Author Topic: Dealing with troublesome behaviour  (Read 10411 times)

Offline jonty

• SPP
  • I am mainly sitting in a room with cold hands.
    • View Profile
Dealing with troublesome behaviour
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:18:44 AM »
So over the weekend someone enters the island and finds a natty way to put up lots of prims all over the entrances and exits. It causes hours of problems for those who like to have a neat and tidy schome.

How do we sit in judgement on acts such as this? Who should sit in judgement?

Gathering evidence is very easy inworld. Is it just a matter of somebody spotting an infringement and then applying a rule? or do we need to have a process of arbitration? Do we need people to build up an experience in defending and prosecuting inappropriate acts within this virtual world???

Do we need a Schome Law??

Do we need just one rule... Something of the kind: Nothing that impedes the access of others??? Deliberately or otherwise...

And should there be a range of punishments???

Do we just police ourselves?? What is the level of individual responsibility within our community of avatars????

Jonty
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:32:26 AM by jonty »

Offline Euphloozie Phlox

• Euphloozie Phlox
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with troublesome behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »
Interesting set of questions Jonty. I don't have any answers, but I'd like to mention something I heard recently at a presentation given about World of Warcraft and Second Life.

The presenter was a keen WOW player, and had also dabbled in SL. One of the points she made quite firmly in her presentation was that the creators of the two "worlds" were judge, jury and executioner, so to speak. There was no point in antagonising them and trying to bend their rules, of behaviour or whatever, because in the end they had the absolute power to ban you from returning indefinitely.

It is very interesting talking about shared responsibility and self-policing. However in the end somebody like PeterT, NAGTY and Linden Labs have the power to say who shall and shall not have access to Schome Park.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »
With someone like Blizzard (World of Warcraft) the policy is quite simple and works well.  Did you do something wrong?  Does removing you from the community (game) prevent you from spoiling other peoples experience?

Your actions are easy to monitor and you are equally easy to be held accountable.  If someone 'griefs' in SL there are many ways in which this too can be quite accurately monitored, and indeed, a ban can be made if it is felt that it is in the best interests of the community.

That said, there is nothing to prevent a simple "three strikes and you're out" type policy (so no need to autoban on first demeanor).  Hey, we all make mistakes, but anyone will have a hard time convincing me why 'we' (the community) should continue to put up with a persistent offender.

The experience within Schome Park has been fantastic so far, with SParkers largely being mutually supportive and enjoying what they can do with the environment.  Long may this continue, just don't get in the way of other people who are acting responsibly.
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »
Our AUP is fairly clear about what happens if you break the rules:

"Here’s what will happen if you break the rules
Generally, violations of the Schome community standards outlined in this Acceptable Use Policy will first result in a Warning. If you continue to break the rules you will receive an Account Strike and a Suspension, which means you’ll be temporarily prevented from taking part in the schome community website (including Schome Park). We’ll let you know when you have received an Account Strike by sending you an email. You get one account strike - after that your access to the schome community website will be removed permanently. If you use the schome community website (including Teen Second Life) to participate in anything illegal you will be removed from the the schome community website immediately."

Maybe we could put something in about an appeals procedure?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Jen

• Socratic Shepherd enjoying the Japanese Garden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »
There's often a fine line between people taking control for their own sake and people taking control for the sake of others, but I think the two seem very clearly defined in the case of this project. I agree that those who create the project and the island need to rein in bad behaviour in SL in order to keep the island and the pilot project working for those students who want to use it properly.

Two firm ways to concrete the difference here is to ensure students can appeal in a public place to disciplinary action (i.e in forums, which we have) and to allow everyone involved on the island a chance to attend public discussions on problem issues (which we also now have, e.g. Wed 19.00)

Good leadership makes suggestions and encourages feedback, appeal and agreement which is what is in practice in this Schome pilot. Bad leadership has none of these qualities.

8)

Practicality? I think emailing anyone who breaks community good behaviour standards and offering them the forum to discuss the issue is a good tactic.
Dr Jen Booth
Ethics & Philosophy Forum

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:54:40 PM »
How about a virtual courthouse?   >:D

Offline Jen

• Socratic Shepherd enjoying the Japanese Garden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »
How about a virtual courthouse?   >:D

Hey I'd take you up on that, actually I could hold an entire session around it!
I've planned a session on the role of punishments in society later on in the pilot which often gets quite hefty views out of the woodwork, so perhaps that will give us some feedback on how students feel about all this?  lol
Dr Jen Booth
Ethics & Philosophy Forum

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »
You could definitely go into role-play territory here, get a courthouse built, appropriate costumes .etc. and play out a test case (relevant to the use of Schome Park perhaps).

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »
The US High School group in SL ran a virtual law court for a while, role played ethical issued in a court situation I think
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 07:29:19 PM »
i think ordeal by combat, as in Arthurian court.
Actually 'wombat' seems to spring readily to mind. Yes, we settle matters of justice and dispute through ordeal by wombat.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 08:25:48 PM »
I don't think we've got any wombats on the island at the moment.

How about ordeal by dalek?

This brings to mind a conversation about hamster duelling I was having with Vlad a couple of months ago. There were pictures as well. How come you can never find PGSS mailing list spam when you need it?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 12:27:47 AM »
I'm seriousily worried about your mental health; 'wombats?' hamster dueling?

me thinks good ol' Dr. What needs to visit you and give you a special jacket that lets you hug yourself. :P

-Dr What
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 08:42:27 AM »
All these ideas are great, but on a slightly more serious note, I think things would work better if people just listened to each other. If someone does something you don't like, e.g. shoot a popgun at you, it is classed as troublesome behaviour. But I've noticed that not everyone listens when you ask them to stop doing it, and some people carry on doing the thing you dislike regardless. If they listened, realised you didn't like being shot at and stopped when you asked, it would reduce some of the trouble we've been having. Whilst popguns can be great fun, in the wrong place at the wrong time, they can be extremely irritating.

Trix

P.S. I quite like the sound of hamster duelling, actually, Hapno :P.......oops, methinks I'll be your first patient for that jacket *hides*
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
If someone does something you don't like, e.g. shoot a popgun at you, it is classed as troublesome behaviour. But I've noticed that not everyone listens when you ask them to stop doing it, and some people carry on doing the thing you dislike regardless. If they listened, realised you didn't like being shot at and stopped when you asked, it would reduce some of the trouble we've been having. Whilst popguns can be great fun, in the wrong place at the wrong time, they can be extremely irritating.
Very true. I just fire mine at people who are being annoying

And on that note, Hapno's decided to demolish his psychology department in the sky. However, I have a problem with that - he's decided to make the whole thing physical instead of deleting them, so that instead of the prims being freed up, they're now scattered over all the objects between where the library was and the sandpit. This just wastes staff time with them having to clear it up...

(edit: It seems he actually wanted to keep it and didn't actually remember doing what I have described... ???)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 03:31:35 PM by Decimus Schomer »

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »
Kali Schomer has organised a discussion on discipline within schools at 7.30pm on Friday 20th April - seems to me that this might well overlap with some of the earlier discussions about how we manage 'anti-social' behaviour on Schome Park (or not???)

Sign up for this discussion - and remember to keep an eye on the Schome Park events page so you know what is scheduled to happen on Schome Park.