Author Topic: Good morning from Cheri  (Read 5323 times)

Offline cheri

• View Profile
Good morning from Cheri
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:50:14 PM »
I happened upon Schromer Simpson as I was exploring the Second Life Campus. Thus, from across the seas, amidst the splendor of the Pacific Northwest of the USA, I joyously join the positive energy of this forward visioning global community. Technology offers such exciting potential for us all. Although my field is computer graphics and web development, my passion for education is enhanced by my marriage to a dedicated educator in the Social Work department. Transcending physical barriers to success through avatar-based communication and education is truly changing society. We see how science fiction manifests into reality, even within the short years of our lifetimes. We now have the power to create our own reality with virtual communities. History appears to reinforce the belief that if we can envision it, we can create it.

How do we want our world to look tomorrow? What are you envisioning today?

In Second Life, I can look however I choose. How will identity and personality be challenged by these new possibilities to leave the body? How will the relationship between the real and the virtual and between body and mind, be affected by immersion into Virtual Environments?

Do some environments encourage escape from the physical world more than others? I’m curious. When given a choice, I wonder how many will choose to embrace the uniqueness of their physical attributes in order to connect with other individuals with similar backgrounds and experiences? And how many will choose to create new bodies that they feel more accurately reflect who they are on the inside?

Answers start with asking questions...and questions encourage us towards exciting adventures in the search process.
Enjoy!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Good morning from Cheri
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »
Hi Cheri,

The whole avitar/self-representation thing is fascinating.

I recon learning is really about identity formation - finding out and developing who you are.

In virtual worlds - like Second Life - the way in which you can 'physically' change your identity does seem to add a new dimension to this.

I actually worry about what I look like in Second Life in a way that I don't in the real world - why is that?

(Kieron - who used to be called Schome Malone before the Second Life security breach - would probably say its because anyone who looked like Schomer Simpson currently does ought to worry about his appearance).  ::)

Offline cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
"learning is really about identity formation - finding out and developing who you are"

I like that.

May I quote you? And link to this project? Or another page of your choice?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:19:32 PM »
Quote away.

And happy for you to put links to the schome website (http://www.schome.ac.uk) or straight into the forum (http://schome.open.ac.uk/forum/).

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 05:04:23 AM »
Forgot to say - thank you for asking - and can you let me know where you quote me and what's your url (would be interesting to see the sort of stuff you get up to and by posting it in here you then are getting a kind of reciprocal link!) 

Offline cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 02:23:45 PM »
Right now I've just been researching BLOGS in my spare time. I see tremendous marketing communication potential stemming from mutual support through search engine indexing and placement by just mentioning someone's name or project. I'll let you know as soon as I post that so that you may review it for accuracy and we can make any necessary corrections. Networking is powerful.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »
I'm not too worried about 'accuracy' - was more interested in what sort of places you played.  :)

Offline cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:34:13 PM »
Here is an example of how avatars in virtual worlds can increase a student's courage to experiment with something new. I am using my Second Life persona to "hide behind" as I learn how this Blog stuff works.

http://terralucero.blogspot.com/

Feel honored Shromer, you are the first person that I have shared this link with.
Please do review the lastest post for accuracy in my mentions of your projects.
Best wishes.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheri's (alias Terra's) blogg
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 06:50:14 AM »
That's cool - I'm off to visit the Student Orientation Area (hope its as easy to find as you suggest!).

One of the interesting things about avitars is you can change your look very rapidly - if I didn't know it was 'you' I wouldn't have recognised your avitar on your blogg. Of course that may be my memory failing again - or it may be that you redesigned yourself? (You do say you bought yourself a new hairdo ...)

PeterT
PS Schomer Simpson rather that Schromer Simpson  ;)
PPS We're honoured that you are using your real name in here rather than hiding behind your avitar (now there's an assumption for you!)  :D

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 06:54:16 AM by PeterT »

Offline cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »
Good catch! That should be corrected now.
I used to work as a costumer, so changing appearances comes naturally. That's part of the fun for me.

I find the definition of avatar interesting.
av·a·tar (ăv'ə-tär')

The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.
[Sanskrit avatāraḥ, descent (of a deity from heaven), avatar : ava, down + tarati, he crosses.]

Words are such fun.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 05:07:42 AM »
Thought you might find this comment about 'courage to communicate' from the European Education Partnership (EEP) interesting and relevant to the things in your blogg

Offline Bee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
Wow Cheri,
You and Peter seem to be really into Second Life.
I am not that attracted. I wonder why. Maybe because I already spend lots of my time before the screen and long for more contact with the nature and real life around me.
I also dislike having to pay for it :-(

Offline cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »
I am not paying anything - just playing with a free account - and getting paid to research MMORPGs and Blogs. I've never been into gaming at all, but I am attracted to artistic creativity. There are a lot of talent developers interacting in that space. Also, with approximately 100,000 registered new users per month, Second Life along with other massively multiplayer communities, will have an impact on the future of our society. If we at least have an awareness of what is happening, we can help to nudge it towards positive directions.

Offline cheri

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »
Interestesting article on communication. Thank you Peter.

Offline Bee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 11:09:57 PM »
Hi Cheri,
If you are interested in blogging you may want to have a look at a project I am co-running for EFL/ESL students called Dekita (http://dekita.org), through which we encourage personal web-publishing and the use of social tools.
Bee