Author Topic: Physics Induction Sessions  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Davee

• View Profile
Physics Induction Sessions
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone who came to the Physics Induction Sessions this week. We NPL folk enjoyed them, and I hope you got some ideas from them.

We have several options planned for the physics club as it gets underway, depending on your interests. For example we could tour the physics exhibits with you - and discuss topics like nanotechnology, climate change (whether the sun is cooling for example). Have you seen Al Gore's film - An Inconvenient Truth? Would you like to discuss it? Would you like to learn about cosmic radiation, air travel and manned travel to Mars?

Since we're at the National Physical Laboratory - thats where we keep all the primary measurement standards, perhaps you'd like to learn how we're planning to change the SI system to be even more accurate? Where is the Kilogram and what does it look like? How does an atomic force microscope work and how is it possible to measure forces inside a molecule?

Anyway for those of you intending to come to the physics club we need to know whether you can make the lunchtime sessions next week or if we should reschedule to later in the afternoon. Let us know.

And we need to know if there are anymore of you out there who would like to join the Physics group, so we may reschedule an additional induction session for you.

Please answer in this thread or sign up directly for sessions in the Wiki.

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Physics Induction Sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
I can't attend any of the lunchtime sessions - my lunch hours aren't that long and are booked up anyway. After school from about 7pm would be best, or even better would be a weekend.

Trix
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Explo Schomer

• Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
we need to know if there are anymore of you out there who would like to join the Physics group

Count me in. I'd be thankful if the session was after school, about 6 o'clock would be perfect. Thanks :).
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:16:44 PM »
AAGH! I was making a huge reply and, thanks to FF keeping the address as the main Schome page, I lost the post! >:(

I'll try again, but I'll just make points about what you posted, rather than quoting it, to save time

Nanotech - how small can we make it? After all, electrons need at least 14 atoms' widths (~1.5nm) to get a good flow.
CC - Apparently, the Sun is cooling. For that matter, that's useful evidance for Global Warming being caused by us... (plus the fact that, during WW2, people thought we might be dropping into an ice age - it was so cold people's guns wouldn't fire!)
Cosmic rays - they're interesting, especially these!
Air travel - I don't know entirely how it works, but I know that the less pressurised air above planes' wings (less pressure as it's flowing faster) draws them upwards
Travel to Mars - I doubt it'll happen very soon.
SI - I like the funny definitions of stuff that has, such as "one metre is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299792458 of a second"
kg - that's the mass of a block of some block of metal in France, isn't it? Are you planning to redefine that as something specific?
Atomic force microscope - nice name, but I don't think the literal interpretation (ie, you can see the forces) will work. But it'd be interesting to find it out.
Forces in a molecule - by measuring the effects, perhaps?
Lunch sessions - I might be able to go, but I don't know. I need to sort it out with my school.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:09:05 PM by Decimus Schomer »

Offline Wolf (aka Mirage)

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • well you don't want to meet me on a dark night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 07:41:34 AM »
hmmm... why don't we build a trebutchete and see how drag/airodynamics effect the thing being thrown. plus it would be very fun ;)

Mirage - i might get furry once a month but i'm still a nice person, Lycanthrope

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
hmmm... why don't we build a trebutchete and see how drag/airodynamics effect the thing being thrown. plus it would be very fun ;)
Go for it I say - strictly in scientific and non-violent sort of way needless to say ...

PeterT

Offline Wolf (aka Mirage)

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • well you don't want to meet me on a dark night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Go for it I say - strictly in scientific and non-violent sort of way needless to say ...

PeterT

nice mine's currently floating over the heli pad so please don't destory it! it's not finished yet! i've got alot of work to do...
Mirage - i might get furry once a month but i'm still a nice person, Lycanthrope

Offline Explo Schomer

• Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 09:19:30 PM »
nice mine's currently floating over the heli pad so please don't destory it! it's not finished yet! i've got alot of work to do...

That's my idea! I've already got a catapult built at 100 metres (near the large moon with a castle on top) It works quite well, and I've been using it to test the mass of objects. The main problem was creating the axle so that it worked properly, but I've got that sorted now.

Offline Explo Schomer

• Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »
Oh, and sorry for the double post, but I won't really be able to attend any sessions during school. The IT technicians refuse to allow any programs except those already installed to be ran on the system, and any request usually takes more than a month to be recognised. I'd be able to do any sessions after 6 o'clock on weekdays, and at the weekend.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »
Oh, and sorry for the double post, but I won't really be able to attend any sessions during school. The IT technicians refuse to allow any programs except those already installed to be ran on the system, and any request usually takes more than a month to be recognised. I'd be able to do any sessions after 6 o'clock on weekdays, and at the weekend.
Do you want Khairoun to contact your school to see if we can help sort out access?

PeterT

Offline Marko Schomer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
Do you want Khairoun to contact your school to see if we can help sort out access?

PeterT

That would be very helpful, thanks. Have you got the contact details of the school, or should I e-mail them to you?

Offline Explo Schomer

• Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 08:27:57 PM »
I think I ought to apologise. Marco has been using the same network and I forgot to log out, so he's been posting under my name for the last few posts. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Do you want Khairoun to contact your school to see if we can help sort out access? ...

That would be very helpful, thanks. Have you got the contact details of the school, or should I e-mail them to you?

We've got contact details.  I'll email you with updates ...

PeterT