Author Topic: what does it mean to be online in SchomePark?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
what does it mean to be online in SchomePark?
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:10:18 PM »
TheSchome Ranger said a really interesting thing to me today - "what does it mean to be 'online' in SchomePark?". He made the point that while for some people this means doing things actively, other people might be logged into SchomePark all day but actually only pay attention now and again if something interesting happens. A bit like having the radio on while you're doing something else and only paying attention when somebody says something interesting or your favourite song comes on.

Hmmm... this is a really good point because one of the first statistics we were thinking of collecting was the time that people spent online in SchomePark so we could tell NAGTY and other people things like "we had of 50 people online on average each day and they spent 2 hours each in Schome Park". But quite clearly there's a lot of difference between somebody going into SchomePark for a Physics session/chatting with friends/building something, being very active, and somebody logging in and having it running in the background. I need to be clear about this - I am not saying either way of using it is 'good' or 'bad', just a different way of thinking about what it means to be in SchomePark.

What do people think? how do you spend your time in Schome Park?
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Re: what does it mean to be online in SchomePark?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »
Whenever I'm in Schome Park, everyone seems to be very busy indeed.

I know on the Main Grid there are avatars camping with minimal support from their RL partner, but on Schome Park people seem to be online to be active. SParkers haven't got a computer on their desk all day, they can't nudge the mouse idly every 20 minutes to stay online while they get on with the day job.

And staff are usually in because they have work to do, or because they're interested in going on. I rarely meet anyone asleep on the island.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
Re: what does it mean to be online in SchomePark?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »
Tricky, but I strongly suspect sensor type info is only ever going to get near the quantitative stuff, leaving qualitative analysis the far pricklier beast it always is.

Personally my time is split a number of ways, and now that Schome Park is live and running it's very hard to plan a chunk of time for any one thing.

If I am working on a build for instance, it is almost guaranteed (unless I am working at some ungodly hour) that I will frequently respond to inworld public chat within the area I am working, and of course to IMs pinging at me from all corners of the island.

Naturally depening on the nature of said chat/IM I may then need to "down tools" to engage in further conversation/explanation or something altogether more involving (sorting out a scripting issue for example).

I'm sure this is not uncommon at a staff level, but possibly different to the student view.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan