The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
November 19, 2019, 03:50:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Information: Nominations  (Read 9991 times)
Trixxiee Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »

Finally, we are getting somewhere with organising our government, hopefully in time for the new people coming in. This post is mainly going to be information, though comments/questions/feedback/anything else is welcome.

The way that people will be elected onto the government is thus: you will choose one department you would like to be a part of (though obviously if you don't want to be on the government, you don't have to choose one ;)), and when the topic for that particular department goes up in this forum (planning will be going up first, since that is the most important), you will say that you would like to be on that department. Whoever started the topic (probably me) will edit the first post with a list of the people who wish to be in that department. If there are more than four people (the number decided for a department), a poll will be created, where the four people with the highest number of votes after about a week will be in the department. (You cannot vote for yourself - in fact, it might be best that if you are in a particular poll, you don't vote at all)

Departments:
  • Building/Planning Permission
  • Events/Event Co-ordination
  • Education
  • Scripting
  • Safety (this can include rule-keeping etc)
  • General Affairs
  • Government Co-ordination
What the departments involve (very generally):
Building: Making sure unnecessary prims are deleted by their owners, co-ordinating buildings, making sure there are enough prims for the new people to build with, deciding which major builds can be built, etc.
Events: Making sure that events, as in the events page, do not clash, organising group events, e.g. games or projects, possibly coming up with ways to make events run smoothly, etc.
Education: Aiding with the strand sessions already running by creating new ones (e.g. languages), taking over E&P where Jen left off, projects, etc.
Scripting: Hand-in-hand with the building, helping people who are not so good at scripting, providing resources if possible on the wiki, trying to make us famous with new scripts :P, etc.
Safety: Making sure people are following the AUP, possibly coming up with a designated weapons area, generally keeping people 'safe' in Schome Park
General Affairs: The day-to-day running of Schome Park, anything that arises that need attention, etc.
Co-ordination Group: Making sure everyone is doing their job properly, organising 'Open Parliaments' for everyone to attend, and generally making sure everything is working, etc.

However, they are just a few ideas, and it will be up to the department itself to decide what they want to do, how they are going to organise themselves (is there going to be a leader or is it going to be run with everyone being the same?) and making sure everything gets done.

And remember, even if you don't get nominated into the government, you can still do a lot to help us in Schome Park and you are by no means worth anything less. 'Open Parliaments' will be held for everyone to contribute their views, so we need everyone's co-operation.

I hope that all made sense to everyone, and if anyone has any questions, fire away ;).

Trix

On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:49:34 AM »

So do we put our naME DOWN NOW FOR building? sorry for caps

-Mars
Trixxiee Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »

I will be creating a topic either today or tomorrow (I'd like people to read this first), called something like "Building Department Nominations", then you can put your name down in that topic, yep. ;)

Trix

Baso Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »

Events/Event Co-ordination
Education
Scripting
Safety (this can include rule-keeping etc)
General Affairs
Government Co-ordination

Rather A Lot Dont You Think?

!!Baso!!
Trixxiee Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:05:10 PM »

You missed out building :P.

Yes, it is a lot of departments, but it is what was decided at the first meeting we had, and no-one made any comments on how to reduce the number when they were posted again in the follow-up topic. If you have any suggestions on ones that we don't need, please say ;).

Trix

Kali Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »

No, it isn't too many departments. It gives everyone the chance to have join them. Besides, they are for different things.
Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »

Departments:
  • Building/Planning Permission
  • Events/Event Co-ordination
  • Education
  • Scripting
  • Safety (this can include rule-keeping etc)
  • General Affairs
  • Government Co-ordination
Do we need actual departments for stuff like Scripting? I'd prefer it if you just had everyone who could script and wanted to help was able to, rather than having a group (as it might lead to some kind of view of not being in the Script department means you're rubbish at it, even if it's unintentional)
I'd far prefer it if the ones for helping with stuff (ie, Building/Scripting (though planning would still be useful as a department)) were done purely by peeps who volunteered to help rather than being elected. Plus, we could have meetings if we really wanted to get everyone who scripted together...

The main thing here is that I don't really like the idea of having a government for it - why not just have meetings of everyone who wants to do/help with a certain thing, which you could decide the policies at there? Because you can have two or more peeps who are equally good at something, but having departments could select one who would be percieved as better than the others, even if the others are just as good or better.
Marko Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »

The main thing here is that I don't really like the idea of having a government for it - why not just have meetings of everyone who wants to do/help with a certain thing, which you could decide the policies at there? Because you can have two or more peeps who are equally good at something, but having departments could select one who would be percieved as better than the others, even if the others are just as good or better.

