEA.  The way we HE has changed and grown with our boys.  We have tended not to follow a curriculum but to do our own thing usually unit study style. First I started off loosly following a system called 5-in-a- row and also Charlotte Mason type approach. I see you have quite a bit about Charlotte M on your site  :) % in a row is simply taking a living book like The Hungry Caterpillar and reading it every day for 5 days and then doing a different topic each day from it- unit study style -ie monday the days of the week, tuesday, counting, Wednesday - collage, Thursday- heathy eating and Friday the lifecycle of the butterfly. I wrote a bit a few years back for the HEAS magazine about the 5 in a row concept.  Now we use KUMON for our basic maths and English and are lead largely by the boys interests. The eldest loves Electronics and has enjoyed kidstuff.co.uk The Electronic wizard's apprentice.  We seem to have a lot in common with Michael's blog he posted in our style of doing things. Until last year we had limited contact with other HEdders but now are part of a HE group and a number of HE internet groups.  What struck me the other day was that I had 3 close friends in High school (2 of whom I remained close to at University, even though we studied different degrees.) well, all 3 of us now HE our kids. While we were growing up we didn't know that HE was an option and never talked about it but we grew up in a town where nothing much happened and we used to have discussion groups for fun, talking about all sorts of things. We all got married and each moved to a different continent. Now we all HE each in our own different way. Funny that. Some seeds about education and options in learning must have been planted way back then for us all to independantly embark on a similar path to education.
Anyway it is late and I am rambling.
Suffice to say that in this household we are all getting an education even if it is sometimes in the ebb and flow of just living.
Bridget

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 07:08:21 AM »
 :) Hi Bridget - and thank you for telling us so much about yourself/family/home ed experiences.

??? I've left a message on your User talk page in WikiWorks - I'm guessing that 'the load you had written' refers to your intro message here?

Looking forward to discussing schomey stuff with you (and any other members of your family who want to play) ...

Peter T