Author Topic: G'day from Down under  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Westley

• View Profile
    • iThought
G'day from Down under
« on: April 27, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »
Officially I am the Director of Online Learning and Manager of IT at MLC School in Sydney. This school has a tremendous vision for transforming learning. Currently it is recognised as a world leader in blended learning. Those who visit are amazed at how at home both the teachers and students are with the integration of technology into how they do things.

I love to travel the world to find out new great things about this web 2 world we live in.  I usually stop at the odd conference, link up with friends and present ideas on topics like Making 1 to 1 work, Heuristics of implementing elearning, Educational Technology, Connecting Students in a Web 2.0 world and Leading in a Flat World (exciting hey!).  When I don't do that I paddle alot, ride my bike bosysurf and run.

Picked up some awards like a Churchill Fellowship, Computerworld Honours (Smithsonian), Apple Distunguished Educator, Macromedia Ed Leader and Adobe Ed Leader for his work with schools and communities.  This usually helps to open some doors and build up the cred.  I reality it is the people I work with (mostly students) who they should give the awards to - I just talk about what they did.

It has been such an opportunity to work the school I am in - MLC Sydney. An incredible Principal (Barbara Stone) with a brilliant vision for ed. There is an excitment in the air that is not so evident in all schools. The challenge for me? How to bring everyone along. When you work with 20 teachers in a day the other 160 haven't seen you. Everyone is at a different level and everyone has a view point. All in all I think that the staff are brilliant, supportive and willing to have a go - the real winners are the ones who dare to be more.
Have a great day

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: G'day from Down under
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:34:24 AM »
Hi Westley and welcome to the schome community - it's great to have you on board.   :)

Sounds like we are going to learn a lot from you - very much looking forward to talking with you about education and how it should develop.

PeterT