The advantage of having a government is that it's a single body which is recognised, and can enforce policy (even if it doesn't have powers of punishment, it can still help simply by being recognised) Anarchy is attractive, and if there were no limits it might be feasible, but the fact that we need to ensure that the number of prims is kept down, and we need to make sure that people aren't annoying others with pop guns for instance - to take the examples I see as most important - means that we need to have some sort of body which can make effective decisions. So far people have tried to organise their own things (especially as regards to the different organisations going up), and this has meant that there is unnecessary replication of effort and a lack of cohesion. To reduce the number of prims, we need to ensure that a universally recognised body suggests which buildings are constructed, taken down, or expanded. To stop annoyance, we need a body that people will recognise which can inform them that the use of pop guns often isn't appreciated. To allow events, we need to make sure they happen at suitable times (the current system is too anarchic, and has already led to an important building meeting being postponed multiple times)

In reference to ability, the idea is I think that the leaders are not necessarily the best at a particular task. They just need to be able to coordinate effort and have the casting vote. Ability doesn't matter as much as impartiality. Of course, this may be hard to understand if you fail to get enough votes in a poll, but I hope that people will accept the democratic decisions and recognise the government. Otherwise we'll be faced with the same problems we have now.

On the point about there being a structure that won't work as effectively as it could, I am inclined to agree. However, I think that delaying the formation of a government until we all agree is going to stop anything happening. We need to get the government running, and then consider merging departments or for that matter separating them. For this reason, I'm not going to say my own preferences about government structure. I'll wait until the government works, and then we can have a debate about it. Delaying will just mean that we have more problems with prim usage, annoyance, and all the other things the government is designed to deal with.
Baso Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 06:09:11 PM »

im With Sir Decimus On This....Hes Makes A Very Clear And Very Useful Point...ie...im an all rounder at all of those...so what would i be classed in..scripting cos i use very advanced scripts in my building and pass them on to pl..or building cos im a very good builder, education cos i was the original founder for that subject ie SkyBase.?????
Id much rather have a meeting for each of those instead of differenciating plp with other ppl.....aknowledgement of differenciation causes predjudicism...as a wise man would say....

!!Baso!!
Trixxiee Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 06:15:37 PM »

I'd have to agree with Marko. A government is something that is recognised, it gives us the power to seem in power, and decide things easily. One comment I had suggested that everyone who volunteered for a department could be in it, eradicating the need for voting and possibly favouritism, comments?

As far as Baso goes, being good at everything is great, so you could possibly go for something like the co-ordination group as some kind of advisor, unless you wanted specifically to do one thing? However, just because you are in the planning department, for example, it doesn't mean you can't help out with scripting and carry on doing the good job you are doing already.

Trix

Kali Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »

Yes Baso. I'm with Trix on this one.
You dont even have to be in the government to carry on scripting. The scripting department is there to help people who arent so good ate it.
Anarchy is all well and good, but i think it is time to show that we can govern ourselves with little to no outside help (no offense to staff-you know we all love you really  ;) )
You can still run your projects without interferance from the government.
Trixxiee Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »

Yes, a government, of sorts, will also give us a structure for when the new people come in, so that we don't seem to be disorganised and mad (well, we are mad, but anyway...), and having some sort of recognised body of people will help the newbies more, I think, than just random people. Anarchy is nice, but I don't think it is right for what we want in Schome Park.

But what do people think about allowing everyone who volunteers to be in the department (apart from if there are, like, 50...)?

Trix

Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »

I'd have to agree with Marko. A government is something that is recognised, it gives us the power to seem in power, and decide things easily.
True, and I do think it could help with some things, but the main point was that some of the departments may be better off not being in the government (eg, building, scripting and similar things which would just be helping wouldn't have it, but planning and other actual decision-making could have it, as these are the ones that do need proper enforcement)
Kali Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »

I thinking the building, scripting etc departments should stay. Not everyone is fab at building stuff etc and the department will be there to help them.
Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:35 PM »

I thinking the building, scripting etc departments should stay. Not everyone is fab at building stuff etc and the department will be there to help them.
My point wasn't to destroy them - it was that they don't need to be departments, as they could just have meetings to discuss it, without needing the governmental system of leaders and the like.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: