Author Topic: New topics for Physics SL: Radiation and Quantum  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Troubleat Mills

• View Profile
New topics for Physics SL: Radiation and Quantum
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:23 AM »
I've updated the wiki discussion with some ideas about studying the properties of fission, radioactive half lives and thermonuclear reactors.

Some simple demos could be set up, similar to Davee Commerce's SIMS, but if there is anything specific you'd like to see, then we will do our best to try and create it.

Similarly, quantum physics is another area that I know a lot of people have a fascination with. SL already lets us teleport, but I will have to draw the line at anyone requesting to visit the 11th dimension or wanting to adopt a quantum superposition ;)

Finally, here's a quick question for you all. Teleportation appears in a lot of space sci-fi, and Star Trek have always had their famous Transporter. So here's the question, what would be the difference between a teleporter and transporter??
Teen Second Life: Troubleat Mills   /  Second Life: (two lives, two names and two different egos!!) Callisto Carter and Maisy Mayo

Offline Rowan

• SP core
    • View Profile
Re: New topics for Physics SL: Radiation and Quantum
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:12:10 AM »
teleporters whoosh and transporters tinkle
 :)
Julia G
TSL Rowan Falta
Rowan SParker

Offline Troubleat Mills

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
teleporters whoosh and transporters tinkle :)Julia G TSL Rowan Falta
lol lol Yes, you're right, but I was looking for a slightly more technical/scientific answer. In terms of how (in theory) they would work.
Teen Second Life: Troubleat Mills   /  Second Life: (two lives, two names and two different egos!!) Callisto Carter and Maisy Mayo

Offline Explo Schomer

• Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
what would be the difference between a teleporter and transporter??

I presume that teleporters destroy and then replicate a person at the destination using materials already there, whereas transporters use the same particles etc that the person was composed of to start with. That is basically a guess though.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Troubleat Mills

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 11:22:25 AM »
I presume that teleporters destroy and then replicate a person at the destination using materials already there, whereas transporters use the same particles etc that the person was composed of to start with. That is basically a guess though.
Yes, that's the basis of it. A teleportation machine essentially replicates. A bit like a photocopy of the original. The one major flaw in the process (if teleportation was possible in reality) is that as each copy is made, the quality degrades. You'd end up looking pretty rough after only three or four teleportations  :o

Transporters are far more refined in their workings. They break down the constituent atoms of that person, send them as particles at near light speed to another destination and reassemble them again - hopefully in the correct order.....any Star Trek fans out there who remember the scene where the transporter developed a fault?!

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 02:13:42 PM »
And remember to check the transporter for flies too. (re Jeff Goldblum problem)

Offline Troubleat Mills

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 02:16:52 PM »
And remember to check the transporter for flies too. (re Jeff Goldblum problem)
:o lol Yes, that could be a very serious problem!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
So in the Simpsons when Homer buys two dalek like capsules which allow him to get beers out of the fridge without moving off the settee (and do other things I won't mention involving the toilet) and which mixed Bart up with a fly - those dalek like capsules are transporters?

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »
A teleportation machine essentially replicates. A bit like a photocopy of the original. The one major flaw in the process (if teleportation was possible in reality) is that as each copy is made, the quality degrades. You'd end up looking pretty rough after only three or four teleportations  Shocked

Transporters are far more refined in their workings. They break down the constituent atoms of that person, send them as particles at near light speed to another destination and reassemble them again

Mmmm but can't you get perfect reproduction in a teleporter? In the same way that analogue sound recordings degrade if you make copies of copies of copies, but digital recordings should be perfect (e.g. if I put an .mp3 sound file up here and you all copied it and then your friends copied it)?

And what's a "quantum superposition" when it's at home?
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Troubleat Mills

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:09:49 AM »
And what's a "quantum superposition" when it's at home?
In non-technical speak, being in two places at the same time. Quantum theory allows one particle to be in two different states at one time.

The London underground seems to be trying to get their passengers to adopt quantum superposition too. When trains pull into the station they give the instruction, "Please use ALL the doors to exit the train". There are many times when I'd find it really useful to be in more than one place at a time, but I haven't succeeded yet.