5 (38.5%)
Friday 23rd 12.30
0 (0%)
Friday 23rd 18.00
2 (15.4%)
Friday 23rd 19.00
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Meeting to discuss building in SchomePark  (Read 6481 times)

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
Meeting to discuss building in SchomePark
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »
It's all getting very exciting in SchomePark, it looks like everybody can get in now, and lots of building is taking place! We're amazed at how many new things are being built every day.

However this also poses some challenges
- we've only got a limited amount of space and we need to work out a way to share it fairly
- we'll run out of building space (and on a technical level, 'prims') quite soon at this rate.
- we need to make sure everybody has an equal opportunity to build
- we need to keep the existing areas of SchomePark clear (Archaeology, Ethics and Philosophy, and Physics places, Scho-Op, etc)

So how do we decide? We're going to call a meeting for next week, in the Schome Meeting place (the auditorium) and we'd like as many SParkers as possible to attend, so we can come up with a shared decision on how to move forward.

Let me know which would be the best date and time for you, I've put some suggestions up here as a poll, or tell me if another date/time would be better.

Feel free to put up your thoughts and ideas on this discussion thread before then as well.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:38:56 PM by mgaved »
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting to discuss building in SchomePark
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:23:18 PM »
is the auditorum the big stadium?
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:28:19 PM »
is the auditorum the big stadium?

Yes - its the area on the west side of the island - with the semi-circular seating, arm chairs and big display screens.

PeterT

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »
Let me know which would be the best date and time for you, I've put some suggestions up here as a poll, or tell me if another date/time would be better.
Any time after from about 5-6pm to around 10pm on a weekday or from a bit after midday to 10pm on weekends would be OK for me, just as long as I'm told...

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
Date for Meeting to discuss building in SchomePark
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:01:39 PM »
Hi all

people can make different times for the meeting to discuss building in SchomePark, but it's a broad spread. 9 people have responded so far.

So here's my proposal: We'll have the official meeting at 19.00 on Wednesday but - I'll be in SchomePark from 17.45 - 19.45 : and will keep checking in to the auditorium, so I'll be around for a kind of drop in workshop.

I'll try to gather up all of the opinions from people who are interested and see if we can draw together some agreements about building.

If you can't make these times - or even if you can - please could you post your thoughts here on the forum.

Here are the key points to think about:
1. Where should people build? The SchomePark support team had envisioned people trying things out in the Sandbox - clearly we need places for permanent builds. We're not sure right now we want permanent builds on ground level outside of here.

2. How do we deal with our limited resources? we've only got so much space and a finite amount of prims we can share out. The SchomePark support team suggests we encourage group rather than individual builds.

3. Uploads cost Linden Dollars (which cost real money). What's the best way to make sure everybody can upload what they need?

4. How should we deal with 'anti-social' behaviour (e.g. griefing)? This weekend we had a problem with somebody covering the island and blocking doors with lots of cubes. (See http://schome.open.ac.uk/forum/index.php?topic=378.0)

5. Other things you'd like to chat about on the subject ("Any Other Business")

Thanks! Mark Cabaret
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:06:40 PM by mgaved »
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Date for Meeting to discuss building in SchomePark
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
... So here's my proposal: We'll have the official meeting at 19.00 on Wednesday but - I'll be in SchomePark from 17.45 - 19.45 : and will keep checking in to the auditorium, so I'll be around for a kind of drop in workshop.

I'll try to gather up all of the opinions from people who are interested and see if we can draw together some agreements about building.

At the end of the day Schome Park is there for you - and we want you to start taking ownership of it - your views matter.

If I'm honest we are feeling a bit precious about the builds we put on the island to start with - cos of the amount of work that went into them - hence the suggestion that new builds should be in the sky (following the lead set by SkyHigh@250 and others).

We are open to suggestions though - and we know that at some point we need to let go and let you take total charge - we're working up to it - please bear with us (and be particularly gentle with Woop who actually did most of the builds so has invested a huge amount of time and personal energy into making Schome Park look great and provide the facilities that the project strands need).

PeterT

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »
I don't know how to modify the News line at the top of the Forum.

It currently says 'Meeting Wednesday 21st (17.00) to discuss building in SchomePark!'
which, according to this thread, is wrong by two hours.

It should say 19.00 (7pm GMT).
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
is the world going to be down

normally is on wednesdays.... ???
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:03:58 PM »
I've checked the SecondLife blog http://blog.secondlife.com/
and, as yet, there is no announcement of any planned downtime this week.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Flio Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »
Why can't we establish a type of government in Schome Park? If that happened, then Schome Park would become more immersive and it would also give people better insight to how to run things. We could have elections. We could also have a global warming program to try and add more realism to Schome Park...

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
is the world going to be down

normally is on wednesdays.... ???

Tends to be alternate wednesdays - as it was down last wednesday it shouldn't be down this coming one ... (famous last words)

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »
Why can't we establish a type of government in Schome Park? If that happened, then Schome Park would become more immersive and it would also give people better insight to how to run things. We could have elections. We could also have a global warming program to try and add more realism to Schome Park...

I'm very keen that the SParkers take charge of Schome Park - so this sounds like a good plan.

How would you go about organising it - would we have a period of campaigning followed by an election?
Would people have to be nominated or could anyone put themselves forward?

How concerned should we be about the folk who have not yet got into Schome Park (and/or the wiki and/or the forum)?
Current stats look like this - of the 146 people who returned their consent forms
  • 58% have gone into Schome Park at least once
  • 25% have edited the wiki at least once
  • 16% have posted at least one message in the forum

PeterT

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 08:54:09 PM »
I think that having a sort of elected group of SParkers who look after the everyday running of Schome Park, with just you staff people coming in in emergencies/because you want to talk to us (though why anyone would want to talk to us is beyond me  ;)), is a good idea. As to how they are elected, I think that being nominated by other people is probably the best way of going about it, though obviously if they really don't want the responsibilty, they can deny being nominated, if you catch my drift.

With regards to the number of students, I'm not sure how worried you should be at this point in time, only being a week or so into the pilot. However, that's very few people who have posted in here/edited the wiki, which makes me wonder if people know they exist/are too scared to post/don't know how to post?

-Trix
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Flio Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
I think that alot of people may not have access to the software for Second Life either. Even though at my school they are attempting to install it, they are having some difficulties. This could be the reason for some people not going on Schome Park is yet but in due course I am sure more will. Also, regarding the government. I think that people should be nominated by other people(but as Trixxiee said, they could also decline this nomination). These nominations should be presented to the staff. The staff will then allocate a certain area of the island to the campaigns. People can then go to this area of the island where the 'parties' display their creativity on SL. Then, there should be like booths were you can vote for a certain party. This party will then become the new government.