Author Topic: Physics Events During the Day  (Read 8768 times)

Offline JinxyPinxy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Diamond in the Dark
    • View Profile
Physics Events During the Day
« on: March 10, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
I've noticed that quite a lot of the introduction sessions and physics events are during the school day, which, for a lot of NAGTY-ers is going to be a bit of a problem (cos we're at school!). Personally, I get home at 5:00 (at the earliest), and so even something at 4:30 is going to be too early. Is it possible to reschedule these events? Or add more so that people who get home later can participate? :D

Thanks!

Edit: Hopefully (!) changed the colour so everyone else can actually read it!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:06:42 PM by JinxyPinxy Schomer »

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Physics Events During the Day
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 10:23:17 AM »
 :) Thanks for the feedback - we scheduled events during lunch hours (cos we know that some folk don't have home access) - however one of the things we wanted to find out was what times suited most folk best and we are planning to reschedule things to try to ensure that as many folk as possible can join in.

PeterT
PS I almost couldn't read your message - the light pinky colour is very difficult to see - is this something the system set for you? If not could I suggest that you go for a bolder colour (with which contrasts more strongly with the white background?

Offline JinxyPinxy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Diamond in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »
Ok, hopefully this colour will be better. Personally, I can't really do things in lunch times (too many clubs etc), so after school (well, after 5:00pm) things would be a lot better for me!

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
I agree with JinxyPinxy - I have no free time at school, and after I've eaten my lunch, no time during my already busy lunch hour, so some sessions after school/at weekends would also be very useful.
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »
same here

i will not be allowed to go to events during school hours
weekend events are better failing that after school hours
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:07:32 PM by Achilles Schomer »
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Wolf (aka Mirage)

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • well you don't want to meet me on a dark night
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »
personally i'm not able to do anything during school or after school til about 6 pm nealr every day. weekends are better but meh.
Mirage - i might get furry once a month but i'm still a nice person, Lycanthrope

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
personally i'm not able to do anything during school or after school til about 6 pm nealr every day. weekends are better but meh.

Thanks for this info - I have asked the team to reschedule some of the events we are organising for evenings and weekends.

Of course there is loads of stuff you can get up to even when there are no scheduled events - and there will be SNP mentors (we need a good name for these people) on hand for at least two hours every day.

PeterT

Offline Aladdin Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 04:44:24 PM »
My gifted and talented co-ordinator said that he would get me access in school only if I cannot run the program at home. As far as I’m aware the software did install and run, but I can only be sure it works once I get logged on. But does this mean I should try and push my co-ordinator to get it set up in school so I can take part in the daytime activities?

my co-ordinator seems reluctant to set it up, because this means creating my own computer (as the school computers are below standard) and is also worried bout the other pupils reaction to me taking part in what looks like a game to the untrained eye during breaks or study periods.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 05:55:29 PM »
My gifted and talented co-ordinator said that he would get me access in school only if I cannot run the program at home. As far as I’m aware the software did install and run, but I can only be sure it works once I get logged on. But does this mean I should try and push my co-ordinator to get it set up in school so I can take part in the daytime activities?

my co-ordinator seems reluctant to set it up, because this means creating my own computer (as the school computers are below standard) and is also worried bout the other pupils reaction to me taking part in what looks like a game to the untrained eye during breaks or study periods.

Another good question - and one I'm passing on to khairoun (cos she is our link person with schools and has been talking with them about providing access).

I guess you need to make a judgement call about
(a) how much time you want to spend working in-world (we wouldn't want you to overdo it - cos having a balance of activities and interests is generally a good thing)
(b) the extent to which you will be able to do the things you want to do within the project if you are limited to having access in one location (school or home).

Clearly access from school is essential for folk who cannot get access from home - it may be that it's expecting too much of a school to provide access if all their students who are on the project already have access from home. However, of course this does mean that we need to think about the timings of our activities as well - which I have asked khairoun and the strand convenors to do.

??? Does that help - even if it doesn't give a definitive answer one way or the other?

PeterT

Offline Aladdin Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »
Sure does help.... thanks... ill see how it starts off.... and see how time I do spend on it, and if there are activities I want to get involved in that are during school hour’s ill talk to my coordinator and see that can be done. But for now ill see how it goes.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
we scheduled events during lunch hours (cos we know that some folk don't have home access) - however one of the things we wanted to find out was what times suited most folk best and we are planning to reschedule things to try to ensure that as many folk as possible can join in.
I might be able to get on in at lunch (in my case, 12:55-2:00 on Wed/Thu and 12:20-2:00 other days). In fact, this would be best as I normally have to stay in my form room. Boring...
Also, after school is good, but only a while after 5:00, as that's the latest I can get home, though I normally get home at around 4:30

(note: At the weekend, I'll only be able to go to events in the afternoon - I always sleep until about half past 11!)

(Side note: none of the smilies look like a bored one, like on the NAGTY forums...)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:14:32 PM by Decimus Schomer »

Offline Aladdin Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
Just something to think about. if most of us are planning to come online during evenings, a lot of us will encounter problems due to the limited number of people capable of being on the island at one time (i.e. 40 of us) so the mote tie you can spend during the day the better. But saying that this doesn’t mean that every1 try and log-on at lunchtime because that would lead to the same problem.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 02:13:11 PM »
Just something to think about. if most of us are planning to come online during evenings, a lot of us will encounter problems due to the limited number of people capable of being on the island at one time (i.e. 40 of us) so the mote tie you can spend during the day the better. But saying that this doesn’t mean that every1 try and log-on at lunchtime because that would lead to the same problem.

Spot on Aladdin - are you already familiar with TSL? (Or how do you know about the 40 avatar limit per sim?)

PeterT

Offline Aladdin Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »
i've read or heard it somewhere... can't remember where exacally, i think it might have been on the virtual tour video of schome park, really cannot remember, was sometime last week when i came accross it.

Offline Davee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 07:50:51 AM »
Thanks for this. It seems to be borne out by the evidence as well: only 2 people have signed up for an induction session so far. I will change the sessions now to include evenings, but will keep lunchtime sessions unless there is absolutely no demand for them of course. 8)

Nanodave Writer (Davee)