Author Topic: The EMERGENCY HELP button - and getting help generally  (Read 10653 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
The EMERGENCY HELP button - and getting help generally
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:51:08 AM »
There has been quite a lot of discussion (some of it in private discussion boards and emails) about the use of the help button - and I wanted to bring this out into the open so that we could sort it out together.

'The problem'
There are one or two people who are using the Emergency Help button in Schome Park (the flashing thingy in the middle of the ground floor of the Scho-Op) when they want something even if it is not an emergency. Often one or more members of staff receive the emergency help email that is sent out when the button is pushed and they stop doing whatever work they were doing and rush in-world to find that the problem has been solved or it is just someone wanting some L$ or advice on how to script something.  :(

We need to move to a situation in which the Emergency Help button is ONLY pushed if there is a genuine emergency (eg something serious that threatens an individual or the community - such as a major griefing problem that folk who are inworld cannot already solve).

??? The question is - how do we ensure that the Emergency Help button is only used in a genuine emergency?

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The EMERGENCY HELP button - and getting help generally
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
If it is not an emergency, there is always the option to IM staff who are offline, because it emails them with your message, if you were asking for money, for example, which we cannot sort out ourselves.

Other than money problems, it's probably better to ask people who are in-world through something like the SParkers1 IM, which everyone gets (hopefully), or a specific person if they're around and you think they could help you. If no-one's around there's always the forum here which has a help section for queries.

I guess the real problem is what people's perceptions of an 'emergency' is, and whether the problem can be solved any other way. Some people would see one thing to be a major issue, when someone else could sort it out easily...

Maybe the best thing to do, apart from in extreme circumstances like a griefer attack, would be to first IM anyone online and see if they can help, and then if not judge carefully whether it's an 'emergency' as such, or just needs an IM to a staff member asking them to sort it next time they come on...???

Trix
Who accidentally pressed the help button the first time she went in-world without meaning to, not being aware of 'touch' scripts...
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:37:34 PM »
Well sir and ma'am, with the new feature im making (one of many) we will have leveled emercency indicators, hopefully with buttons saying;
Level 1 - I would Like Some Money

Level 2 - I've got a question or need help with something (I want to do it now - but it could wait if it has to)
Level 3 - There is a problem that really does need to be sorted now (its causing problems on the island for folk)
Level 4 - There is a serious urgent problem that we cannot sort without staff input

Level 5 - Breach Of AUP And Is Causing Extreme Problems (like offending people and greifing)

Level One - Email Sent To Staff/ Link to emailing Peter t on forums or such.

Level Two - Linked to SParkers1 Chat Line / SkyBase Chat Line So Education Department can sort it.

Level Three - Link To Help Thread On Forums

Level 4 - Email Sent To Staff

Level 5 - Email Sent To Staff, Message Sent To Safety Group, Possible Suspencion
!!Baso!!

Offline Rowan

• SP core
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:54:04 PM »
Baso's ideas sound brilliant to me.  :)
though easy for me to say as I have little idea how they could be implemented. But they sound well organised and feasible.
Rowan SParker

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
Well sir and ma'am, with the new feature im making (one of many) we will have leveled emercency indicators, ...

Great - we should get a set of these put in the Scho-Op - to replace our existing board - and then we should get Woop to re-label the dalek help button so that it is clear that this is for dire emergencies that require staff input NOW! (and that inappropriate use of this might even constitute breach of AUP?!)

PeterT

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
A reminder about the emergency button
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:48:08 PM »
Just a reminder folks, the emergency button in SPii is for emergencies only.

Not because you're bored and want a chat, or want to get staff member's attention.

We accept that new folk might still be learning how everything works in SPii and accidently press the button, or be curious to know what it does. That's ok, it's a learning environment, and people are learning  :)

Just to be clear, pressing the emergency button sends an urgent email to all staff members. You are asking all staff members to drop whatever they are doing and make sure one of them goes inworld to check we don't have a Second Life or even a real life emergency on our hands (e.g. medical problem).

Only use the emergency button for emergencies.

We get really unhappy when experienced SPii people press it just because of something that could be sorted out via the forum, wiki, or a PM.

>:(

regards
Mark
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Katharine Berry

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:07:21 PM »
Here's an idea - how about not having it be a literal big red button in the middle of a large platform?
That's just begging to be pressed, as are all large red buttons. The "Touch for help" part doesn't help either.

How about making it smaller, and demand an explanation as to why you pressed it that gets included in the email? Then you can ignore unwanted emails, and have some idea of what's going on before you get in-world otherwise. The thing should cancel if it doesn't get an explanation within half a minute, or you press a cancel button of some sort.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:10:57 PM »
Here's an idea - how about not having it be a literal big red button in the middle of a large platform?
That's just begging to be pressed, as are all large red buttons. The "Touch for help" part doesn't help either.

How about making it smaller, and demand an explanation as to why you pressed it that gets included in the email? Then you can ignore unwanted emails, and have some idea of what's going on before you get in-world otherwise. The thing should cancel if it doesn't get an explanation within half a minute, or you press a cancel button of some sort.

Good plan - just needs someone to code it ...

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »
Good plan - just needs someone to code it ...
**Volunteers** :P

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
I've written the versions of the help script to date and will upgrade it again so a mesage from the pressee (is that a word?) can be included. 

The notion of a help button remains a valuable one, along as we all understand that it is for when staff absolutely must be alerted of something.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »
I've written the versions of the help script to date and will upgrade it again so a mesage from the pressee (is that a word?) can be included. 
I've written a basic email script, but it doesn't have stuff like IMing online staff first, which I think the help button is supposed to do. And it lets you pick a subject, when I suppose it'd be fixed at something like 'Emergency!' for the help button :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:04:06 PM by Decimus Schomer »

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
The existing one checks who of the staff are inworld and will IM any that are.  If no staff are inworld it will instead email them with the name of who pressed the button.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
The existing one checks who of the staff are inworld and will IM any that are.  If no staff are inworld it will instead email them with the name of who pressed the button.
I thought as much.
But, yes, if anyone wants a generic email script, it's on the wiki :P

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »
Is this topic still required or shoud it be archived??

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
I think that anything that hasn't been posted in for a couple of months should be archived.