Author Topic: Welcome to the physics strand  (Read 4722 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Welcome to the physics strand
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
Physics is one of the three main strands of activity within the schome-NAGTY Teen Second Life Pilot.

This board will be used to discuss any aspect of our physics work on Schome Park.

PeterT
PS Remember to change the subject line on your messages so that it is clear what your message is about

Offline Martin Le Voi

• View Profile
Sailing as an exercise in physics
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:05:57 PM »
I put up a suggestion about using sailing to explore physics in the discussion page of physics work on Schome Park.

Martin

I've added a link to the discussion page - PeterT
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:35:04 PM by PeterT »

Offline Martin Le Voi

• View Profile
Re: Welcome to the physics strand
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
I put this in the Physics Wiki because it asks for ideas there!

I was trying to think of a Physics suggestion around sailing. This is because you can sail in SL, indeed it is one of the more challenging operations, since you have to monitor four things at once (boat direction, wind direction, sail setting, external environment) and modify at least two parameters (boat direction and sheet setting) to keep going. Plus the complexity of tacking to sail "against the wind". An obvious advantage is that all this can be done without danger of drowning or being clobbered by the boom. (more advanced SL boats have additional sails: spinnaker: and centerboard control).

The physics are basically those of forces acting on the sail, from the wind. Sailboats lean away from the wind, just as in RL, so that is good. The sail is blown around, and is most effective when "set" properly. You could start with something simple like sailing downwind, then consider sailing at 90 degrees to the wind. Then consider the problem of "sailing against the wind": how is it even possible?

Martin

Offline Martin Le Voi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »
By the way, I'm not on the Teen grid, so haven't taken any boats over: or even checked that you can sail in the Teen grid. Did anyone take some over?  The Tako 2.1 can be copied as wanted.

Martin

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 02:13:46 PM »
I love the idea of sailing in SL.
However, we're a bit limited around Schome Park, as our island takes up most of the available space. (I spent some time messing around building an underwater house and there wasn't really room to swing a cat - not that I'd want to swing a cat, of course. I haven't got a cat). I'm not convinced we have enough space available to us to be able to do even the smallest of tacks.
What do others think?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
By the way, I'm not on the Teen grid, so haven't taken any boats over: or even checked that you can sail in the Teen grid. Did anyone take some over?  The Tako 2.1 can be copied as wanted.

Martin - would you like to be on Schome Park?
If so you would need to have an enhanced CRB disclosure, and an avatar that could be moved over from the Main Grid.

Email me if you are interested ...

PeterT

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
I love the idea of sailing in SL.
However, we're a bit limited around Schome Park, as our island takes up most of the available space. (I spent some time messing around building an underwater house and there wasn't really room to swing a cat - not that I'd want to swing a cat, of course. I haven't got a cat). I'm not convinced we have enough space available to us to be able to do even the smallest of tacks.
What do others think?

I agree that you shouldn't go swinging cats Fox - and there is a lack of water - unless you had a very small boat perhaps and wanted to negotiate the islands ....

Of course we may expand at some point in the (not too distant) future ....